How did we all do today

MC

I shot my local shoot this morning and carded a 48/50 and took high gun for second month in succession, I really ought to join the club because that would now be two bottles of wine I would have won.

Looking forward to next weekend as it will be my chance to beat suffolk shooter at his own ground :good::)

That ***** gun cartridge combination certainly is working :):D

MC,

I wouldn't worry the way I'm shooting at the moment, a blind person facing the wrong way and with blanks in could hit them better than I could. Yesterday really has dented my confidence, and the more I think about it, the more concerned I am. Anyway, whats this "at his own ground" rubbish, I have shot there twice, so have no advantage over you on that score.

Well done on the Bell result though. Can you believe that at 9.30 last night my missus gave me a pass for this as well :) But owing to yesterdays poor effort, I declined playing the "Lets spend the day together as a family" card. She thinks I'm wonderfully now, little does she no the real reason. :blink:

SS

SS,

You should have come to the Bell, that would have boosted you confidence. The clays were good targets not too difficult but easiest enough to miss unless yu had 100% concentration (which I didn't).

I missed 1 fast quartering going away bird and 1 rabbit that disappeared into a hedge as soon as it left the trap.

Don't keep thinking about what you missed and why as it will only get worse, just put it behind you and move on. on saturday I will put on my coaching hat and pull you up on any mistakes you make.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot my local shoot this morning and carded a 48/50 and took high gun for second month in succession, I really ought to join the club because that would now be two bottles of wine I would have won.

Looking forward to next weekend as it will be my chance to beat suffolk shooter at his own ground :good::)

That ***** gun cartridge combination certainly is working :):D

MC,

I wouldn't worry the way I'm shooting at the moment, a blind person facing the wrong way and with blanks in could hit them better than I could. Yesterday really has dented my confidence, and the more I think about it, the more concerned I am. Anyway, whats this "at his own ground" rubbish, I have shot there twice, so have no advantage over you on that score.

Well done on the Bell result though. Can you believe that at 9.30 last night my missus gave me a pass for this as well :) But owing to yesterdays poor effort, I declined playing the "Lets spend the day together as a family" card. She thinks I'm wonderfully now, little does she no the real reason. :blink:

SS

SS,

You have come to the Bell, that would have boosted you confidence. The clays were good targets not too difficult but easiest enough to miss unless yu had 100% concentration (which I didn't).

I missed 1 fast quartering going away bird and 1 rabbit that disappeared into a hedge as soon as it left the trap.

Don't keep thinking about what you missed and why as it will only get worse, just put it behind you and move on. on saturday I will put on my coaching hat and pull you up on any mistakes you make.

SS,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must say that for somebody who obviously thinks about techniques and ways of improving ones score as much as you obviously do, I would have expected your score to have been higher. :yes:

You've had professional coaching and you say your gun now fits you, so why aren't you hitting more targets?

There must be a fundamental flaw in your technique that is letting you down badly, are you "head lifting", or using too much choke?

I'll let you know next time I'm going to Barrow, (possibly this coming Sunday) then perhaps if you're free we can meet up.

I'm not a professional coach but I can generally tell where most people are missing targets and may be able to offer some advice.

Cat.

stuartp

does my missus shoot? no thankfully not

without wishing to sound mean , my shooting time is my time

away from the stresses of work and family, and a valuable release in todays pressure cooker world

having said that , my son (12) has accompanied us on a few ocaissions and is now the proud owner of a Franchi 20 auto, but alas he is certainly not as keen as i was at his age prefering the puter and X-Box which is a pity as he was showing some promise (just ask LB)

SS,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I must say that for somebody who obviously thinks about techniques and ways of improving ones score as much as you obviously do, I would have expected your score to have been higher. :lol:

You've had professional coaching and you say your gun now fits you, so why aren't you hitting more targets?

There must be a fundamental flaw in your technique that is letting you down badly, are you "head lifting", or using too much choke?

I'm not a professional coach but I can generally tell where most people are missing targets and may be able to offer some advice.

Cat.

Cat,

Too be honest I think the cold had more to do with it than anything else. I didn't think it was that cold when we left to go and so didn't put a coat in, just wearing t-shirt and thin hoodie top. My mistake, mental note made for next time, always put coat in car.

I agree my scores should have been higher, and on average they have improved by another 10 or so birds a round, but again no real concentration on my part as I was out for the day to enjoy it and meet up with Alison and Ian. I really need to sort out that side of things, but I know that when I "get in the zone", I become a not too nice a person. (100% opposite of normal - No jokes please, I am serious).

Regarding Gun fit, Yes I had the cast altered on the stock, but to be honerst I am struggling a bit with it as it doesn't feel natural. Comes from using the gun as it was for so long I suppose. The one thing I have noticed is that since I have had it altered I am hurting my cheek bone every time out. Again I think this is down to muscle memory and canting my head to the stock as I used to have to, so I need to practise dry mounting more, before I get rid of this habit.

Professional coaching - I start this on April 7th, so I haven't had any as yet (No MC you don't count as professional), but I am hoping this may cure a few niggles.

Choke wise, I am using Cylinder and Improved, thanks to an inspired find by MC when we last shot The Fenns, and I had Full and 3/4 in :lol: I know that on occasion I did shoot with head completely off the stock at Lakenheath and more surprising. was the fact that I hit the birds. Proves one thing, the gun shoots where I look.

I will practise, practise, practise and eventually I can hope to achieve TP's Score's, which by the Way TP fantastic effort, well done mate :/ 3 behind GD can't be bad.

SS (Suffolk)

(No MC you don't count as professional),

Oh OK I was only trying to help. :D

I personally believe that someone you shoot regularly with will be able to help more than someone you have never met. Yes agreed he will be able to spot immediate issues with gun mount etc and he will also tell you where you are missing but he won't be able to stand behind you at every stand and pull you up for doing something wrong.

One thing I have noticed and while we are on the subject is that you hunch up before mounting and calling for the bird. Now this may work it may not.(After all I am not professional) :/ Maybe I am doing it wrong but I try to stand relaxed in position with my gun muzzles somewhere near where halfway between where I will see the clay and where I intend to kill it. I then look back to where I will first see the clay clearly.

Another thing I think you should have more of an open mind about is cartridge choice, I know you will only use Eley and there is nothing wrong with that other than they may not suit you. They may not pattern well through your gun. I tried RC's at Lakenheath and did not like them and firmly believe that my score suffered. By using World Cup my scores have improved greatly.

Having said all that I also believe that the discipline involved in competitive Rifle shooting has helped me no end in the last few months in being focussed on the job in hand.

Please do not take this the wrong way it is in no way meant as criticism and I only want to help you kill more birds.

(No MC you don't count as professional),

Oh OK I was only trying to help. :/

I personally believe that someone you shoot regularly with will be able to help more than someone you have never met. Yes agreed he will be able to spot immediate issues with gun mount etc and he will also tell you where you are missing but he won't be able to stand behind you at every stand and pull you up for doing something wrong.

One thing I have noticed and while we are on the subject is that you hunch up before mounting and calling for the bird. Now this may work it may not.(After all I am not professional) :D Maybe I am doing it wrong but I try to stand relaxed in position with my gun muzzles somewhere near where halfway between where I will see the clay and where I intend to kill it. I then look back to where I will first see the clay clearly.

Another thing I think you should have more of an open mind about is cartridge choice, I know you will only use Eley and there is nothing wrong with that other than they may not suit you. They may not pattern well through your gun. I tried RC's at Lakenheath and did not like them and firmly believe that my score suffered. By using World Cup my scores have improved greatly.

Having said all that I also believe that the discipline involved in competitive Rifle shooting has helped me no end in the last few months in being focussed on the job in hand.

Please do not take this the wrong way it is in no way meant as criticism and I only want to help you kill more birds.

MC, It wasn't meant like that mate.

The cartridge thing is in everybodies head, no two cartridges of the same make pattern identical through the same gun. At the end of the day everybody should stick with what they have confidence in, hence I use Eley's and you use those ones you use. The only thing I do is vary shot size/Type dependant on what I am doing, Skeet, sporting, Duck, pheasant etc.

I know that in the past when it was mentioned I was dropping my right shoulder, you pointed it out and corrected me a couple of time since.

I think you and I need to go out on our own and then you stand behind me. I think alot of it is in my head at the moment as my scores should definately be on the up with the amount of shooting I do, but seems I may be at that plateau stage again???

SS(Suffolk :/ )

Again just a point I have noticed, I think you rush mounting your gun. I don't shoot gun down that often but from memory you seem to move later than you should and this makes you rush the gun into your shoulder and probably has something to do with getting a belt off the comb as you have been mentioning recently...

Again, I am a novice clay shooter with less than a years experience and I could be horribly wrong.

Jamie,

Face it, the Force is weak in you.

If you want to get better, get yourself onto eBay and get some midi-chlorians and a blaster shield / visor.

I know last Saturday was cold and you had inappropriate clothing - I would recommend some sort of cloak / cape.

Mung

You are right about the identical pattern through the same gun, but do you know that the cartridge you use patterns well through your gun?

I know we took the P**S out of Pin at Lakenheath about holes in his pattern but it is possible and the cartridge that you are using just may not suit your gun. It isn't just a mind game. Some cartridges are cheaper for a reason. If that reason is cheaper shot then it could be poorly made and create more fliers.

The next available saturday morning we will go to Braintree or Parkford and I'll knock you into shape. No impossible birds or the battue from the tower.

Failing that try this

For Jamie

Sorry I couldn't resist it.

Pin is quite right about the rushing part as well, you seem to tense up and not get yourself ready for the clay. Almost as if you are game shooting standing on a peg where you don't know where the bird is coing from.

The last overhead bird we shot at Lakenheath should have been like shelling peas yet it went wrong. This should not have happened, although it didn't help anyones concentration with Pin going on about a double full english breakfast with extra sausages. :/

I was only saying what everyone was thinking. I was proved right by the speed at which everyone covered the 300 yds from stand 1 to the clubhouse and the ensuing mele when we all got to the counter at the same time - quite uncivilised :/

Mungler,

The force is strong, unfortunately it is the Dark Side :D:/

Pin,

Both you and MC are right, upon reflection i was rushing, god knows why after all no pressure, enjoying the craic, but maybe it's to do with not concentrating and therefore not really being in the "Zone". I must admit I have become conscious of the comb hitting my cheek. So maybe mind games again.

MC,

I've put my bid in for it, cheers mate. I thought they only worked when you have one of those mini Death star things firing lasers at you, like what happened to Luke Skywalker.

As for patterning the Gun, I did that at Parkford last summer with Eley Cartridges, as Mark wanted to Pattern his Purdey SxS. Gun fires at a guess 60% high, 40% low, which I believe is the norm???

I had Alistair check it out whilst I was there and apart from the cast required throwing off to one side slightly, he said it was ok. Need to do it again now I have had the Cast altered.

Just on my technique of mounting, I was taught the Move, Mount, Shoot by High Lodge and apart from SKeet where I premount, I use this almost 100% of the time. I think I need to slow it down, as I really have much more time than I realise.

Cheers for pointing things out guys, it helps if people can give constructive criticism, in order that I can improve.

MC, you and me can have a training day on Saturday at Wattisham if you like. only £5 for 50 birds and nobody would no how many we shot at. I have a load of cartridges and a wallet full of cash, so anything goes. We wont stop for tea/coffee and can keep shooting.

Cheers SS :/

SS,

Sorry to pull you apart on a public forum but I don't think you are using move, mount, shoot. You are on for saturday although I can't be all day as I am getting a hard time at home about all the shooting I am doinf at the moment.

I will bring a video camera and show you what I mean. You movements after calling for the bird are not fluid enough for MMS.

When standing behind you it is as if you call for the bird and then forget it is coming, when it appears you mount and snap shoot it.

Anyway that will do for now, we will see on saturday.

Just to have it right if anyone spots anything with my shooting I'd be glad to hear about it - I am all up for free coaching..

Just for avoidance of doubt, Mungler, that means constructive rather than "your **** sell your gun" :/:D

I fully agree with you Pin,

The only way we learn is by someone pointing out mistakes. Even someone just saying Increase you lead can help.

Not one of us shoot in the same way, we all see lead and sight pictures differently. We all use differnet guns, cartridges chokes etc, all to achieve the same goal.

Well i went up to Steve Smiths again today they have a NEW sporting layout on so tried my hand and was over the moon with a 21 for 25 :D

He NOW has Rabbit on as well as Springing teal which makes it a LOT more interesting than the Driven he had on previously.

I even managed to clear up on the last stand :D Out of a group of about 10 of us there were one Me and one other chap (24 for 25) who cleared up the last stand. It's a bit of a bitch

The springing teal caught me off guard on the first attempt which i rectified but i was quite happy with the shooting today. I was on Skeet also and was managing to HIT the clays off the hip :/

I think it is the Weather to be honest as when i am cold i invariably shoot terrible but on WARM days i can do a lot better.

The First stand was Rabbit only 5 bolting and rather than open the barrel and put in a new cart each shot i decided to fire the 2 off before changing resulting in 4 kills. I opened the gun for the last and being a skinflint only put 1 cart in (jinxed myself) and resulted in a miss ARGHHH

Then the second was springing teal and a right to left crosser. Missed the FIRST pair as the Teal caught me out but i soon clattered the next 3 pair and dropped the crosser on the last.

The third stand was a Driven and a left to right crosser at a fair rate of knots so i took the fast crosser first and found i could land RIGHT on the driven if i timed the crosser right :/

Fantastic day the sun is belting down here instead of the rain and i was even wearing my T-Shirt (sorry HD not THAT one)

LG

I went to Wattisham with Suffolk shooter today and shot awfully, first round was 30/50 and the second round was 24/50.

If I am honest the layout was C**P, the guy had set it up as the wind was strong and in one direction, by the time everyone was shooting the wind was 90degrees further round as was pushing the birds well out of range.

The third round I shott better on although we didn't score it as SS wanted to try his new tyrelever, oops sorry, bank gun, nope side by side that was it. :lol::good:

I am shooting my local club ground tomorrow so will report back in then.

Got some wicked venison sausages though :good::good:

I shot my local club today and finished on 38/50. Not great but I had a blinding hangover. Something to do with vast ammounts of lager and wine round a friends house the night before.

No excuses just shot badly. better to get the bad days out opf the way before the Essex Masters.

Due to lots of rushing about Saturday i missed my usual haunt so ended up at Parkford on my todd and had a couple of practice rounds of skeet. I normally shy away from skeet but got well into it! Didn't do all the pairs as i was just using it as practice but i dropped 5 on my first round. The only times i've really done skeet was at Braintree and couldn't hit a damn thing. I'm sure Parkford is slower, can any local guys confirm this?

Being quite a slow shooter i was happy with the two rounds and might well continue to use skeet to sharpen/speed me up a bit. A very happy man. :good: