Paul Walker Dead In Car Crash.

Dr_Scholl

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, that's not to say that I couldn't have done. Motorways have a 70 limit, doesn't stop you driving faster, doesn't mean you will die if you do.

There is a possibility that you are wasting your breath here old bean. Ironically the casualty reduction forum that I was part of some years back did some interesting data collection regarding motorcycle speeds on "Red routes" the outcome suggesting that speed is far less a contributory factor than some would have us believe.

Inattentive driving was far more of a problem but it is much easier to enforce speeding legislation and penalise profitably along the way. It is then assumed that by reducing the speed of everybody to a crawl the accidents caused by the inattentive, distracted road users will be less serious, ergo less costly to the public purse.

The problem then is that more people drive distractedly in the belief that as they are doing so slowly, it is safe to do so.

Take the occasional glance at what other drivers are doing while they should be concentrating and without doubt on any journey you will still see high numbers of hand held phone users, quite a few of them texting. That could potentially be detected by some sort of roadside detector but speed cameras are far easier to install.

Marginally off topic possibly but then some of the other posts are also.

just been reading about this ,looks as if they were being stupid and brought the tragic accident on them selves ,not to be a party

pooper but let's hope it's a lesson learned for the young drivers

Agree. Having been involved in a crash with a fatality,without knowing all the facts surrounding this one i find it hard to give any respect if it is caused by stupidity. Lets hope it serves as a warning to all.

I've done 160 mph on a motorbike but somehow survived this very excessive speed. As said, it's not the speed that kills you.

i went on the corkscrew at Alton towers and survived too durrrrrrgh can't believe how thick some folk are ... Edited by delburt0

i went on the corkscrew at Alton towers and survived too durrrrrrgh can't believe how thick some folk are ...

it was especially when u went upside down ,,.logically Speed kills nothing else....

If you believe that speed alone kills then you'd best go join the queue with 'some folk'. I saw a seemingly innocuous car crash in the summer. Rear end shunt pushed a stationary car into the vehicle in front. Speed of impact? 30 or less. The elderly lady in the stationary car must have been in an odd position when the car hit, because somehow her neck broke, killing her. It wasn't speed that killed her.

Logically it's not the speed that kills, otherwise I'd be dead and so would you after your adrenaline ride at speed. Walker and Rodas died as a result of the impact which was probably because Rodas made a mistake, or something failed. It was aggravated by the speed they were probably doing, but almost certainly not caused by it.

This debate is so painful!

Take one driver; over the course of a year ask them to drive around at exactly the speed limit everywhere. The following year ask the same driver to drive everywhere 20% faster.

In Year 2 it is very, very, very likely that the driver will NOT have a crash. However, it is statistically MORE likely that they will have a fatal crash.

It is basic statistics and probability... If you play poker you will understand this simple concept.

You'll become an organ donor in time while you feel that "in tune". The guy driving raced cars for a living and still had this accident. It's tragic but he went out in a way that would have suited one of the films, by all measures though a really nice guy

"you'll become a organ donor in time"

Over a million miles on bikes so far without counting car and truck miles . So we'll see about that!

Walker and Rodas died as a result of the impact which was probably because Rodas made a mistake, or something failed. It was aggravated by the speed they were probably doing, but almost certainly not caused by it.

We can't be sure it was impact that killed them, as the car burst into flames so could of been the fire that killed them.

We can't be sure it was impact that killed them, as the car burst into flames so could of been the fire that killed them.

Still wasn't speed though :lol: .

I'm bored with this now, Mr risk averse aka Munzy has taken the fun out of it by banging the drum so repeatably that even I can't be bothered to bite again.

Google him mike, a fairly prolific Hollywood actor, nice guy all round it seems.

very nice guy and did loads for charity

vin diesel when he heard went right sound to Paul's family house and broke down in front of them all and said I am sorry.. you have lost your son..... his mum said but you have lost your other half.....

Shows how close they were

Still wasn't speed though :lol: .

I'm bored with this now, Mr risk averse aka Munzy has taken the fun out of it by banging the drum so repeatably that even I can't be bothered to bite again.

I'm not risk averse in the slightest, far from it! I drive a very fast car pretty fast most of the time. At a speed awareness course I had to attend just two weeks ago I got so fed up with the plebs sat next to me moaning about speeding being perfectly safe I very nearly had to leave.

I'm very far from being risk averse, I just feel very strongly that people need to know that speeding increases the risk of an accident. Simple.

For me that is part of the thrill.

If you believe that speed alone kills then you'd best go join the queue with 'some folk'. I saw a seemingly innocuous car crash in the summer. Rear end shunt pushed a stationary car into the vehicle in front. Speed of impact? 30 or less. The elderly lady in the stationary car must have been in an odd position when the car hit, because somehow her neck broke, killing her. It wasn't speed that killed her.

Logically it's not the speed that kills, otherwise I'd be dead and so would you after your adrenaline ride at speed. Walker and Rodas died as a result of the impact which was probably because Rodas made a mistake, or something failed. It was aggravated by the speed they were probably doing, but almost certainly not caused by it.

No one said speed alone kills. Speed is a major factor in road deaths and that is fact not PW stats. If you come off you bike at 40 and then at 160 you are obviously more like to die if you hit the same object at the higher speed. Also as your body is traveling faster is is going to slide/bounce further which increases the case of hitting something, the extra kinetic energy increases your likelihood of death significantly.

Then there is the fact that should someone step out in to the road, or a car spins out due to a tire bursting on the motorway your reaction time wont be fast enough. The impact of Walkers car would have been significantly lower if they weren't going so fast. You elderly woman example is a bit funny as well, speed was a fact...not the speed of her car but the speed of the one behind...its all relative, the closure speed was 30 mph the same as a car doing 60 and hitting a car from behind doing 30.

Listening to people on a shooting forum talk about how they are above the law and can ride around at what ever speed they think fit is a bit :/

Edited by Nikk

I'm not risk averse in the slightest, far from it! I drive a very fast car pretty fast most of the time. At a speed awareness course I had to attend just two weeks ago I got so fed up with the plebs sat next to me moaning about speeding being perfectly safe I very nearly had to leave.

I'm very far from being risk averse, I just feel very strongly that people need to know that speeding increases the risk of an accident. Simple.

For me that is part of the thrill.

Speed does not kill it is driver error,mechanical failure or a third party that causes an accident that kills.

And judging by your last post you will probably fall into the equation of driver error should you have an accident,because if you were on that course you did two things wrong,

1. Were driving inappropriately for the road layout /conditions/restrictions

2. Were not aware of your surroundings as you failed to see speed restrictions posted and the camera that caught you.

Also the statement you make about the risk of an accident being part of the thrill is crass and shows that you are an immature driver irrespective of your age.

Because you have a fast car that you drive fast does not mean you are a good or safe driver,I would suggest you took some sort of advanced driving test to open your eyes to safer driving.

this feels like the age old question about parachuting , if your parachute wont open or your reserve what kills you the 160 mph your doing or the ground when you hit it <_< actually neither its the fact your parachute failed what's know as the "root cause" and that could be it was packed wrong it wasn't serviced etc etc the speed your doing and the ground become intervening factors in an "outcome" to change the "outcome" you have to manage the "root cause"

so without all the facts in this event were just guessing as to the "root cause" and "Intervening factors" speed may or may not be in the mix

so this reminds me of the debate it the 70`s around seatbelts and before that motorbike helmets, all the usual retarick and BS that seat belts / helmets had no influence they would cause more injuries yada yada, all that happened was fewer people who required kidney transplants got them and more bikers survived falling off

Speed to much or to little will be a "Root Cause" or an "Intervening Factor" in a large number of motor incidents as will a host of other factors

Edited by chrisjh

I have never stated that speed kills, only that it increases the risk. If you hit 90mph on a motorway you don't spontaneously combust you just make it impossible for yourself to react as quickly.

Please don't misquote me! Speed alone obviously does not kill!

Also, I never claimed to be a good / safe driver because I drive a fast car...? No idea why you made that up?

And lastly it was missing Option 3... Doing 33mph in a 30mph limit.

Edited by Munzy

I have never stated that speed kills, only that it increases the risk. If you hit 90mph on a motorway you don't spontaneously combust you just make it impossible for yourself to react as quickly.

Please don't misquote me! Speed alone obviously does not kill!

Also, I never claimed to be a good / safe driver because I drive a fast car...? No idea why you made that up?

And lastly it was missing Option 3... Doing 33mph in a 30mph limit.

So you came into category 1 and 2

Again I would suggest you do an advanced driving course,on it you will learn numerous things, to be aware of your surroundings and to plan/think ahead are some of those things,and you will learn about appropriate speed to your surrounding and conditions.

"Speeding increases the risk of an accident.simple.for me that is part of the thrill"

Edited by welsh1