Hunting with a slingshot?

Mr Majyk

Anyone on here know if its legal to hunt with a slingshot? I'm pretty sure it is but i thought id just check? I've got a slingshot and have always wanted to go hunting with it just as a challenge to stalk close enough to my quarry to actually use it. of course i know you'd have to be pretty damn good to use it humanely, think i need a bit more practise, can bowel a can over at 20yds with relative ease these days but would still want a bit more practise before trying it on something like a treed pigeon or rabbit. so, anyone else ever tried it? if its legal that is?

Out of interest do you mean a slingshot or a catapult?

I have just ordered a catapult for me and the lad to have a bit of fun with in the garden and was wondering if I could get competent enough to use it for hunting.

Is there a difference? :/ always thought of them as the same thing? (queue someone describing the difference between the two :lol: )

I used one many, many years ago and you don't need to rely on a headshot even killing bigish birds from trees. If the range is short enough a big marble size projectile carries a heck of a lot of kinetic energy

thats another question, ammo, I've just relied on wandering round selecting the right kinda feeling stones, bout 20mm as round as i can find them. and I'm not surprised you don't need a head shot for a kill, put a few stones through full cans and it really does do a lot of damage! id still aim for head that way i get either a clean kill or a clean miss (in theory)
im hitting my can 50/50 at 20yd but that differs day to day. id want to be hitting my can 90% before i considered using it on live quarry as i have NO interest in injuring or maiming anything.

I have always thought of a slingshot as a strip of material (usually leather) with a cup for the bearing that you swing round before letting go of one end. They are a very old method of hunting. http://ziomania.com/images2008/aug/palestine509.jpg

A catapult is your standard y shaped stick with rubber bands and a cup (and all variants inbetween as they have got very technologically advanced).

Can I ask what make you have?

I got this one as it was relatively cheap but looked OK and got decent reviews http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230777782843?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Friend of mine is fiendish with one. He saw me out practicing, tried to teach me to shoot one better but it didn't stick. At first i couldn't hit a 6 pint milk bottle at twenty yards, got to so i could hit a tin can with one at 20 but have only ever got two rabbits with it, half inch lead balls at 7 and 10 yards, certainly works but i had to practice a lot to even hit a can.

For ammo try these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEAD-CATAPULT-AMMO-LEAD-BALLS-200-X-36-9-1mm-/281220367870?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item417a0a45fe

The guy who makes them doesnt live far from me and i love these lead balls. Pack a reall heavy wallop.

thanks for that, followed a link and found a lead shot maker, I've got access to a good supply of lead so casting them would be easiest. its a form of hunting I'm quite keen to try and get the hang of it just as a challenge. if it was legal id bow hunt, but i can't so i'll just use my slingshot. gone take plenty of practise though :lol:

• 1 month later...

quick update, got a 12mm lead shot caster from my other half for x-mas (she gave me a funny look when i said that what id like :lol:) produces good enough shot and gives what ever it hits the thwack of its life, smacked a rat in my wood shed with a shot last night…………………. was a tad messy……………...

Well done, my wrist rocket used to flirt 1/2 inch ball bearings straight through 3/8 inch plywood, and the back of my dad's garage didn't fare much better. Everything else was shot to bits with airguns. Thinking back now, I'm surprised he never said anything about it. We also used to fry his spare batteries by putting wire coat hangers across the terminals. The things we used to do as kids eh? But my dad told me that he used to make cordite bombs when he was a kid, and blow peoples dustbins up with them. Imagine that nowadays, it'd make the news, lol......

Well done, my wrist rocket used to flirt 1/2 inch ball bearings straight through 3/8 inch plywood, and the back of my dad's garage didn't fare much better. Everything else was shot to bits with airguns. Thinking back now, I'm surprised he never said anything about it. We also used to fry his spare batteries by putting wire coat hangers across the terminals. The things we used to do as kids eh? But my dad told me that he used to make cordite bombs when he was a kid, and blow peoples dustbins up with them. Imagine that nowadays, it'd make the news, lol......

Yes that really would make the news!! :lol::lol::lol:

hell, anything makes the news these days, everyones so paranoid!

• 4 weeks later...

I've spent ages practicing in the garden with my catapult as I quite like the portability and indiscretion of the old 'pocket poacher'. There's a lot to be learnt from archery when shooting a catty, such as anchor points on the body and visualising trajectory line. This video taught me a lot about aiming:

I use the 12mm steel bearings sold on eBay for £4/100.

I've spent ages practicing in the garden with my catapult as I quite like the portability and indiscretion of the old 'pocket poacher'. There's a lot to be learnt from archery when shooting a catty, such as anchor points on the body and visualising trajectory line. This video taught me a lot about aiming:

I use the 12mm steel bearings sold on eBay for £4/100.

thats quite a good video! cheers for putting it on the thread!