How long to burn out a .17?

Mr Majyk

I have only ever heard of a keeper who apparently destroyed a HMR in a couple of thousand rounds, I remain unconvinced.

The HMR has only been available just over 10 years and is not subject to the same pressures and speeds as centrefire, the barrel strength is much higher in % terms in a HMR in comparison to any centrefire I know, so they should last.

The fact is proper maintenance throughout their life will maximise longevity, and type of usage will also effect it, it will not necessarily be about how many rounds it can handle.

So...how long do they last...a long time is about as sensible an answer as you are likely to get.

I have only ever heard of a keeper who apparently destroyed a HMR in a couple of thousand rounds, I remain unconvinced.

The HMR has only been available just over 10 years and is not subject to the same pressures and speeds as centrefire, the barrel strength is much higher in % terms in a HMR in comparison to any centrefire I know, so they should last.

The fact is proper maintenance throughout their life will maximise longevity, and type of usage will also effect it, it will not necessarily be about how many rounds it can handle.

So...how long do they last...a long time is about as sensible an answer as you are likely to get.

i figured it'd last a "longtime" as it isn't pushing the same pressure as centre fires etc. but was just wandering if anyone had an idea?

Will the barrel make any difference ?? Ie heavy barrel in a rimfire :( I think the only knacked barrels are self inflicted with condensation as stated..

It shouldn't as it isn't the thickness of the barrel it is the bore inside which is the same no matter how heavy the barrel is.

2500fps and 17gr in micro rifling?

I stuggle to see how with "normal" use (i.e. not leaving it sitting with a moderator on with rain and Lil'Gun condensation running down it) that anyone could "shoot out" an HMR

temperatures and powder column involved are simply not high enough to destroy a barrel

i figured it'd last a "longtime" as it isn't pushing the same pressure as centre fires etc. but was just wandering if anyone had an idea?

As Deckers says, it will take a long time, a really loooong time, I should think. The various manufacturers will probably have figures on this but as a wild guess it's probably north of 100k rounds before you can spot any detriment in performance. In fact it may be multiple 100's of thousands of rounds. I certainly wouldn't want to have to pay for the ammo to find out!

Slightly off topic but I seem to recall reading somewhere that a .22rf barrel was reckoned to last for a million rounds fired full-auto!!

J.

The way to completely nawse a .17 is to adopt an over zealous cleaning regime but utterly muff the technique. If you hold the rod instead of the rotating handle at the end of the rod when pushing a jag and patch through you can, remarkably quickly, knacker the rifling.

The result of such an incorrectly but enthusiasticly executed clean was a loss of accuracy the like of which I have never seen. This rifle would not even group at 20 yards into a four foot square.

It resembled the sort of patterning you'd get from a shotgun cartridge only not as tight.

When we examined the board more closely you could see that the bullets were tumbling end over end as they left the barrel.

As I said, it only took a couple of cleaning sessions carried out in this way to knacker the rifling utterly and completely.

Not quite the same as burning one out though.

The way to completely nawse a .17 is to adopt an over zealous cleaning regime but utterly muff the technique. If you hold the rod instead of the rotating handle at the end of the rod when pushing a jag and patch through you can, remarkably quickly, knacker the rifling.

The result of such an incorrectly but enthusiasticly executed clean was a loss of accuracy the like of which I have never seen. This rifle would not even group at 20 yards into a four foot square.

It resembled the sort of patterning you'd get from a shotgun cartridge only not as tight.

When we examined the board more closely you could see that the bullets were tumbling end over end as they left the barrel.

As I said, it only took a couple of cleaning sessions carried out in this way to knacker the rifling utterly and completely.

I'm now much more paranoid about how i clean my rifle…………..

how the hell can a jag patch knacker the rifling? you'd think that patch vs. steel the steel would win out every time right?

Never say Never, but I find that a little hard to accept from incorrect cleaning! I have seen some barrel innards and crowns in an appalling state and never come across that sort of inaccuracy.

Edited by Dekers

Never say Never, but I find that a little hard to accept from incorrect cleaning! I have seen some barrel innards and crowns in an appalling state and never come across that sort of inaccuracy.

maybe it could be that bad if they were shoving .17hmr into a .22 chambered gun :lol:

This is no lie, I have no need to make this sort of stuff up. This rifle went from tack driver to **** within a month and after only a few 'cleaning' sessions carried out this way. I too would have thought the bore better than the jag, but honestly, just poking that thing up and down without allowing the rod, jag and patch to follow the twist utterly ruined it.

Both my brother and I have had to have our barrels replaced at between 7000 and 8000 rounds, 6 to 7 years old, admittedly stored with the sound mods on.

His was an Annie 162 barrel - mine was a Quad 15" barrel.

No amount of cleaning would get a group of ten shots on an A4 target sheet. We generally only cleaned when they started losing zero.

Both my brother and I have had to have our barrels replaced at between 7000 and 8000 rounds, 6 to 7 years old, admittedly stored with the sound mods on.

His was an Annie 162 barrel - mine was a Quad 15" barrel.

No amount of cleaning would get a group of ten shots on an A4 target sheet. We generally only cleaned when they started losing zero.

If you must leave the mods on then storing them muzzle down on a soft pad (we use carry mat offcuts) will extend your barrel life from crud and condensation falling back down the barrel.

I've seen an .17hmr Anschutz barrel with pitting after 500 rounds. Friend who owned it had assumed he could get away with not cleaning it like his old .22. Now, that could have been a steel imperfection making it more prone to corrossion, some particularly nasty ammo residue, moisture or something else. However, for the sake of a £15 boresnake...

:)

Edited by 1in9

I'd tend to agree here. I can't see what mechanism of damage would cause something like that to happen. Even damaged rifling isn't that much of a problem as long as the crown is reasonably straight.

Even if it had been damaged I can't see that a bronze brush or jag would cause that sort of damage. If you'd ever tried to saw through a rifle barrel then you'd know how hard they are. I simply cannot see bronze doing any sort of damage to a rifle bore.

Something other than simply bad cleaning going on here, I think.

J.