Snipe?

kent

Not shot a snipe for over 20 yrs, last took an age for the dogs to find the last on a walked up day then it disappeared from the bag, either it was dumped or someone liked them an awful lot. Anyhow got two places that's stuffed with them and am wondering should I shoot a few? plus side is they offer good sporting shots and I should eat them, downside is they are so darn small and so is it worth it and I suppose I need to think small non toxic shot dense but opening up at short range, not no.2 or no.3.

Like I say they will be used wings for tying "snipe and purple" fishing flies (one of my favourites) and I should like to try a few on the table as I cannot even recall eating the last now

So should I or shouldn't I ? for and against please

I stopped for a season because Mac thought there was nay point but back to shooting,or trying,them noo. Very testing bird and its 7.5s usually for me and they are very tasty,although not a lot on them. There numbers never seem to change here except with a bit of snow and then the ditches can provide excellent shooting.

At the end of the day,you shouldn't need to ask anyone on here if you should or shouldn't,just ask yourself.

I stopped for a season because Mac thought there was nay point but back to shooting,or trying,them noo. Very testing bird and its 7.5s usually for me and they are very tasty,although not a lot on them. There numbers never seem to change here except with a bit of snow and then the ditches can provide excellent shooting.

At the end of the day,you shouldn't need to ask anyone on here if you should or shouldn't,just ask yourself.

Perhaps your correct if you have to ask yourself then the answer is no, the thought is still there though. I have even started raising the gun but not feeling I can fire the shot. Is Mac the dog or what btw?

Not shot a snipe for over 20 yrs, last took an age for the dogs to find the last on a walked up day then it disappeared from the bag, either it was dumped or someone liked them an awful lot. Anyhow got two places that's stuffed with them and am wondering should I shoot a few? plus side is they offer good sporting shots and I should eat them, downside is they are so darn small and so is it worth it and I suppose I need to think small non toxic shot dense but opening up at short range, not no.2 or no.3.

Like I say they will be used wings for tying "snipe and purple" fishing flies (one of my favourites) and I should like to try a few on the table as I cannot even recall eating the last now

So should I or shouldn't I ? for and against please

They are lovely eating, there are lots of them, they are wild, are testing shooting, and are on the quarry list... pretty much a perfect quarry species! Shoot them!

I love snipe shooting but usually only do it when I can make a day of it and make it worthwhile when it comes to plucking and eating, I would say Kent if there is plenty around go for it, very sporting shooting and a great tasting bird.

I might be wrong but is snipe not classed as game? Thus being able to use lead on them in England?

I have seen several snipe get up from a drain I shoot , never attempted to shoot one as to be perfectly honest I dont know the difference ( or can never remember it) between the common and jack snipe , I therefore play it safe !

Generally common snipe call when their put up where as jack snipe don't. So if it calls its safe to shoot. If u have Sharpe eyes jacks are lighter in colour and smaller than commons. If you manage to get a really close look (through binos of course) jack have shorter beaks than commons. Hope this helps

Generally common snipe call when their put up where as jack snipe don't. So if it calls its safe to shoot. If u have Sharpe eyes jacks are lighter in colour and smaller than commons. If you manage to get a really close look (through binos of course) jack have shorter beaks than commons. Hope this helps

Shot plenty of snipe and its probably one of the hardest shots to distinguish between snipe and jacks,,esp with the time involved. If in doubt,sack the shot as with any species.

Shot plenty of snipe and its probably one of the hardest shots to distinguish between snipe and jacks,,esp with the time involved. If in doubt,sack the shot as with any species.

I agree. If in doubt Dont shoot. As I said I only shoot the bird if it calls when lifting. This method has served me well as I've never shot a jack and I shoot plenty of walked up snipe. Also they taste lovely. I shoot most of mine on the shore so they have sort of a "wildfowly" taste to them.

I have never shot one. Seen two this year. One was in a dyke i was stood next too waiting for the drive to start and the other was right in the middle of a mustard field.

Neither got shot at. Not enough round here to make me bother and they are a nice treat to see while out.

I get a lot on a few of my shoots. One where I walk and train the dogs we often flush 30 odd from one field. I love watching them to be fair, however if I'm out shooting and can get a safe shot off... I will.

Yes they are small, but they make a tasty treat! I wouldn't shoot them all the time but the odd one doesn't hurt.

Very hard to shoot indeed I shot my first one last month, here's a wee tip always shoot snipe into the wind, that means that they don't fly off as quick thus meaning you get a better shot.

Good theory but you are actually wrong about this in a funny kind of way. Actually there is no right or wrong but I found this method good for an easy shot. I'm not having a go of course or telling anyone how to go about it, but before I really got into woodcock shooting which is all I shoot now, I used to shoot a lot of snipe. We had hundreds of them on the low land behind my father in laws. They often flushed in flocks a dozen or more at a time. In the end I had to challenge myself and at the finish always shot them with an AYA no 4 in 410g. Anyway back to your point about wind. If you want an easy shot then definitely hunt at 90 degrees to the wind. Snipe "jink" left to right or on a horizontal plane and not so much vertically. Naturally they will flush and initially at least, fly into the wind. If you can arrange it that they fly across your front then you don't "see" or at least to a lesser degree the horizontal movement or "jinking" for which they are so famous. You are now just shooting a crossing bird flying at a constant speed. Just like a skeet bird on no 4 stand.

Fantastic little bird and deserve better than what I done with them. I used to take the tiny little breasts out, flour,egg and breadcrumbs and into the fryer. Serve in as basket with a selection of dips at a party or get together. That way you can "use" large numbers of them with little plucking or prep. I still rise loads when woodcock shooting but havn't shot one in years. I got my fill of them.