Freelander 1 a good bet?

Essex Ed

Been wrestling with this issue for a while so I thought I'd put it to public opinion. My heart say's Defender 90 but my head say's Freelander 1.

Thing is 90 doesn't tick enough boxes; I need something I can get my elderly mother into and take her out in reasonable comfort. Something I can take a young lady out to dinner in, something I can put springer into for shooting and general shooting vehicle. Last but by no means least I can do a long journey in ( Scotland/Cornwall etc)

A Freelander would seem to fit the bill nicely, but will it be nosebleed expensive to maintain? What should I look out for?

Before you answer I don't want another Jap vehicle, I've had a Fourtrak and it was brilliant in all departments but "been there done that etc" They're too agricultural to drive.

I'm looking at a 05/06 HSE spec at the mo for about 5k (80k miles).

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Are you a mechanic?

If not,save a bit more and get freelander 2.

agreed. As an ex freelander owner I'd agree. Watch out for window cables snapping oil leaks on transfer box. Turbo blowing the oils seals due to blocked filter on egr valve. Clutch replacement will mean new dual mass flywheel more than likely. Oh! And rot around the bottom of the doors, worst car I have had

Cheers

Tom

I got a 2000 model 2ltr diesel freelander which i bought 10 months ago, mot,d it again in middle of december it only needed wear and tear items, Front breaks and disks, back box and middle part of exhaust, and i reckon i wrecked the exhaust driving through a cut rape field otherwise it would,ve just needed the breaks and disks. and i,ve had no other bother with it, I Suppose its just your luck what you buy. i seem to have been quite lucky so far. :lol:

For 5 grand you would get a reasonable Freelander, nice spec etc, but it would get you a considerably older Defender that would feel bare bones in comparison.

Yes Freelanders can give problems, but so can any motor. My brother in law has an 04 plate TD4 that has been no bother at all.

As others have said, a Disco would be a good bet too. I've an old 300tdi P plate and it's been great. They will, with decent tyres, go most places a Defender will, but with the comfort of a luxury vehicle.

I have had 4 TD4's since 2001 and not had any probs ( currently have a FL2 ) , advice seems to be avoid the 1.8 petrol unless the cylinder head job has been done , genly got about 28mpg town work and 38 on a cornwall run . Always felt the FL1 needed a 6th gear on the motorway .

For what you are looking for and the money you have to spend my choice would be Discovery TD5. The freelanders are lovely when working but do have a range of known issues the main one being at the mileage you are looking at the expensive VCU and IRD. They are actually small inside especially the boot. I found I struggled to get a gun in the boot, and trying to get a dog in there as well with shooting equipment isnt gonna happen easily. The discovery is big enough to have a dog box in the boot and still have space to put all your gear around it safely.

Also i think a well spec'd Disco looks pretty good and has not age badly so the girl you take out for dinner wont be upset you have turned up in a tractor (defender) and your mum will like the heated leather seats after walking round the shops with you.

I bought my freelander from a PW member, its had a few niggles, but love it to bits, I'll drive it till it goes bang, and then get a defender

so get the defender

if the girl your taking to dinner dont like it, then she aint the girl for you :yes:

• 2 weeks later...