Decoy set up using a flapper??

yidoharry

Hi, as a novice to the sport I was hoping that some of the more experienced shooters on here could point me in the right direction regards this. What, or is there a preferred decoy set up to use in conjunction with a turbo flapper......should I be putting out as many decoys as I can or keep it tight into one small area using only a few?? Im going on my 2nd trip out tomorrow so all advice would be welcome, thanks in advance. We are probably shooting a choice of 4 large fields over rape or do have the option of shooting 3 woodlands

As Fenboy says, get as many as you can in a pattern. I place a flapper at or near to the point I want the birds to commit to.

Move on to the woods to finish your day with a roost shoot.

Good luck.

So effectively I cant "over do it"??And I assume a horseshoe or "u" shape pattern is the way to go??

My best days on the rape have come using 3 flappers, a rotor with dead birds, 4 floaters and 48 fuds. I added every dead bird until I had over 100 out there. Then pretty much every pigeon that could see the pattern committed. On those days it worked for me, plenty of movement and it looked like a flock from a distance. Also worth remembering is to check the rape. If its been nibbled off by the pigeons that's the place to be.

Edited by Mr pigeon

My best days on the rape have come using 3 flappers, a rotor with dead birds, 4 floaters and 48 fuds. I added every dead bird until I had over 100 out there. Then pretty much every pigeon that could see the pattern committed. On those days it worked for me, plenty of movement and it looked like a flock from a distance. Also worth remembering is to check the rape. If its been nibbled off by the pigeons that's the place to be.

nice....I keep hearing my dad and his 2 mates tell me how good it gets and they'll be times I wont know which one to aim for!!! going again tomorrow so would love to try something myself rather than rely on others ....will certainly give it a good go!

Birds favour a clear space to land so I tend to use a pattern with a kill zone to suit the wind as they prefer to come into it, you cant always have the wind on your back.

I scatter the decoys in a couple of areas with the rotary to one side head to wind and set my flapper in the other area, one thing I have found is if you keep running out of the hide fiddling with decoys any birds coming in will turn away early and others could follow them much in the same as birds will follow decoying birds coming in to your set up.

You hide is the place you have chosen to shoot from so stay in it until the birds stop coming or there is a lull in the flight line then dash out tidy up and back to the hide...

TEH

As we are discussing the subject, is it bad practise to mix different types of decoys. I have 6 FUD and 10 shells. My new shells look bigger and brighter than my older FUDs, and I just wondered if that might put the pigeons off.

It shouldn't put pigeons off, but you are in Hertfordshire. I've heard them pigeons are special down your way...

As we are discussing the subject, is it bad practise to mix different types of decoys. I have 6 FUD and 10 shells. My new shells look bigger and brighter than my older FUDs, and I just wondered if that might put the pigeons off.

I have 18 FUDs, four full bodied and six half shells and I maix them up all the time. If using lots then make sure you leave plenty of space for the pigeons to land and try and replicate what you see in the field. Pigeons do not sit in a straight line, do not like to sit on top of each other and do not all face in the same direction. They do tend to face into the wind and they do tend to feed in groups. When I arrive at a field I watch to see where they land, how they group and try and mimic this.

Practise and watching fir fields will help alot.

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I normally use 2 bunches of decoys with a gap in the middle for the pigeons to land and worked pretty well in the past. Just invested in 2 bouncers and a1 decoys air pro decoys to go on there ( spinning wing design) and a mororised pecking pigeon, where would people suggest to put the bouncers in that pattern type? Or alternatively do I need to switch to a horseshoe and where would there be best placed?

Unfortunately no rape for me normally savoys, cabbage, peas, potatoes, barley are the main crops.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by scottk

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I normally use 2 bunches of decoys with a gap in the middle for the pigeons to land and worked pretty well in the past. Just invested in 2 bouncers and a1 decoys air pro decoys to go on there ( spinning wing design) and a mororised pecking pigeon, where would people suggest to put the bouncers in that pattern type? Or alternatively do I need to switch to a horseshoe and where would there be best placed?

Unfortunately no rape for me normally savoys, cabbage, peas, potatoes, barley are the main crops.

Thanks

Scott

Very difficult to answer these questions. I would personally put the air pros in the bin. The rest (for me) would depend on wind direction and flightlines etc.

Another vote for the bin with the air pros , they are cack , bouncers are normally put well out fron the pattern to try and chanel the birds where you want them .

I cant say I bother much with them though, there are better ways to get bird into the pattern.

we all make mistakes , I brought some years ago a £50 a pair ! thats how I know they are cack :lol: , the rattle as the wings go round is enough to drive you nuts .

Lol! Looks like they may turn into target practice if the birds don't like them then! Cheers for the response guys.