peregrines

fengreg

Just got back from a morning shooting pigeons on rape near me, after bagging half a dozen the latest was still flapping on the ground and then a Sparrowhawk came from nowhere and struck it hard, after several minuites tearing off it's feathers it carried it off.

Half an hour later a small flight of pigeons came in, I downed the first and winged the second, at that instant while the pigeon was still in the air a Peregrine hit it hard and bound to it, then a second, and a third Peregrine joined in and a right squabble ensued over this pigeon, I watched in amazement as these rapters played and squabbled over this pigeon, dropping it from height, another catching it until they were out of sight, fantastic to see .

So the tally for the day, Human 22, Spar 1, Peregrines 1.

Not a bad morning.

Like you said adults with there young, I've heard that they sometimes do stay together until early spring until the adults begin to pair up for the breeding season and then chase of the youngsters off.

Lead shot is a problem for them yes, keep my fingers crossed on that one.

PW members are a weird lot!

Bunnage starts WW3 with a thread about a closed season for woodpigeons,

The otter thread has calls for culling otters just because they like eating oversized goldfish,

Peregrines and spars? Everyone loves them!

I'm quite disappointed! :lol:

you forget her shooting stock dove thread where someone posted picture of a dead one - it's feed an anti week ... roll up roll up .... like lambs to the slaughter

Peregrines to a massage table and nail bar ..... that's tame! :lol:

Just got back from a morning shooting pigeons on rape near me, after bagging half a dozen the latest was still flapping on the ground and then a Sparrowhawk came from nowhere and struck it hard, after several minuites tearing off it's feathers it carried it off.

Half an hour later a small flight of pigeons came in, I downed the first and winged the second, at that instant while the pigeon was still in the air a Peregrine hit it hard and bound to it, then a second, and a third Peregrine joined in and a right squabble ensued over this pigeon, I watched in amazement as these rapters played and squabbled over this pigeon, dropping it from height, another catching it until they were out of sight, fantastic to see .

So the tally for the day, Human 22, Spar 1, Peregrines 1.

Not a bad morning.

A lot of poetic licence in use here, but a nice story

Edited by Actionpigeons

i once saw a hawk take a pigeon in flight within feet of me, i was driving slowly through farm and there were two barns / sheds to the right of me with an open entrance to farm yard between the two barns / sheds, my mate was on foot slightly ahead of me to open next gate as he approached 2nd building he spooked a pigeon from it. the next thing i new was a blur directly in front of me and a mass of feathers as this hawk appeared through the yard opening and took the pigeon, that was nice to see