Retail discount scheme for BASC members launched - recoup your members

Simon Clarke

savingcardsscrollershome1-300x191.jpg

BASC boosts member benefits with big store discounts.

A new discount card scheme for BASC members offering up to 15 per cent savings at more than 70 major retailers has been added to the British Association for Shooting and Conservation’s (BASC’s) range of exclusive membership offers and benefits.

The discount cards can be used both in shops and online and could save BASC members hundreds of pounds a year, repaying the cost of BASC membership many times over. It will deliver savings on groceries, goods and entertainment at a range of leading stores including Sainsbury's, Asda, M & S, Morrisons, Debenhams, Currys/PC World, WH Smiths, Boots, Costa and many more.

Members select a discount card from the retailer of their choice on the BASC website and decide how much they wish to put on a prepaid card. For example, using a Debenhams card with a 7% discount means it will cost £93 to obtain a spendable balance of £100. The cards can be topped up easily and securely online or by phone.

BASC’s Nick Glazebrook said: “BASC is constantly negotiating benefits and discounts for our members on a wide range of products and services. The discount card scheme will allow BASC members and their families to enjoy savings on everyday purchases. The discount cards add to our member benefits which also include significant savings on new four-wheel-drive vehicles from six leading manufacturers.”

To take advantage of the discount scheme, BASC members can log in to the members’ area of the BASC website www.basc.org.uk and follow the instructions to sign up for the discounts and cards of their choice.

While discount cards can save you some money, you must remember you need to spend the full amount on the card as the retailer will not give you change,also in these uncertain times in the retail world you should ask if the "risk" of buying cards are worth it,if the retailer goes bust you will be unlikely to get your money back and most retailers will not honour the cards,it is an unregulated area of retail.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/10432189/Gift-cards-and-vouchers-how-safe-is-your-money.html

I loathe these kind of schemes.

A useful discount would be to show your BASC card to the retailer and get your X% discount.

Have to agree with you on that, i have a forces discount card and that is used in the way you say,it usually gives 10-20% off on a lot of retailers in high street and on line.

There are some fairly well gold-plated big names on there -you can pick and choose those who you think most likely to remain in business if you wish. Do have a look at the scheme on the website.

Comet, blockbusters, jessops,woolworth all big names all went down owing people a lot of money on a store card.And a lot of the bigger retailers issued profit warnings this year,there is no such thing as a "gold plated big name" these days.

As i said there is no regulation for the cards, if you spent £200 on a card and the retailer tells you they will not accept the card then the only thing you can do is sue them,you should also be aware that most of the cards have an expiry date and will be useless should it go past that date.

With BASC'S membership i would have thought negotiating a discount card would have been the way to go.

The only winner here I can see is the retailers of the scheme. Why the discount couldnt have been agreed on showing your membership card to get 5-10% off at the till highlights this being a retailer benefit.

Discount cards are the first thing to be suspended in difficult trading

Your BASC membership card will already get you discounts at more than 80 BASC trade members and we are working constantly to expand this.

The retail discount scheme offers the opportunity to save - if you're already spending at Sainsburys, Morrison or Asda for example, this will save you money. Have a look and make your own mind up - it's not compulsory but it's there if you want to take advantage.

To set up the mechanisms to use the same process for the BASC membership card in major retailers would, to be frank, require a greater weight of numbers. We are looking at it - sign up your friends and we'll see what we can do. http://basc.org.uk/join-basc/

Your BASC membership card will already get you discounts at more than 80 BASC trade members and we are working constantly to expand this.

The retail discount scheme offers the opportunity to save - if you're already spending at Sainsburys, Morrison or Asda for example, this will save you money. Have a look and make your own mind up - it's not compulsory but it's there if you want to take advantage.

To set up the mechanisms to use the same process for the BASC membership card in major retailers would, to be frank, require a greater weight of numbers. We are looking at it - sign up your friends and we'll see what we can do. http://basc.org.uk/join-basc/

bull poo how any members do you need why not join up with others org's to do a deal

80 trade members? Not one near me... Edited by londonercsecse

while i agree with others that simply showing out basc card would be far easier, how can we complain about something we are getting for nothing.. good on you basc!

out of curiosity, where can i find the list of 80 trade members who offer discounts?

Thanks for the explanation. Would be good if one day we could just use our membership cards so fingers crossed one day that will happen. It's good that BASC are actively seeking ways to help its members with benefits etc.

I subscribe to BASC primarily for the insurance and secondary because I believe they represent my interests well in a world that is anti shooting.

I don't really want or even need any discounts on shopping etc. Obviously I won't object to these benefits (not that I am likely to use them) but they are peripheral in the extreme IMO.

We will do all we can to keep improving on and delivering enhanced membership services and benefits.

David

Can you do anything with the game fair ticket prices? Reduced prices for BASC members, especially the BASC game keeper fair and such like.