Disco 2 off roading ?

Dbw1shrops

Hi all I took my disco down a bridle path the other day on a new perm to get to a big rape field ! Now when the farmer took me down there the other day to show me the field he had no problem at all getting down there turning round in the gateway and getting out of there in his pick up. I go down there Sunday unload the gear then go to move car out of the way just starts spinning the wheels so put it in fwd just starts going sideways heading for the gate any way managed to park it just back from the gateway but left a tidy mess and this is a new perm 😢 basically any time I seem to get the disco of road it seems to let me down am I doing something wrong the tyres are the correct pressure for the road (30) front (38) rear ! I just expect it to be so much better off road being a 4 by 4 and most of all a landrover ! Help am I doing it all wrong ? Plus it seems to rev high in fwd and a noise comes from the engine bay I think that might be the traction control kicking in ???

Dave

I think I have clocked on to what you are doing I have just read it again the four wheel drive is auto that stick that is infront on the gear stick is high and low range (that's why it revs high) wouldn't bother with the high and low range and the noise when the wheels spins is the tc kicking is (that's normal) I think the problem will be tyres get some good tyres i use grabbers great tyres go anywhere also good on road no sounds going down roads ect

So you don't bother to put yours in low box when your going through mud etc ? I know there perm fwd but when it starts spinning I thought you chuck it in low and and it would haul your backside outta there lol also haven't some of them got limited slip diff and there not connected I heard some were fitted with it and it weren't connected just need to buy a cable for it ?? Will deffo look into the new tyres now though ! 👍

Dave

I very rarely need to go into low ratio, only really use it for controlled descents and when really struggling for grip in slop. Most of the time I get around fine in high ratio and diff lock engaged when it gets slick.

If you don't have diff lock then in theory the traction control should keep you moving which really does suggest tyres.

Can retrofit on SOME models, but if it doesn't have diff lock it has TC instead which should do similar, see here ... http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

Edited by -Mongrel-

As said by previous posters, I rarely use low box. Mine is a Disco 1 so full time fwd, diff lock selectable. Unless it's really starting to get fun it's in high box, less chance of spinning the wheels in the mud.

Tyre wise I have BFG All Terrain fitted. Been on a few years now, been great, low wear, very quiet on road with good road manners. I would recommend them without hesitation. Got me to most places I've wanted to get to, and out of some bad conditions.

Jonathan

So you don't bother to put yours in low box when your going through mud etc ? I know there perm fwd but when it starts spinning I thought you chuck it in low and and it would haul your backside outta there lol also haven't some of them got limited slip diff and there not connected I heard some were fitted with it and it weren't connected just need to buy a cable for it ?? Will deffo look into the new tyres now though !

Dave

the disco 2 and all disco are permanent 4 wheel drive but on the d2 the centre dif lock controls was not fitted and went the traction control way until 2004- and it became a optional extra.

some of the late 2002-3 the transfer box cdl shaft was removed so if you want to fit it you will need to do moor than just fit the cable and controls.

the tc will sound and feel like a rattling on the brake peddle.

certainly sounds like bad tyre selection

Edited by fruitloop

I think Cooper do an 18" tyre in there Discoverer range. I have never had them but heard good things about them. Up to you but not much point get a second set of wheels and tyres as you will never end up swapping them over as far too much aggrevation, if you really want a set look on Landyzone forum the lads on there are always selling wheels so could pick up a second hand set of smaller alloys which you could fit the offroad tyres to and it will still look half decent instead of steels. Unless the steels you are talking about are a decent set of modulars which do look good especially with a lift kit and big tyres.

How much off road experience do you have? Tyres are important but less so than the driver!

Get yourself on the D2BoysClub forum for everything Discovery2, they have loads of pay and play days and the guys are more than happy to sit in with you on meet up days and give you advice on driving off road. If you haven't done much or any off roading you will definitely learn something, if you already have experience, you will still have a great day.

I was just thinking about getting normal steels 16 with tyres on I see what you mean about the aggro of changing them over ! But I had to have them powder coated recently because the last time I got stuck lol it scratched all the paint trying to get out and just digging a hole ! I haven't got that much off road experience only had the disco just over a year and not really took it off road that much it's just getting to some of the fields on some of my perms normally farm tracks and bridle paths.

Off road wise ive only scratched one wheel badly in all the years ive been of roading. Just give them a good jet washing when your done to keep them nice.

I would think it would work out more cost effective to put tyres on your existing rims, and if needed get them re powder coated/painted a few years down the line that it would to buy another set of wheels now.

Keep your existing tyres, and if you ever sell the vehicle get them swapped back, then sell your decent tyres seperately??

Ive heard good things about the Cooper Discoverer tyres, never had them either. I did have a set of General Grabber AT2's on a 4ltr Jeep, they were good too but a slightly softer compound than the BFG's.

IF you did decide to get another set of rims would full on MT's not be a better choice? That way you'd have a sensible set for summer and road use, and mud tyres for when it gets 'orrible.

Oh, and personally I'd just grab a spare set of rims off ebay, they come up all the time.

Edited by -Mongrel-