Stop shooting pigeons

woodfordpigeon

Well covered topic and some great replies but wanted to throw in my two pennies 😎

I have enjoyed two occasions when the boys in blue have stood waving at the gate following a call from "a concerned member of the public" (one of which was at 2am whilst lamping bunnies)

I keep a viper canvas briefcase in the car which contains: SGC copy, BASC membership and insurance details, signed copies of all my permissions including contact details of the landowner and google earth maps showing the boundaries, DEFRA licences showing what species can be shot, Killgerm and NPTA Certificates of courses attended and current UK SG and air gun laws.

On the second occasion one of the officers (young and obviously ambitious) was quite bullish and clearly upset that I knew more than he did but it's fair to say that on both occasions when presented with the above there was a rapid loss in appetite to discuss whether I am allowed to do what I do.

myself and a friend were shooting pigeons and the local plod turned up, but on the other side of the river across the field. They were looking all around to see where we were and I said to my friend we should go over. So we emptied guns and carried them broken with certs and perm slip in hand and went to the bank and we spoke over the river (only about 12ft wide).

The police said "thanks for coming over to see us, we had no idea where you were"

To which my friend responded "That's why we call it a 'hide' and not a 'see'.

Funnily enough the police were both laughing and turned out to know my friend as he is a policeman too but different dept.

They were lovely guys who just asked us the basic facts of what we were doing and where and where we were aiming etc... And they then said they'll go and politely tell the complainee to not worry about it as we were not doing anything wrong.

I was walking up a field of roots with my spaniel and had fired a couple of shots. The field was 500 yds from the main road across a very muddy ploughed field. On the other side of the road was a gravel pit with a hide for (twit)chers.

When I turned at the end of the field I noticed a plod van pull up and one got out and started waving and shouting. I couldn't hear what he was saying but gathered that he wanted to speak to me so I beckoned him to come over and stood waiting.

He shouted and waved some more and then when I didn't respond he got in his van and drove away.

I guess he didn't want to get his nice shiny boots all muddy.

Few years back I had dropped my mrs of so she could do a freinds hair. had a couple of hours to kill so decided to pop up a farm and look at some peas. I parked down the bottom of the feild as the other end had a busy road and pulling out was a ball ache. So im stood there with the bino's glassing the feild when a panda car came down the lane. 2 of them in there 1 bloke and 1 woman. He was driving and stopped got out and started asking what i was up to. Told him I was just watching the field for pigeons as i was planning on shooting it the next day. He started going on about me spying on the houses across the other side of the road. Told him I had permission and told him to go see farmer if he didnt beleive me.

I was dressed in normal clothes but had my shotgun cert with me. While he was writing me some kind of ticket for talking to me?(no idea what it was for!) i got talking to the very attractive young PC who was with him. She was asking all kinds of questions about why, what, when and how. So I gave her the usual speil and invited her to come out the next day into the bale hide in the middle of the field, or if she couldnt make it then to stop the next time she saw me and I would show her my weapon. She blushed, so I then told her how long it was 30 inch!!. It was a hot day but I thought she was going to pass out. Que the other PC to step in as I think he was trying to get in her pants as well and off they went. Unfortunatly never to be seen again!

Edited by pete1dart

i haven't had any police encounters yet but i did have one that made me chuckle, i was set up pigeon shooting in the normal manner pattern of decoys out hide along the hedge row. not a lot was coming till this random hippy looking bloke walked up the field and right into my pattern. i was giggling to myself wondering if he thinks they are real. anyway i stood up and shouted oi ! and he must of jumped 2 foot in the air in shock, i went over to him asking what he was doing as he replied "I'm looking for mushrooms man, have you seen any mushrooms man" i said no and told him it was private land, i then watched him fight his way back through the hawthorn and bramble hedgerow to leave. every village has one!

i haven't had any police encounters yet but i did have one that made me chuckle, i was set up pigeon shooting in the normal manner pattern of decoys out hide along the hedge row. not a lot was coming till this random hippy looking bloke walked up the field and right into my pattern. i was giggling to myself wondering if he thinks they are real. anyway i stood up and shouted oi ! and he must of jumped 2 foot in the air in shock, i went over to him asking what he was doing as he replied "I'm looking for mushrooms man, have you seen any mushrooms man" i said no and told him it was private land, i then watched him fight his way back through the hawthorn and bramble hedgerow to leave. every village has one!

Done almost the same - was under a camo net with just rifle barrel poking out whilst doing a rabbit ambush with an airgun in the summer. A dog walker decided that ignoring all farm "Private Property" signs was a good idea and ended up walking right infront of me and didn't notice me. My initial thought was to wait and don't move as it would scare the carp out of him. But his dog came back and sniffed so I said hi and he jumped so high and squeeled. Pretty much ended my attempt at a rabbit ambush but luckily had got 1 already. And gave me the giggles for a long time after.

She was actually...had a private pilots licence at the time, but we are divorced now and I remarried.....and I think you may be right it was apparently an OV-10 what ever that is but I assume its got twin seats. I believe the Plane actually crashed at Kemble also.

Yep that makes sense, the OV10 is a rather different aircraft.

Thanks for sorting that out, still waiting for Turbo to explain about the A10s though!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Yep that makes sense, the OV10 is a rather different aircraft.

Thanks for sorting that out, still waiting for Turbo to explain about the A10s though!

Ah, thought for a minute, Bruno was in trouble :lol: According to Wiki, there was one made/converted and the pictures are on google images.

I thought your reply about FM's other half being a pilot was a little facetious, and really did sound condescending. :yes: It was entirely possible that she may have been in one as a pilot or passenger :yes:

Ah, thought for a minute, Bruno was in trouble :lol:According to Wiki, there was one made/converted and the pictures are on google images.

I thought your reply about FM's other half being a pilot was a little facetious, and really did sound condescending. :yes: It was entirely possible that she may have been in one as a pilot or passenger :yes:

That was the one I mentioned, stayed in the USA and never entered service.

Perfectly valid on my part as all A10s are single seaters so she could not have flown in one unless she was a USAF pilot.

Apparently she had a PPL and was lucky enough to get a ride in an OV10 Bronco, lucky lady.

So Bruno I still want to know how she managed to get a ride in a twin seat A10?

Happened to me at work when I was taking in pigrlns and rabbits for the girls.A women butted in and said why do I shoot, I chose to ignore her but she became persistent. I bluntly told her I protect crops, whats your excuse for wearing a load of slap on your face, dont you realise that some monkey locked in a small cage in a lab has had to wear that slap so its safe for you to use!

like it :good::lol:

I would keep shooting them,and then when she starting killing me i would say,"well,what a hypocrit,"before drawing my last breath and possibly dieing depending on the method she was using.I would also probably try and touch her boobs because i think i would get away with it if i was being murdered!

Depending on her age her boobs could be between her kneecaps

I was walking up a field of roots with my spaniel and had fired a couple of shots. The field was 500 yds from the main road across a very muddy ploughed field. On the other side of the road was a gravel pit with a hide for (twit)chers.

When I turned at the end of the field I noticed a plod van pull up and one got out and started waving and shouting. I couldn't hear what he was saying but gathered that he wanted to speak to me so I beckoned him to come over and stood waiting.

He shouted and waved some more and then when I didn't respond he got in his van and drove away.

I guess he didn't want to get his nice shiny boots all muddy.

:good:

yeh had the pleasure of guarding greenham common back in the day ,8 ft fence and 12 ft fence we cattle prod u off the fence nuclear free lesbian .cross the 16 ft fence GI JOE gives u a 5.56 third eye happy days being an alledged fascist tool of the imperialist thatcherite dictatorship.we had some interesting conversations with the cnd types the yanks just told em to go away ..and go live in russia if they were that bothered spelt with n F

I had the pleasure of living 1/4 mile from the front gate during the 80's when the nukes came in. My Dad was a TVP Copper an did an awful lot of overtime around them.

We used to love watching the IAT from the field behind the house until the venue changed. Also got to see the Vulcan in '81 before they were mothballed (except for the Falklands excursion).

Me and my mate used to go up to the fence `round the back` (where his Nan lived) - one day we got too close and US MP's came to `greet` us with M16's. They don't **** about do they??!!

I had the pleasure of living 1/4 mile from the front gate during the 80's when the nukes came in. My Dad was a TVP Copper an did an awful lot of overtime around them.

We used to love watching the IAT from the field behind the house until the venue changed. Also got to see the Vulcan in '81 before they were mothballed (except for the Falklands excursion).

Me and my mate used to go up to the fence `round the back` (where his Nan lived) - one day we got too close and US MP's came to `greet` us with M16's. They don't **** about do they??!!

The ex used to work for the IAT when it moved to Fairford and her dad was a GCO for the Arrows so she had a good pedigree .

them yanks made it clear if we crossed the fence we would be in a bunfight and we were supposed to be on the same side.nervous of his nukes cousin cleatus was.which is no bad thing with all them docile pillocks trying to get in.if you really want to upset cnd put your peace through superior firepower t-shirt on and smile .

A few days after the 9/11 disaster I travelled from the Isle of Man to Coningsby for some pigeon shooting. IOM number plates are quite distinctive having a three legs emblem and a different numbering system to UK.

I left the car on a quiet road and was shooting steadily towards a one hundred day when a police car came tearing across the stubble towards me. I left the hide & broke the gun and introduced myself. Once the PC was satisfied his face broke into a grin as he told me a little old lady in a nearby cottage had heard shots & seen a car with Iraqi number plates on the road. She was worried I was shooting at the Tornados landing & taking off from the nearby RAF base!

Carried on shooting & finished the day with 102.

Happened to me at work when I was taking in pigrlns and rabbits for the girls.A women butted in and said why do I shoot, I chose to ignore her but she became persistent. I bluntly told her I protect crops, whats your excuse for wearing a load of slap on your face, dont you realise that some monkey locked in a small cage in a lab has had to wear that slap so its safe for you to use!

ah ****