Another apology request- Miners Strike

keg

Michael Dugher, a Labour MP who represents a Barnsley constituency, wants the govt to say sorry about how the miners strike was handled. Thanks god Cameron had the balls to say no.

As Frances Maude ( who I am not a fan of ) at least pointed out the intimidation and secondary picketing that went on... nice and gentle and lawful. Like the brick that killed a miner when it was dropped of a bridge in wales.

Labour are on cloud cuckoo land at the moment .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similar to where i'm from both Mam and Dads family are from the mining community and i knew people who were on strike. Personally from what i can remember from the time, and from what i found out recently i think (in no particullar order), Scargill, the NUM, Police, The Governement, & Opposition MP's (from all parties) all made some pretty big mistakes in how they handled the situation, but who lost most?? In my opinion The working miner and his family.

There wont be an apology from the Tory party.

Cheers

Aled

EDIT

Have a listen to on BBC Podcast for more info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/ukconfidential

Edited by Aled

What about an apology to the general majority over the 3 day week etc etc - we all make mistakes but the miners strike was the nearest this country has come to anarchy.

The court cases Mr Scargill has lost is an indication. President for life - my God, Sorry no that would have been his next title.

I would like to see an apology from Scargill

But there is as much chance of that happening as an apology from the politicians.

I too live in an ex mining village and there are still families that don't speak due to the strike.

Yes the whole thing could have handled better on BOTH sides, but it wasn't, so dredging up old greviences won't help anyone

:shaun:

The mining villages were devastated in the mid to late 80's...I'm from north notts,mansfield to be precise...11 pits were closed in and around mansfield...2 in the villages where I came from.....mistakes were made on all sides,I doubt an apology would appease those who are still bitter,of which there are many...

I too live in an ex mining village and there are still families that don't speak due to the

True..same as where I'm from... Edited by smig4373

There will be many here who will have dickie fits over it, but the day is not far away that an official apology over the tactics plod was allowed to get away with during the strike! WILL be made.

Like is often said the truth will out.

KW

Miners thrown out of work,beaten of the streets,whole communities destroyed,all to allow us to prosper with north sea oil. Are people that blind that they can't see how we all benefitted as a result of all that cheap oil. At that time one breadwinner could run the house. Now with the benefit of all that cheap oil two can't manage. Thatcher would have instructed the police and army to shoot the strikers if she had not got her way. One evil b***h. But then probably no worse than posh Dave,nick it all clegg and their side kicks who are "all in this together" with the rest of us,,,,NOT. Hopefully not as many paeodiphiles today.

Miners thrown out of work,beaten of the streets,whole communities destroyed,all to allow us to prosper with north sea oil. Are people that blind that they can't see how we all benefitted as a result of all that cheap oil. At that time one breadwinner could run the house. Now with the benefit of all that cheap oil two can't manage. Thatcher would have instructed the police and army to shoot the strikers if she had not got her way. One evil b***h. But then probably no worse than posh Dave,nick it all clegg and their side kicks who are "all in this together" with the rest of us,,,,NOT. Hopefully not as many paeodiphiles today.

I can see the foam developing in many mouths at this :lol:

KW

why should he ? he was right was he not?

KW

He destroyed the mining community by not having a ballot and making the strike official

If he had done so I believe they would have come out of it a LOT better than they did as they could have gone to the TUC and got full backing,

But no....Scargill thought he was bigger than everyone....

That's what he should apologise for....his ego

As an aside, living where I do and seeing the wastage that went on at the pits something had to be done, the amount of gear that went home from the pits on a daily basis was unbelievable,

times that by the amount of collieries in the country and you start to see the problem,

People clocking each other in, it was rife, but who cares....its was the taxpayer footing the bill......

"Deep breaths..... calm down"......

What about the pickets that killed the bloke in the taxi.....

There was thuggery on both sides,

My brother in law was a printer at the pit, his union wasnt on strike (so got nothing) but the abuse they suffered if they dared to go to work was nobodies business

I'm out of any further discussion on this topic because it makes my blood boil on how innocent Scargill and the miners were

There will be many here who will have dickie fits over it, but the day is not far away that an official apology over the tactics plod was allowed to get away with during the strike! WILL be made.

Like is often said the truth will out.

KW

from bitter experience the government have proved that apologies are given after they are dragged kicking and screaming to the alter of truth. Personally I think they are not worth the breath it takes to convey them. If our "betters" were to apologise for all their "mistakes" nothing else would be done. The motto used by government is do what we say and if it works out wrong(as it inevitable does)let someone else sort it in the future, we will be long gone.

why should he ? he was right was he not?

KW

From his perspective he was right, and the miners and the NUM got exactly what they deserved because of it.

If you allow yourself to be blindly led by a pig with his snout in the trough then you'll get your just deserts.

Those poor chaps at Grangemouth almost went the same way, led by the big earners at Unite, sitting back with gravy pouring down their chins while the working man loses everything.