Are these wear marks normal?

Oli383

Hi guys, I have recently bought a second hand Beretta Silver Pigeon sporter 30 which has only fired about 700 cartridges. I have found a few marks that I am unsure about and was wondering whether they should be there or if it is something that all the silver pigeons suffer from?

The main marks are not that bad at the moment but can see them getting worse, they are not visual with the fore end on the gun but that isn't really the point in my mind. Basically the tip of the forend is rubbing on the lower barrel which is slowly removing the blueing as seen in the pics, it is not bad yet but can see getting worse. I dont know if the fore end is too tight as to put it on on the gun the lever will not flick down to the locked position without me pushing it.

photo4_zpscd70b10c.jpg

photo5_zps6e99e75b.jpg

photo2_zpsc316f1d2.jpg

photo1_zps7a1a3eef.jpg

Also on the lower barrel again there is a mark where I think the barrel is touching the action when the gun is open but I believe this may be comun just checking.

photo1_zps8c8ced28.jpg

And finally the inside of the action, when i got the gun it was like new in there but after 150 clays with me comes back looking like this, again is it normal, I do apologize if I am being a big girl its just if the gun isn't how it should be I would like it fixed as I look after my things and want them to be as they should.

photo1JP_zpsf63f81b2.jpg

Thanks in return and ATB Oli

Edited by Oli383

I think it hasn't been dried off and cleaned properly before putting away.

Looks like a little rust. I may be wrong.

On which part are you suspecting rust? I have cleaned thoroughly and oiled well over the gun especially those parts. I cant see any if I am honest but may be wrong.

Thanks for suggestion

You will get rub / touch marks all over, guns are made to very high tolerances (a sxs has less as the fore end does not wrap around the barrels.) but the wood in the fore end will move. It's 100% normal, will not effect the gun or it's value.

That makes me feel a little better, I maybe though the fore end was to tight as it is really hard to put on. Is it a case of just making sure those ares are oiled.

Thanks

It's called being 'used', stop fretting and just enjoy!

Regards remmyman

Sorry just im only 16 and have worked my butt off to get a nice gun like this and want to make sure everything is normal, if it is then i am not worried just checking.

Thanks remmy

The first picture. Does that coincide with the staining on the inside of the fore end?

It does but i am 100% sure there is no rust there after looking, its silver where the bluing has gone no red there at all, maybe my bad pictures sorry.

It does but i am 100% sure there is no rust there after looking, its silver where the bluing has gone no red there at all, maybe my bad pictures sorry.

I know won't affect use but more just the value ect

Thanks again

Ok thanks all I thought I was being, just wanted to check haha, Just need the barrels to get checked now as just past the chambers the barrels are not all shiny like the rest, hopefully not minor pitting?

I've got the round marks inside as well, and is 6 weeks old and i've put around 300 shells trough it... is normal

Ok thanks, do you have the same with the fore end out of interest?

Sorry just im only 16 and have worked my butt off to get a nice gun like this and want to make sure everything is normal, if it is then i am not worried just checking.

Thanks remmy

No worries bud.

The point I'm trying to make is that these marks are from normal 'wear and tear'. They won't affect function or re-sale value.

Some people would 'fine tune' the wood to metal fit in these areas with a touch of sandpaper, me? I'd leave well alone and just let them 'bed in' over time'

Regards remmyman

No worries bud.

The point I'm trying to make is that these marks are from normal 'wear and tear'. They won't affect function or re-sale value.

Some people would 'fine tune' the wood to metal fit in these areas with a touch of sandpaper, me? I'd leave well alone and just let them 'bed in' over time'

Regards remmyman

I agree with you, I will let it bed in and just keep the areas well oiled

Thanks again

No, i don't. But as i said, i bought the gun brand new 6 weeks ago... may be not yet.

Ah right well I hope you don't but like I have said there not visible when fore end is one, enjoy your new gun

Thanks

I dont think I have ever had a O/U where the bluing does not rub off under the forend , dont worry about it , the marks on the action face are quite normal as well , they would be easily cleaned with a bit of bore cleaner and scotch pad.

Ok thanks I will try my best to keep them looking nice :) Over the moon thats its normal.

Agree with all the above. My silver pigeon is exactly the same. As said above, the forend will swell and contract with ambient moisture. When its really dry, ie summer, it will probably have a minute clearance, damp winter days will be tight and in between it will "kiss" the blueing and rub on it. Its absolutely fine and nothing to worry about. The only way you would stop it is to have the forend loose enough not to touch and then in the heat of the summer, it would be horribly loose.

Agree with all the above. My silver pigeon is exactly the same. As said above, the forend will swell and contract with ambient moisture. When its really dry, ie summer, it will probably have a minute clearance, damp winter days will be tight and in between it will "kiss" the blueing and rub on it. Its absolutely fine and nothing to worry about. The only way you would stop it is to have the forend loose enough not to touch and then in the heat of the summer, it would be horribly loose.

Ok thanks again for all the reply I am at ease now, I thought if it were then it would feel loose. Any way to stop it absorbing the moisture, I suppose stock oil springs to mind.

ATB Oli