Clay shooting practice in Norfolk for beginner

Greg.L

Hi Guys & Girls,

I've just got my SGC and am hopefully going to pick up my first gun on saturday morning (its going to be a long week waiting). Basically wondering if theres anywhere i can go saturday morning/afternoon to put a few shells through it?

Ive had a few lessons so have the basics and am safe handling a gun etc but i don't want to turn up to an organised day and be way out of my depth and not be able to hit anything. Hoping there maybe somewhere i can just turn up and have ago at some easy targets without any pressure. High lodge seem to offer this kind of thing but was wondering if theres anywhere closer to norwich or attleborough as thats where im picking the gun up up from.

Hi Guys & Girls,

I've just got my SGC and am hopefully going to pick up my first gun on saturday morning (its going to be a long week waiting). Basically wondering if theres anywhere i can go saturday morning/afternoon to put a few shells through it?

Ive had a few lessons so have the basics and am safe handling a gun etc but i don't want to turn up to an organised day and be way out of my depth and not be able to hit anything. Hoping there maybe somewhere i can just turn up and have ago at some easy targets without any pressure. High lodge seem to offer this kind of thing but was wondering if theres anywhere closer to norwich or attleborough as thats where im picking the gun up up from.

I know that the clay ground local to me is fairly busy on a Saturday, just part and parcel of peoples working schedules. I know people do their 10 on each stand etc... but it can be quite disconcerting when you have a queue of 5 people waiting behind you watching when you are relatively new, and you don't want all the pressure on your shoulders when learning. On the flip side you'll often see a whole host of good shots on a Saturday too and they may lend you a hand - however If it was me I would go and have a play on my own on a less busy time for my first time out.

I would if I was you, take half a day off work next week and head down mid week and have a play then when less people are around. Or you could perhaps develop a mysterious cough and cold symptom... :-).

Yeah the above is exactly what i was worried about, i want somewhere i can just go and practice at my own pace without the pressure. Then when im happy i can hit a few and feel more comfortable shooting i'll be happy to go along to any shoot and meet people etc.

Thats a good plan about the half day next week, i might have to see if i can get some time off and visit mid norfolk, its only down the road from me. Having never been to a ground other than for my lessons are these places generally pretty quite mid week then?

Cheers for the replies :good:

My local one in Essex is fairly quiet during the week - sure, there are guys around but I haven't had anybody waiting behind me to have a shot nor have I had to wait. On a Saturday at my local you have to wait your turn and shoot with people watching you waiting too, no problem if you are confident.

Put in a telephone call to the ground and ask them their usual quiet times and then take half a day thereafter perhaps? I sometimes do this with all things in life i.e swimming pools etc.

It is good to get critique and help, but certainly on your first attempt it may be good to get used to it at your own pace.

Cheers guys,

I've managed to get tomorrow off works so going to get my gun first thing and then will give mid Norfolk a bell.

I've seen the fair clays shoots and definitely fancy coming along to one.... Is there a good range of targets? What I mean is will I be ok as a complete beginner?

Cheers guys,

I've managed to get tomorrow off works so going to get my gun first thing and then will give mid Norfolk a bell.

I've seen the fair clays shoots and definitely fancy coming along to one.... Is there a good range of targets? What I mean is will I be ok as a complete beginner?

Yes fair clays would be ideal. a good range of targets and if you ask for Alan when you get there and explain your a beginner he will put you with a group who will look after you.and I guarantee you will be back for the next one.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the layout and traps a bit demanding at Mid Norfolk when I started out, can Knock your confidence, if you’re not careful. I picked up so many tips from You Tube and saved a packet on tuition. Smallburgh Rifle & Pistol club at Hainford have a few Sundays in the month and they have 3 good traps to get your technique right.