Storing logs

billytheghillie

Over here we put them off the ground on pallets as already mentioned and ensure air gaps so air can flow freely. Put a tarp on top to stop the rain from dripping down and continually soaking the logs.

+1

Air circulation is 90% of it, protection from weather is the rest.

All our wood stacks are sheltered from the prevailing winds direction, supported off the ground on old pallets and covered with a tarp over the top only. I've recently started making an airspace under the tarp by making a lattice of smaller branches on top of the pile. This seems to help the wood stay dryer.

I don't like covering them in tarps as it traps in moisture, I just stack logs on pallets uncovered, they sit there for 6 months to a year slowly seasoning then they get chopped, split and stacked in open sided but covered stores to keep dry. Even with this wet winter the logs are only damp on the outside and a couple of weeks undercover and they are ready to go.

If you have some form of shelter from the rain and plenty of ventilation as previously mentioned I dont think it will matter what direction you have them.

I have two stores for split logs, one is a leanto built from pallets, log poles and a corigated roof with the roof sloping toward the prevailing weather and has plenty of ventilation.

The other is on the north side of a shed which is a bit more closed. I dont bother to cover the log pile, just leave the timber to season and slice and split when my stores are empty.

I have a log store built up off the ground with a steeply pitched back mono pitched felt roof. all the sides are 3x5/8" treated timber with 5/8th gaps between as is the floor. Logs are seasoned after being split.

Cut the tree in winter before the sap rises and it takes about 4-5 years for good seasoning and the best burn for your efforts, depending on species. 6mnths etc amounts to burning green log, giving little heat (the energy is taken up in removing the moisture). Its good to finish them for a few weeks indoors following. The biggest thing is keeping them dry, when they are cracking / splitting on the ends they are getting there but depends on the type of tree ( I have some ash I am burning at present and it tends not to split much, which maybe indicates why they use it for axe handles and the like). This ash is only about two years though I am going to be short on room for a while so compromises are often made from the ideal.

Burn green and burn five times the wood

I have a shed, made from 4x6 timbers, covered in green painted corrugated sheets, open sided (facing north) about 12x6'. Stack the logs front to back in rows to the roof 5" gap between to maximise capacity. Takes 6-12 months depending on timber type. Almost anywhere in the Brit Isles, the prevailing wind is from the SW most of the time.

If you use a tarp, don't cover it completely, our it will get soggy and horrible! (guess who made this mistake...)

Just cover the top to make a roof. If you want to make a permanent store such as Kent describes above, even better.

I cut and split down to stove size straight away, so they are ready to burn in 12-15 months on a south-facing stack.

I have a log store built up off the ground with a steeply pitched back mono pitched felt roof. all the sides are 3x5/8" treated timber with 5/8th gaps between as is the floor. Logs are seasoned after being split.

Cut the tree in winter before the sap rises and it takes about 4-5 years for good seasoning and the best burn for your efforts, depending on species. 6mnths etc amounts to burning green log, giving little heat (the energy is taken up in removing the moisture). Its good to finish them for a few weeks indoors following. The biggest thing is keeping them dry, when they are cracking / splitting on the ends they are getting there but depends on the type of tree ( I have some ash I am burning at present and it tends not to split much, which maybe indicates why they use it for axe handles and the like). This ash is only about two years though I am going to be short on room for a while so compromises are often made from the ideal.

Burn green and burn five times the wood

Yes the drier the better but I think 4-5 years is overkill, I mainly burn ash, sycamore, birch and small amounts of other hardwoods and trees cut in one winter are ready by the next. The only exceptions are oak and willow, the former I get sapwood off-cuts that are split straight away and then stored for longer, and I don't bother with the latter. Wood is our main source of heating and It will burn fine after a year and without a few weeks inside the house (we wouldn't have room for that either).

Yes the drier the better but I think 4-5 years is overkill, I mainly burn ash, sycamore, birch and small amounts of other hardwoods and trees cut in one winter are ready by the next. The only exceptions are oak and willow, the former I get sapwood off-cuts that are split straight away and then stored for longer, and I don't bother with the latter. Wood is our main source of heating and It will burn fine after a year and without a few weeks inside the house (we wouldn't have room for that either).

Ask an Austrian school kid what a Seasoned log is and you will get a very specific answer, ask and British school kid and he will tell you its a chocolate cake