An unfixable screw loose - Beretta SO6

Beretta06

My Beretta SO6 has had a recurring problem of a screw in the trigger guard continually being shot loose. It really isn't what you expect from such a gun.

After 5 repairs by Beretta, it has finally been returned with a 'Poke it up your 'dark place' message.

Beretta have now offered to either make me a new one, or refund my money, which is very generous of them. So, do I go for another one, or take the cash and buy something different??? I own several premium Berettas and this is the first SO I have had problems with. Having said that, it does knock ones faith in the model.

So, what would you do???

I have around a week to make my decision.

Best wishes

BO6

Just looked at my SO6. There seem to be two screws, one into wood towards the bottom of the pistol grip, and one into metal just (3/4") behind the trigger guard. This one has a separate locking screw on mine. If its the wood screw, loctite wouldn't do the job. For metal, a little of the right grade (probably grade 222?) of loctite wouldn't seem silly. My SO is probably 15 years old, so the design may have changed.

Just looked at my SO6. There seem to be two screws, one into wood towards the bottom of the pistol grip, and one into metal just (3/4") behind the trigger guard. This one has a separate locking screw on mine. If its the wood screw, loctite wouldn't do the job. For metal, a little of the right grade (probably grade 222?) of loctite wouldn't seem silly. My SO is probably 15 years old, so the design may have changed.

Mine started with one screw (that kept coming loose). After three tightenings they made a 'keeper' screw to prevent it turning, the keeper then started shooting loose!!

Beretta tell me the gun has a 'harmonics' problem; the recoil resonates through the stock in a particular fashion, so it will always break free. It makes it unfixable, hence the offer of a new one. It is an uncommon, but not unheard of, problem.

The model is 1G1 with exhibition grade wood, so no real upgrade is possible - 1G2 has deeper engraving, but I don't like it much. Even if I don't keep the replacement, the current RRP is almost 39k, which is 13k more than I paid for mine when new. I guess I need to see the new one and either sell it, or hopefully fall in love with it!!

Not that it would be an option, but the only model upgrade would be an SO10, but I have a pair already.

An old SO4 would be great - it was my favourite ever from the SO stable.

BO6

Edited by Beretta06

I bet someone like John Whiscombe would be able to make an anti vibration sleeve for the screw to sit in, Beretta ought to have the resources to do this themselves but hats off if they've offered to replace it with a new one. Personally seeing as you already have some incredible Beretta's I'd take the money and order a Longthorne, would be extremely rude not to.

I have been fortunate with my SO6. There were minor teething troubles when it was new due to one of the tumblers dragging on the wood after wet days, but once that was sorted it has been trouble free for about 15 years. I was told when I had mine fitted that the stocks are quite weak and can break easily through the hand. This may have been preparing me for any accidents because part of the fitting was to increase the cast. Mine is the plain SO6 (no EELL).

I have a friend who had one (again new) a couple of years after I had mine. It was quite different with the locks having different pin numbers and in different places (in other words different locks) and he had no end of trouble with it. It was replaced by Beretta - and the replacement was troublesome as well, though less so. He no longer has it.

I have heard that some were built by Abiattico & Salvinelli - who I believe also built the SO9s. Not sure how correct this is, but I am pretty sure they built SO9's, but not so sure about some SO6s.

• 3 months later...