stick makers

pigeonbasher1

As you can see, I'm not an expert, going for function more than looks. The bottom one is staff length on which I put the handle from Father's walking stick. The top one is a piece of holly that had been strangled by a creeper which I found while beating in Norfolk in the late 80s. Just added a bit of stain and varnish and the handle is the most comfortable of any other stick that I've had.

Sticks001_zps0a680231.jpg

bit of info wanted please from any stick makers on here, came across a nice holly sappling yesterday, question is do i cut it now or wait till autum, also do i take the bark of prior to putting it in the shed to dry

thanks in advance,atb ray

Cut it now you have seen it! It will have changed by autumn anyhow. Remove the bark asap it dries horrid with it on and is hard to get off after. Holly is nice with carved embellishments which can be blacked in to contrast with the white wood. :good:

I make a few sticks each year. Usually hazel. Cut them "when I sees them" and trim up with a small saw. Let them sit for a year in my lean-to shed so they stay dryish but dont' crack. . Straighten them in the vice with wood padding after heat and steam treating the bent bits. Get antler parts from the Isle of Arran by post and use a gutter bolt with the head sawed off and a short piece of 22mm copper pipe to cover the join . Old cartridge for a ferrule usually. Blackthorn ones I find are the most difficult to source and straighten . I have had many deep scratches after a quest for the perfect blackthorn stick in a thicket.

After I have made one I usually leave them on the shoot or in a hedge by mistake and have to make another !! Have made a few holly ones - I always leave the bark on and it goes darker with age and gets really tough. Have bored out the wood with a bit and sunk a spent sawed off 303 case in there before now. I knock the old primer out and use a copper nail to simulate a primer and to hold the case end in place in the wood . Can look good if you like that sort of thing . If I am giving it away I use a small router and cut the appropriate initial on the antler. This shows up nicely in white against the brown. I usually varnish or use linseed oil as a finish.

I have made quite a few sticks over the years but only rough and ready ones.