what tree ?

holly

To be honest the bark don't look like Ash to me and I am surrounded by the stuff, got some on fire now. Ash has an almost black leaf bud and the bark is firm, difficult to remove but strong but quite smooth over all until you get to the really big trunks of older trees. wild guess is beech but from the phonto could be almost anything. Show us any bud, end grain and a close shot at the bark

I agree I'm just looking at a 6ins diameter Ash log now next to a similar beech one and the beech bark is much smoother similar to those in the picture.

The ash has very distinctive black buds at its tip which resemble a cloven hoof, very much unmistakable.

Did the branches come off the same tree or an adjacent one

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope - I am sticking with BEECH = as others have said the bark on mature ash is indeed ribbed. We have thousands of things or at least we did until Chalara Fraxinea kicked in - ash die back in case anyone is not up to speed with Latin!

There are signs of the ribbing on some of the larger pieces, which first led me to think Ash

Having said that and on closer inspection of the both pic, there is evidence to support both claims of Ash and Beach:

Ash

• Signs of ribbing on the larger logs
  • Some (not all) of the twigs have black leaf buds

Beach

• The overall colour of the whole tree (very dark)
  • The richer colour of the cuts (ash is lighter)
  • The dead leaves on the ground are broader (more like beach than ash)
  • Some of the other twigs are like the thin spikey beach ones

I am now leaning towards beach and the new pic shows some damage to some bark.

Ash bark usually has a green layer, none visible in new pic.

Beach bark damage, is usually clean and contrasting (if that makes sense). Just like the pic.

Therefore, based on the evidence shown, I would now say Beach.

PS definitely not holly, holly :whistling:

Nope - I am sticking with BEECH = as others have said the bark on mature ash is indeed ribbed. We have thousands of things or at least we did until Chalara Fraxinea kicked in - ash die back in case anyone is not up to speed with Latin!

We actually have millions of ash trees,it's not all doom and gloom yet.

It isn't beech as that doesn't grow symmetrical branches from the trunk (not sure the technical name), the only trees that I know that do that are ash, sycamore and maple. I'm 90% sure it's sycamore with an outside chance of being ash, but without seeing the buds or end grain I couldn't be sure. Sycamore has feint rays and ash has really obvious porous rings, either way they both split and burn well.

Edited by FalconFN

It isn't beech as that doesn't grow symmetrical branches from the trunk (not sure the technical name), the only trees that I know that do that are ash, sycamore and maple. I'm 90% sure it's sycamore with an outside chance of being ash, but without seeing the buds or end grain I couldn't be sure. Sycamore has feint rays and ash has really obvious porous rings, either way they both split and burn well.

You have lost me on that one. Unless you mean "fork". If so one of the forks appears to be slightly larger than the other.

You have lost me on that one. Unless you mean "fork". If so one of the forks appears to be slightly larger than the other.

Yes, buds that grow opposite each other on twigs often lead to forked branches (as opposed to asymmetric like beech), they don't have to be the same size, just opposite each other.

As said alder is bright orange/yellow when cut, ash is whitish/pink and sycamore is whitish/yellow. I still think it's sycamore.

Yes, buds that grow opposite each other on twigs often lead to forked branches (as opposed to asymmetric like beech), they don't have to be the same size, just opposite each other.

As said alder is bright orange/yellow when cut, ash is whitish/pink and sycamore is whitish/yellow. I still think it's sycamore.

With you now :good:

It's the right colour for sycamore and the damage to the bark is the same. But there is signs or ribbing on the larger limbs, I have never seen this on sycamore.

I'll still say beach, but I have been known to change my mind :whistling::lol:

I have never seen ash with that change in colour in the wood, makes me think sycamore - this wood tends towards a fine random black line in the grain. the limb looks to small to have any ribbing in it for an ash (figure on approx. 14" and over diameter before this occurs in my experience) but like I say the duel colour of the tree centre rules that out. Leaf, seed, bark and bud then grain are the way to identify a tree we have few of those clear enough in the picture. Unless dangerous personally I shouldn't ever cut a tree down without knowing what it was.

How hard was it to cut?