what tree ?

holly

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first thoughts were sycamore, but not that easy to tell from the small pictures.

Would it not have been easier just to look it up online urself?

There must be a idiots guide to trees somewhere. Would make it a lot easier when u can see tree standing shape of it and with branches attached and see the grain. The grain should be a dead give away

And as someone said u really shouldn't be cutting down tree u don't know wot they are (assuming u cut it down urself)

Edited by scotslad

I'm sure if u google tree ID something will come up. I used to have books on it as a kid, just like u get for birds

So far the 3 favourites are Ash, Sycamore and Beech, probably 3 of the most common hard woods there is. And usually preety easy to tell apart.

I still think it looks like Sycamore, but been a long time since i looked closely at the grains i must admit, sycamore does tend to grow more oval shaped lke that (althou beech cam too), i usually think ash is a more rounded stem (althou wil depend if stem or branch) Ash tends to be quite a white/light coloured smooth bark untills its mature

a pic of the end grain if it helps , the said logs were as i found them in a local wood possibly a result of last weeks high winds if there is an idiots guide will someone please point this idiot in its direction as i cant find one :lol::lol::lol:

Like I said earlier I don't know, but that doesn't grab me as Beech!

Golly Holly-

I bet you never thought that your enquiry would get FOUR pages of replies and some very knowledgeable ones at that!

I was the first to answer with beech..... and I still think that is the right answer.

I have looked at many ash trees here today of all ages and the bark of your logged timber just does not tick the boxes as mature or immature.

I would be 99.9% sure it is not alder for all the reasons that others have given - eg much more yellow or orange in the cross cut.

Sycamore - yes possibly but it is a much faster growing hardwood and your photos just do not seem to tick that box.

However, thanks for taxing some of the most arboricultural brains on P/W.

If it is any consolation we had a visit from 50 international dendrologists here from all over the world two years ago - great, we thought, they could identify trees for us but no, they fought like cats and dogs and argued over everything. We had four specimens of what we believed to be Pinus Pinea - they or at least some of them rubbished that but in the end we found that we were indeed right and it was Pinus Pineas, otherwise known as the Stone Pine.

I've just this week, felled and logged 30ft European Ash and a 35ft Sycamore in the garden. The log grain in the photo resembles the sycamore logs more than the ash. Have you got a magnifying glass the lighter annular rings on the ash will be like the photo below. To settle the debate it you could cut a small piece across the grain and post it to me I will pop it round to the arboreal scientist at the local arboretum for a positive identification... :lol:

post-427-0-73508900-1392591063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Judging on your new statement "a stolen one perhaps?" :rolleyes:

told by the lad whose job it was to move it " take it all if you want " which if i had a wood burning stove i would have done as you could drive to it on solid ground ,

asked said lad if he knew what tree type it was he said "i am just paid to shift it try google " . i should have replied googles pants try using pigeon watch , a much better data base :yes:

Thats helpful of the cutter :lol: althou he's probably flat out the now and can't rememer wot he cut where (i would hpe he should be able to ID the 3 trees mentioned as so common)

If no luck with the combined power of google and PW try going back where u got it see if other trees still standing are the same? Be easier to ID them standing with branches on, if that fails wait till leaves come out late spring be very obvious then as very different lleaves, althou the leaf litter will give u a clue the now as long as most of the surrounding trees look similar

Here is a couple of photos I took earlier of trees I felled last week. One shows a distinct likeness to the log on post 56 ...one is European Ash. One is Sycamore...Question is which is which...? :lol:

I know and I'm 100% sure which is which but I'm not telling until there's been a few guesses. :lol::lol::devil:

An no I'm not dicking around they are not both the same. :lol:

post-427-0-07202000-1392625477_thumb.jpg

post-427-0-94438800-1392625494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fisherman Mike