how much to shorten and thread barrel

wiltshirekeeper

Hi guys

picked up a cheap brno mod 2 the other day screwed the mod on and bang the thread broke off inside the mod. from looking at it, the thread looks push fit on to the barrel. Any idea how much it would cost to shorten and thread it again.

Let me get this correct, it sounds like a push fit threaded bush has been fitted over the barrel OD by what frankly must be a Cowboy wearing a big hat and spurs :rolleyes: . The only other thing I can imagine is the actual threaded end shearing off- that's sort of scary! and indicates more than a bad thread is amiss with that barrel.

Threading starts about £50 and works its way up to over £100 depending on who is doing it, proof or not etc.

Its like a collar that fits over the turned down bit of the barrel and is 'push fitted' . there are no fresh metal edges left on the barrel only round marks where this collar has spun off. Im going to get the collar out of the mod and go see the gunsmith. I planned on getting the barrel cut down to 16 inches so its more compact for the kubota anyway.

I have owned guns for 20 + years

yep its 1/2 standard stuff. when i get round to it ill post images you will all be stunned. i have looked at it again tonight and im 100% positive thats whats gone on. Had a look on youtube a few people have shortened the barrel with hacksaw and rethreaded with dies but it looks like it would cost more and be hassle. I think il give my gunsmith a call on monday see what he says. I only paid £45 quid for the rifle so it might end up with a 4x32 on it as a truck gun for checking snares and shooting any close range cubs

yep its 1/2 standard stuff. when i get round to it ill post images you will all be stunned. i have looked at it again tonight and im 100% positive thats whats gone on. Had a look on youtube a few people have shortened the barrel with hacksaw and rethreaded with dies but it looks like it would cost more and be hassle. I think il give my gunsmith a call on monday see what he says. I only paid £45 quid for the rifle so it might end up with a 4x32 on it as a truck gun for checking snares and shooting any close range cubs

It is hard to get a die running true square to the OD and a barrel needs threading concentric to the barrel ID / bore anyway not the OD, it needs a lathe and someone who knows this. better take it to a rifle smith IMO and get a proper shortening job done (they should check for any slack spots in the bore as shortening on a slack spot is bad) and a new crown cut correctly, it will cost more than £45 but still be a cheap gun

Quite often shops don't even do this themselves, they wait (you wait) until they have enough and ship them out to a rifle smith in bulk.

If that is the case ideally you need to find out where they are sending them and cut out the middle man, making the job quicker and cheaper going direct.

If its a shop I can almost guarantee its shipped out

rang three diffrent gunsmiths today they all said the same 100 ish quid 2-3 week wait. so im goning to get it cut to 16" and threaded. might treat myself to new mod whats the shortest mod you can get for a 22lr? thanks for your input guys

i phoned G P Gun services at High Wycombe

to see how much it was to cut and rethread my17hmr and they said its £55

got it into bozard and co gunmakers. £55 including proof and £42 for a sirrocco mod that swaps between a 22 or a 17hmr.. a couple of days wait but thats fine

I've heard from several sources that swapping the mod from .17 to .22 is a no no. To do with the build up of un burnt powder. I expect someone here will expand on this.