Channel 4 News - 28.02.14

woodcock11

Very interesting news tonight, much taken up with the worrying events in Ukraine & Crimea.

After that, we entered into the farce of what is the UKIP Conference 2014, held in Torquay - shades of Fawlty Towers!

Astonished to see that the disgraced former Conservative MP, Neil Hamilton, is the UKIP campaign leader.

When the Channel 4 Reporter tried to interview Hamilton, his access was blocked by bouncers. Shades of the Nazi party's management of events in the 1930's and a true reflection of what UKIP stands for.

Forget democracy and forget freedom of speech.....

If it had been the BBC, no doubt there would have been accusations of left-wing bias, but Channel 4 has proved to be the most impartial of all the broadcasters and is not much loved by Labour - old or new.

Do please think before you eulogise this particularly unpleasant organisation. The news programme also featured the Earl of Dartmouth, a UKIP MEP, who I happen to know - one of the thickest aristocrats on this earth!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting news tonight, much taken up with the worrying events in Ukraine & Crimea.

After that, we entered into the farce of what is the UKIP Conference 2014, held in Torquay - shades of Fawlty Towers!

Astonished to see that the disgraced former Conservative MP, Neil Hamilton, is the UKIP campaign leader.

When the Channel 4 Reporter tried to interview Hamilton, his access was blocked by bouncers. Shades of the Nazi party's management of events in the 1930's and a true reflection of what UKIP stands for.

If it had been the BBC, no doubt there would have been accusations of left-wing bias, but Channel 4 has proved to be the most impartial of all the broadcasters and is not much loved by Labour - old or new.

Do please think before you eulogise this particularly unpleasant organisation. The news programme also featured the Earl of Dartmouth, a UKIP MEP, who I happen to know - one of the thickest aristocrats on this earth!

Sadly the result of inbreeding

The news programme also featured the Earl of Dartmouth, a UKIP MEP, who I happen to know - one of the thickest aristocrats on this earth!

Wow, invoking Godwins law in the first post of a thread is some going.

Educated at Eton, going on to Oxford and gaining a masters at Harvard would obviously make someone incredibly stupid. <_<

So why do UKIP worry you?

Have you bought into the scaremongering? Or worried Tories?

Morning, a bit early in the day for politics but you asked a question and deserve an answer, ALL politicians worry me without exception, the older i get the less I trust them, Extreme right and extreme left worry me in fact extreme anything worry me, i understand that UKIP are very right, bordering on extreme, I have a long memory and have visited war graves in Germany to pay respect to members of my family that i didn't meet because of the extreme right, If I'm wrong about UKIP then I apologize. It all remains to be seen.

Morning, a bit early in the day for politics but you asked a question and deserve an answer, ALL politicians worry me without exception, the older i get the less I trust them, Extreme right and extreme left worry me in fact extreme anything worry me, i understand that UKIP are very right, bordering on extreme, I have a long memory and have visited war graves in Germany to pay respect to members of my family that i didn't meet because of the extreme right, If I'm wrong about UKIP then I apologize. It all remains to be seen.

My own thoughts exactly - 100 years since the start of World War 1 and 75 years since the start of World War 2. Not so very long ago but a lot of people seem to have forgotten those tragic events - or maybe it is just that they see some sort of short term advantage for themselves by adopting scaremongering tactics. For Hitler, it was the Jews, for UKIP and their even nastier fellow travellers, the BNP, it is immigrants and all dressed up under the cloak of "Britishness" or "patriotism".

Like you, I am cynical about most if not all politicians but this lot are in a league of their own.

Edited by woodcock11

Wow, invoking Godwins law in the first post of a thread is some going.

Educated at Eton, going on to Oxford and gaining a masters at Harvard would obviously make someone incredibly stupid. <_<

Just bring up the interview on Channel 4 Replay and see for yourself! Who knows what his Lordship has been up to since his academic achievements of 40 odd years ago and do remember that standards then were not as high as they are nowadays.

i understand that UKIP are very right, bordering on extreme, a

Are they though? They're probably no more right wing than the old conservative party of the 70's/80's.

The problem is the old labour/conservative divide of left/right wing politics has merged so nobody really knows what each party represents anymore.

It would probably explain why so many conservatives have defected to UKIP over the last few years.

Regardless of where the perceived stance is......if everyone keeps voting red or blue then nothing is ever going to change as both parties are so close on most matters.

I know that come the next General Election UKIP will not have a chance of gaining enough MPs to form a Government....I do think they may get a foothold in Parliament but that's it.

I also know that if we don't vote for change then the status quo will prevail and we can all carry on moaning.

However if enough people do vote for UKIP the message will be sent out to the major parties that unless they start directing policy towards what the public want then their cosy grip on power is not going to be so assured and for that reason, even if it lets a Labour Government in I will vote UKIP in the hope that by the following election things may have changed.

Regardless of where the perceived stance is......if everyone keeps voting red or blue then nothing is ever going to change as both parties are so close on most matters.

I know that come the next General Election UKIP will not have a chance of gaining enough MPs to form a Government....I do think they may get a foothold in Parliament but that's it.

I also know that if we don't vote for change then the status quo will prevail and we can all carry on moaning.

However if enough people do vote for UKIP the message will be sent out to the major parties that unless they start directing policy towards what the public want then their cosy grip on power is not going to be so assured and for that reason, even if it lets a Labour Government in I will vote UKIP in the hope that by the following election things may have changed.

Oh dear, maybe it is forgivable to forget what happened in 1914 or 1939 but surely no-one can have forgotten the total mess that Labour left the country in, in 2010 - just four years ago and, believe you me, that by comparison with Milliband & Balls - Blair, Brown and Darling were the height of competence.

Yes after five years of Labour, things will have changed and it will make the situation that Britain is in now seem like seem like the Promised Land........

Tactical voting will produce the worst of all worlds

Edited by woodcock11

Are they though? They're probably no more right wing than the old conservative party of the 70's/80's.

The problem is the old labour/conservative divide of left/right wing politics has merged so nobody really knows what each party represents anymore.

It would probably explain why so many conservatives have defected to UKIP over the last few years.

I'm yet to be convinced that there not, there seems to be the occasional crazy coming out (gay floods) and this earl fellow despite his qualifications woodcock says his thick well at least he knows him which is always a good starting point to base an opinion, I understand my worries about them is hear say and nothing more but I sometimes wonder what happened to the old NF of the 70s!

Pretty much agree with that but my biggest fear is Labour, the last thing we need and future generations need is another term of hand outs and bribery, sooner or later like a Christmas credit card bill the debt has to be paid.

Funny how people bring the Nazis into this as UKIP were the only one to protest about our refusal to take refugees in from outside the EU - not exactly Hitler policy now is it!

As far as I read in UKIP are not racist (they have ethnic supporters and candidates) they have just looked at what we get and what receive and the fact we are basically being governed by a foreign nation (Germany in the main) and said enough is enough of this Euro fiasco.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the links between Europe and cushy jobs for ex-politicians, within large corporations and quangos?

Oh dear, maybe it is forgivable to forget what happened in 1914 or 1939 but surely no-one can have forgotten the total mess that Labour left the country in, in 2010 - just four years ago and, believe you me, that by comparison with Milliband & Balls - Blair, Brown and Darling were the height of competence.

Yes after five years of Labour, things will have changed and it will make the situation that Britain is in now seem like seem like the Promised Land........

Tactical voting will produce the worst of all worlds

And without it the main parties will stumble on claiming they have a popular mandate to rule........I remember only too well the damage done by Labour Governments but to be honest, for a Tory Government,this current lot has been pretty dire and regularly hides behind the LibDem excuse for its inaction.

It is coming to the point where party politics will be irrelevant soon anyway as the EU carries on rolling forward with its federalist intentions unless there is a massive change in outlook.

UKIP hurting the Tories will bring about that change......voting for the same old regime won't.

bigoted bigoted bigoted nothing else, if you really want to stir brown stuff and are so so genuinely concerned about disgraced MP's (there were more than a few and strangely all from the not so particularly unpleasant parties :lol: :lol: )then just dig out a list of who fiddled what who lied who cheated and was not so "pleasant" then find out what they are doing now,that's the ones not still serving MP's I will give you a start IE Jacqui Smith a once useless home secretary paid a bit back from a 187k expense pot claimed for her sisters property? she is now chair of the QE hospital in Birmingham, now that is a worry if you find yourself short of a few pints of blood whilst the curtains in her office are rather smart.

KW

Edited by kdubya

UKIP waste of a vote. There are only 2 party's with any chance of forming a goverment in the UK, whether you like it or not. I will not vote Labour while the present shower of **** are leading it.

Not a Tory but only party worth voting for. This benefit free for all as got to stop. Child benefits, first 2 kids only, any one with a pension over 50k a year, stop giving them free bus pass, heating allowance etc.

Not really extreme, this country does not earn enough in taxes to carry on as we are.

bigoted bigoted bigoted nothing else, if you really want to stir brown stuff and are so so genuinely concerned about disgraced MP's (there were more than a few and strangely all from the not so particularly unpleasant parties :lol: :lol: )then just dig out a list of who fiddled what who lied who cheated and was not so "pleasant" then find out what they are doing now,that's the ones not still serving MP's I will give you a start IE Jacqui Smith a once useless home secretary paid a bit back from a 187k expense pot claimed for her sisters property? she is now chair of the QE hospital in Birmingham, now that is a worry if you find yourself short of a few pints of blood whilst the curtains in her office are rather smart.

KW

Running a hospital is one thing - bad enough I agree with you as it is - but a disgraced MP being in charge of a political party's campaign just does not chime with me..... and is hardly in the same league.

Any MP who is chucked out - from any party - should not be allowed to hold any sort of public office or position.....

I am not and never have been bigoted, and that is why I dislike political parties who are and who use the tactic of scaremongering and whipping up fear to gain support.

I will be voting for UKIP as I see it there are stupid people in every party but at least the UKIP one open there mouths and say what they think so that you now who they are in most other parties people dare not say out lowed what they think as everything has to look P/C in that way they can vote for whatever they wish and we will never now about it but its the same old thing if you do not agree with what someone has to say you slag him/her off.

I am not and never have been bigoted, and that is why I dislike political parties who are and who use the tactic of scaremongering and whipping up fear to gain support.

I guess you must be one of those who prefers to be governed by a group of unelected eurocrats in Brussels?

It's not as simple as playing the immigration card and calling it scaremongering. It's about having NO CONTROL over our immigration policy. It's very easy to say "well where are all these thousands of Romanians/Bulgarians we were told about" but the issue is that they could all turn up tomorrow, all 28 million of them....and there's NOTHING we could do about it!! Our hands are tied by an agreement we had no say in, and had no vote on.

I guess you must be one of those who prefers to be governed by a group of unelected eurocrats in Brussels?

It's not as simple as playing the immigration card and calling it scaremongering. It's about having NO CONTROL over our immigration policy. It's very easy to say "well where are all these thousands of Romanians/Bulgarians we were told about" but the issue is that they could all turn up tomorrow, all 28 million of them....and there's NOTHING we could do about it!! Our hands are tied by an agreement we had no say in, and had no vote on.

Now that is the realms of fantasy - otherwise known as scaremongering!

And, no I too like to be governed by a UK Government - even one that I do not support........ AND the French prefer a French Government and the Germans a German Government and so and so on - it puzzles me that the UK always seems to be the odd one out!

Remember the lies Labour told us re immigration numbers?

Well in who's interest is it to report the true numbers now?

The issue is the main parties have ignored us re Europe for years as it would hurt thier own interests.

So guess what UKIP get my vote and blimey I'm not a racist or Nazi!

So sorry Cameron you've had your chance and you BLEW it!!!