Combi Boiler Install Cost

Munzy

Hi all,

Just a very quick one just to see what sort of costs I should expect to have a combi boiler installed into a system with an old standalone boiler and tank which will be removed.

I'm budgeting £1500 and thinking of a Potterton Gold (retail for £700). Is the remaining £800 enough for the install in anyone's experience, not sure what plumbers charge per hour or how long this sort of thing would take.

Have you got kids ??

The reason I ask is I went to get a loan for a boiler around 4 years ago and a guy knocked on my front door on about government grants.

It turned out because my kids were under 16 I got a brand new valiant combi boiler fitted for nothing :)

We both worked at the time as well so most people get the grant

Hi

Not quite the same (combi replaced) but just had a Remaha? fitted for just over that.

Included a powerflush and all the necessary for warranty and Gas certificate.

Took 2 days as needed upsizing and rerouting gas supply.

L

It's called warm front I think .

They also done my loft insulation for free :)

They had a set budget of £3800 for us to use up inc windows , doors etc .

I just had the boiler and moved up into the loft .

I think you need to earn less than £24 k a year but I might be wrong.

It felt wrong but as my parents said I've worked since school and never claimed a penny in my life so I did it :)

Edited by team tractor

Its green deal now. Warm front vouchers finished a while ago.

And 1500 is not enough, that's foreigner prices round here.

We just did one last week, old floor standing boiler removed and made good,cyl and tanks removed,thermostats and new lock shield valves,new upsized gas supply from meter ,new roomstat and timer and a new Worcester 29cdi classic combi installed and system cleaned and flushed etc. Came to 3k including vat.

The 'green deal' is a loan not a grant so you pay it off yourself in the long run. They assess how much you should save using the new boiler instead of the old one and then add this to your elecricity bill. The theory being gas costs down, lecky bill up, you see no difference but are paying off the boiler.

As the loan is attached to the lecky meter, it means if you sell the house someone else gets to finish paying off the boiler! I know they get the benefit but not sure I agree with that bit.

£1500 is cheap for conventional to combi change over. I have done a few for mates at that sort of price but generally £2k - £2.5 is about going rate if its all done properly.

I would avoid potterton, even if they offer 5 or 7 year warranty, the after care service is appalling, its all done by a sub contractor so they just find excuses why the warranty is invalid.

Go with worcester, valliant or ideal, worth the money all day long...

15 months ago I had a new combo fitted,

Basically a like for like,

That cost me £1500 all in including new radiator valves and a vent for the condensing?, and a remote thermostat, best thing I ever did as apart from the old one dying it was SO inefficient,

Don't go for the cheapest, have a good read up on them

PS, mines a Baxi, used to be a Vokera

:shaun:

£1500 is cheap for conventional to combi change over. I have done a few for mates at that sort of price but generally £2k - £2.5 is about going rate if its all done properly.

I would avoid potterton, even if they offer 5 or 7 year warranty, the after care service is appalling, its all done by a sub contractor so they just find excuses why the warranty is invalid.

Go with worcester, valliant or ideal, worth the money all day long...

I've recently replaced mine for a Valliant. I discussed it with several very qualified people and they all basically said exactly what you have Sle. Good advice.

Don't know what part of the country you're in, but I can't believe you don't need to double your price at least. I just did a quote for a similar change over and it was £3600+vat. I'm in London, but even so people have to make a living everywhere. I would avoid the Potterton too. Worth spending the extra £400 on getting a Vaillant at the outset.

Thanks everyone, all very helpful. Got a plumber coming out tomorrow to take a look at the job.

Also, thanks for the info on Green Deal. I called them and it sounds like I can pay off the install via the energy bill... perfect for me as this'll be a buy-to-let so the tenant will benefit from the increased efficiency.

I've just changed mine from a oil boiler to a calor gas Worcester ,boiler cost me 3.5 k , he took the old system out storage tank and three header tanks on his break down for his bill ( I'm having a ext done so lot of plumbing work) he charged me 700 for the change over of the boilers and the cleaning of the system

Thanks everyone, all very helpful. Got a plumber coming out tomorrow to take a look at the job.

Also, thanks for the info on Green Deal. I called them and it sounds like I can pay off the install via the energy bill... perfect for me as this'll be a buy-to-let so the tenant will benefit from the increased efficiency.

Well if the tenants get any form of benefit they can get it done for nowt!! (with your approval!)

Yes I know, and it makes my blood boil !

Landlords are looking for tennants on benefits now. They can get a new boiler for free in their properties. How about a kitchen on a grant too! Well round here that's happening too!

You work and pay all your taxes and contribute to society but you don't get any kind of help!

We paid for a £2800 10 yrs ago for a valiant condensing combi, we had it fitted before they where compulsory.

We did have other work at the time several rads etc.

Me and my other half have talked about if anything goes in the future to (rent) for a better word.

We have no plans on moving and several of the big companies are doing new boilers installed for as little as £20.00 a month.

Not that I cannot afford a new boiler when this goes, but they cover your full central heating system rads, servicing (even though minimal on these systems) when it breaks they fix it,

The ones we looked at had a contract over 10 yrs with a fixed price..

So in theory even though it sounds a lot if you get a leaking rad, pcb board goes etc, or anything else then guarantee to fix for free, sounds expensive in the long run but a good piece of mind.

Edited by delburt0

I would recommend a ideal independent + combi boiler 7 year warranty with them. Just make sure who ever you get to fit it knows what there doing. Just because they are gas safe registered doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Edited by kingo15

Yes I know, and it makes my blood boil !

Landlords are looking for tennants on benefits now. They can get a new boiler for free in their properties. How about a kitchen on a grant too! Well round here that's happening too!

You work and pay all your taxes and contribute to society but you don't get any kind of help!

F F S I thought we'd gotten rid of that P O S labour government for the moment. Hopefully they've stopped paying people £200 for having a child now at least?

Edited by Tim Kelly