missing plane

digger

they will when they get a ship to it, reckon a day or two will see some of the "finds" determined parts of plane or not.ps gps only gives them the "where it was", wind and tidal current will move the debris many many miles a day

KW

Fully aware it will move many many miles in a day but it will move in a fairly predictable direction.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it is on the surface so it will go with the winds not the tides. Winds change as the low pressures cross the area.

Some of it is likely to be partly submerged so will be more influenced by tide than wind, depending on the magnitude of both of course.

It is quite surprising how a bot will drift into the wind when the tide pushes it despite the majority of the boat being above the water surface.

This search seems never ending.

A week ago we were told that satellite images had revealed 'hundreds' of pieces of flotsam. How come not one of them has been recovered with nine ships now in the area?

Not even mentioned now. The two 'things' that were picked up were not from the aircraft.

Were the media just making up these reports?

I still think there is a good chance that this aircraft will never be found.

This search seems never ending.

A week ago we were told that satellite images had revealed 'hundreds' of pieces of flotsam. How come not one of them has been recovered with nine ships now in the area?

Not even mentioned now. The two 'things' that were picked up were not from the aircraft.

Were the media just making up these reports?

I still think there is a good chance that this aircraft will never be found.

Your first statement is rather connected to your last!

Your first statement is rather connected to your last!

Good point!

Unless wreckage from the 'plane can be found and plotted back to where it 'probably' entered the water the search for the black boxes is extremely unlikely to succeed.

The batteries of the pingers are almost flat by now and they only have a range of five miles or so.

The searchers need some luck and that seems to be in short supply down there.

Good point!

Unless wreckage from the 'plane can be found and plotted back to where it 'probably' entered the water the search for the black boxes is extremely unlikely to succeed.

The batteries of the pingers are almost flat by now and they only have a range of five miles or so.

The searchers need some luck and that seems to be in short supply down there.

they got the air France boxes two years after their batts went flat, they will keep searching for them if it takes a decade.

KW

They knew where the air France plane crashed and recoverd parts within days. They are still none the wiser on this one and it's a massive area. I'm with grandalf, they may never find this plane. And even if they did I'm not sure they would tell the full story anyway. We may never know.

I find it odd that they have found nothing at all. There are plenty of bits which would float. Have to wonder if the plane made a controlled landing on water, and then just sunk whole.

If human hands landed it then where are the humans?

A full scale evacuation of an aircraft of that size would strew flotsam all over the ocean.

The auto pilot could not 'land' it on water - It might be possible to set it up in an approach configuration and descent angle that MIGHT be survivable but I think that's very unlikely considering the swell and waves on the seas down there. Would have to be completed before the fuel ran out.

Crash/splash seems much more likely.

they got the air France boxes two years after their batts went flat, they will keep searching for them if it takes a decade.

KW

They found the wreckage by sonar - But they knew where to look. Even so, as you point out, it still took two years.

If human hands landed it then where are the humans?

A full scale evacuation of an aircraft of that size would strew flotsam all over the ocean.

The auto pilot could not 'land' it on water - It might be possible to set it up in an approach configuration and descent angle that MIGHT be survivable but I think that's very unlikely considering the swell and waves on the seas down there. Would have to be completed before the fuel ran out.

Crash/splash seems much more likely.

Here is a scenario (as wild as it may seem) - the flight was programmed to "land" in the middle of the ocean.. Might not have landed 100% intact, but in enough large pieces to just sink. If it broke up catastrophically on landing there would be alot of stuff floating about - life rafts, vests, seats, stuff in luggage, etc. I dont think they will give up looking though. It may take a while - but they will find it. As for the humans - hypoxia death?

Edited by aris

Did anyone notice that the last message from the plane was not correct -instead of "goodnight" it was "goodnight (or goodbye) Mh370", from the plane. It would be a good thing for everyone, not least the relatives, if any sign can be found quickly. I am thinking pilot suicide still.

I wonder how long the blip was tracked or if its just the once they were able to 'guess' the direction ?

As a plane hits water the wings usually break off. They should float as the fuel tanks would be empty. If the wings break off 'things' will float out of the fuselage.

Would be hundreds of miles away by now and dispersed over a wide area. If the tanks then filled with water they would sink miles away from the remainder.

The area involved is truly vast. You cannot comprehend how large an area of nothing it is until you fly over it for several hours and see absolutely nothing but water and sky.