Security question

Can you take some part of the gun - preferably the action with you in a bag - keep it near you at all times. If I were Mr P I would say even with a trigger lock, leaving a whole gun for several hours unsupervised is asking for trouble.

Can't bring parts in to our building, it is against policy. So I'll ust drive home after work and come back, burning petrol, ruining the enviroment, etc...

??? How would they know? Are you a fireperson?

There is no specific requirement but all reasonable precautions.....

I asked my feo about this some months ago.

I asked if I could leave a gun in the boot of my car, locked and outside the front of the house at the farm.

In no uncertain terms he told me no way! And if I ever did and the car was nicked or broken into and the gun taken, I would lose my fac/sgc permanently! :/

We always take ours into the Pub after our shoot. we've got our own little corner and tables for the 12 of us.

I've only been in this particular shoot 3 years, it seems they have been doing it from the year dot.

The locals don't take any notice at all.

No worries remeber a thread sometime back about a station commander who wouldnt let them in the station wondered if it was you as i wondered what happened thats all :)

Sometimes there are bag/locker searches. Can't risk it. Someone lost her job in the past because having something on her she shouldn't had. Matter is now sorted. Gun has been returned. Left it in my safe during the day, drove home after work and came back afterwards! Thx for advice from all of You guys!

These questions are open to interpretation as much firearms legislation has never been tested in court. The guidelines, which are all we and the police have to go on, are that all reasonable precautions must be taken to prevent unauthorised access to firearms. So you have to put yourself in the FEO's shoes. It is reasonable that a person carrying a firearm in a vehicle will need to stop for fuel or to eat. Locking the firearm out of sight within the vehicle, separate from ammunition and with part of its mechanism removed is considered all you can reasonably do to keep the gun secure in such circumstances.

But ask yourself whether an FEO would consider it reasonable to lock a firearm in a vehicle all day to save an extra trip home in the evening to fetch it. If your car is stolen from a company car park at 11 o'clock in the morning while you are at work and had no reason to be in possession of a firearm, an FEO is going to want to know why the hell there was one sitting in your car.

Leave the gun at home and go and fetch it later.

Id have left it in the car mate. It takes 30secs to steal a car/ break in etc. ask yourself: how many cars have been done in that car park especially with cctv etc? if the answers none then i wouldn't worry and before you all start shouting "theres always a first time" I'm very aware but just making a point. If it only takes 30secs then we shouldn't leave guns in cars for any length of time i.e.. walking around the farm, nipping in the shop, getting fuel, picking up a shooting buddy, shoot day lunch/ drinks etc. (and we're all guilty of doing it) especially during those times when we're dressed for shooting, sort of draws attention to fact that something 'interesting' is probably in the car.

I drive 2hrs to work and 2hrs back, if i want to buy a gun from someone whilst at work and the only time they're available is 9.30am, am i supposed to drive 2hrs there, leave work and buy the gun, drive 2hrs home, lock it in the safe, drive 2hrs back to work and then drive 2hrs home at night??? I don't think so..... It stays in the boot!

I was in a gun shop a few months ago, asked the chap if i could look at a browning 525, he unlocked it and gave it to me then went off and served another chap leaving me holding the browning and the whole gun rack unlocked! I was stood 2ft from the door which was open and my car parked (unlocked) right outside! How safe is that?!

Its all about being as safe as 'practicable'.

Think were all getting a bit too anal about some things!

Edited by carpentermark

Car broken into and two shotguns stolen after a shoot locally to me. Its very rural but times are changing, not sure if the guys in question lost their certs but they would have had to attend court to prove they took reasonable precautions. I also know of an incident in the past in a more urban location during an after shoot lunch a gun was hidden under a false floor in a van, the guy kept his ticket but ended up in court. Ultimately if your guns are ever stolen this is the norm, there is no definition of "reasonable" hence the court must decide in each case and under different circumstances prevailing.

Car broken into and two shotguns stolen after a shoot locally to me. Its very rural but times are changing, not sure if the guys in question lost their certs but they would have had to attend court to prove they took reasonable precautions. I also know of an incident in the past in a more urban location during an after shoot lunch a gun was hidden under a false floor in a van, the guy kept his ticket but ended up in court. Ultimately if your guns are ever stolen this is the norm, there is no definition of "reasonable" hence the court must decide in each case and under different circumstances prevailing.

What happened with the real criminals?