Fast set concrete

Fisherman Mike

Had the need to replace some timber fence posts in the light of recent storms and thought I might recommend Lafarge premixed quickset postcrete concrete as available at Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/postcrete-20kg/invt/221100/

This stuff is brilliant just dig the hole, set the post, fill it about a 1/3 with water and pour the bag contents in level the post and 10 minutes later its set... allow 1 1/2 bags per post average ...simple and quick...finished the job in a day. ( 8 posts and panels )

37 years in the industry and this is the best Home and Garden DIY product I've come across...brilliant stuff

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Is it expensive compared to mixing dolomite and cement to fix posts or getting ready mix delivered.

How deep and wide a hole are you digging and what size posts to use a bag and a half per post, got a new fence to put up approx 200 foot long.

Figgy

few months ago replaced 140ft or 6ft closeboard fencing in my garden took 2 full days but was qtr to third the price of getting someone out to do it

few blisters from digging 24 post holes with the manual earth auger but that wickes stuff is what i used and was brilliant

Auger has 1ft worm on it so i go 2ft down and it takes a 4x4 post no problem using a bag per hole sometimes 3/4 bag

all fencing and materials cost me just over £400 but quotes where £8ft to £14ft supply and fit !

Edited by maxus77

Is it expensive compared to mixing dolomite and cement to fix posts or getting ready mix delivered.

How deep and wide a hole are you digging and what size posts to use a bag and a half per post, got a new fence to put up approx 200 foot long.

Figgy

Very expensive way to fix a long run of fence but great for strainers and gate posts. I use a pair of post diggers which dig a circular hole about 7" wide to about 2' deep. Ideal for 4" posts. I bag per hole is ample. In firm stony ground you can get away with less.

There is only one down-side to rapid setting and that is rapid heating and subsequent cracking.

So, its Ok for posts but dont use it for anything else ! High content alumina cement was useed in the 70's for high early strength gain and we all know what tetra calcium alumino ferrite is now.

I trust everyone will be assessing the exposure of their fence panels, approximating a 100mph (not mpg) windspeed, calculating the overturning moment and allowing for that in sizing their holes! Also, disturbing your holes weakens the support, so a hole with clean undisturbed sides is best. A very important factor is the embedded depth. More tea vicar.

There is only one down-side to rapid setting and that is rapid heating and subsequent cracking.

So, its Ok for posts but dont use it for anything else ! High content alumina cement was useed in the 70's for high early strength gain and we all know what tetra calcium alumino ferrite is now.

I trust everyone will be assessing the exposure of their fence panels, approximating a 100mph (not mpg) windspeed, calculating the overturning moment and allowing for that in sizing their holes! Also, disturbing your holes weakens the support, so a hole with clean undisturbed sides is best. A very important factor is the embedded depth. More tea vicar.

Hedge?

I was going to ask if there are any down sides..

Are those the only ones Kes?

I need to concrete some posts in soon so will give this a go.

Also I know they are usually impregnated but do you dip the ends of the posts in creosote or similar before setting them?

Also I know they are usually impregnated but do you dip the ends of the posts in creosote or similar before setting them?

I do. Creosote and engine oil mixed 50/50.

Tanalised timber is **** nowadays. I imagine Europe has banned the one chemical in it that made it work.