Shooting Sticks: What Type/Brand Do You Recommend?

ab1964

As I was closing up the back of my pick-up, my sticks got caught between the bed and the gate. They now have a 60 degree bend in them.

As I was not to pleased with them anyway I'm not too bothered.

But as I'm now in the market for new sticks - what would you recommend?

Thanks,...

I like twin sticks, in the field I find anything else hassle and you cannot pan sideways with some. That said I take them out less and less from when I first started with them about ten-twelve years back, when I took them out every time. I have broken so many I cannot recommend a brand, most fail to lock or unlock after a while or the hinge breaks. I like to drop to one knee or shoot off hand unless I need to take longer off hand shots over cover now.

The best thing I can suggest is set them how you want them and tape them up at that, fix them until you cant no more and buy or make another set (there is little wrong with those new coated steel canes at the garden centre a band and some pipe lagging (cost less than £5)

I like twin sticks, in the field I find anything else hassle and you cannot pan sideways with some. That said I take them out less and less from when I first started with them about ten-twelve years back, when I took them out every time. I have broken so many I cannot recommend a brand, most fail to lock or unlock after a while or the hinge breaks. I like to drop to one knee or shoot off hand unless I need to take longer off hand shots over cover now.

The best thing I can suggest is set them how you want them and tape them up at that, fix them until you cant no more and buy or make another set (there is little wrong with those new coated steel canes at the garden centre a band and some pipe lagging (cost less than £5)

With Kent on the heavy duty plastic coated garden canes. Join them with the seal out of a soil pipe union OR a very thick 5MM+ O ring (from Polymax for example) or even some paracord as a lashing and twist it over. Use them for a bit until you know how long you want them then cut with a hacksaw. Also worth putting some rubber bands, o-rings or something around the canes lower down so they don't clatter.

I use Vanguard T63U's - Probably the best shooting accessory I've ever bought :good:

Amen! A tripod which can also be made into a bipod or a monopod. Great bit of kit, I've used it rabbiting and stalking with great success.

:good: :good: :good:

Edited by 1in9

There is a lad called Limulus on SD who makes these sticks and they are quad sticks i have deer to 150 yds of mine and they are very stable

I got a set of his sticks and they are very well made and very stable

Mark

Edited by markws80