let's defend shooting and countrysports

compo90

I said that there was just not enough reason for the press be that the BBC ,broadsheets or red tops apart from perhaps the Telegraph for stories to be picked up and no matter how loud or energetic a press officer is ,if there's no leaning to pick up the story they won't.

Spinach

I'm interested in this bit of your post. Are you saying that the Liberty and Livelihood March in 2002 didn't achieve the press coverage that you expected?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really know how to tell you this, other than to say that we haven't a hope in hell. Take the e-petition for target pistol ownership. Started of in a blaze of shooter orientated publicity with the backing of the 'big guns' - BASC with 130,000 members for example - no sign of the NSRA though - and managed some 10,000 signatures in the first couple of weeks or so. How many are there now a month or so later? It's called apathy, it's highly contagious and shooters seem to be highly susceptible to it. Here was a fairly innocuous suggestion that would not have had Joe Public, or even the tree huggers, up in arms and would have done us all some good through positive publicity. It's now foundered with all 15,000 hands.

Wymberley, I signed that I think, was it the petition to have 22 target pistols on a fac for target shooters?

You are right too many shooters see the problems and obstacles, apathy sets in and they don't sign such a petition because they don't believe it will achieve anything, if there are that many basc members why isn't the number of signatories the same number? Basc and the ca need to be proactive with their own membership as in an email saying "sign this"

Problem using my phone lost internet before finished last...... Yes should be directed to sign the relevant petitions as people may not be aware of them and we should be signing to support each other, I will never want a fac or a target pistol but will defend others as they are also shooting sportmen

Wymberley, I signed that I think, was it the petition to have 22 target pistols on a fac for target shooters?

You are right too many shooters see the problems and obstacles, apathy sets in and they don't sign such a petition because they don't believe it will achieve anything, if there are that many basc members why isn't the number of signatories the same number? Basc and the ca need to be proactive with their own membership as in an email saying "sign this"

Exactly

Problem using my phone lost internet before finished last...... Yes should be directed to sign the relevant petitions as people may not be aware of them and we should be signing to support each other, I will never want a fac or a target pistol but will defend others as they are also shooting sportmen

Exactly

Be really helpful if the CA sent it round on their Grass eRoute email wouldn't it? :whistling:

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/ca/grass-e-route/grass-e-route-27th-march-2014

Exactly

Not being a member of either of those two organisations, I was not entitled to say it, but as you both have, I can agree. Just imagine the fuss if a 200,000 signature petition landed on No 10's doormat! However, one must ask, where is the NSRA in all this? Could it be that they're not in favour of it?

Spinach

I'm interested in this bit of your post. Are you saying that the Liberty and Livelihood March in 2002 didn't achieve the press coverage that you expected?

No I wasn't talking about the march although at the time much was made of anglers being duped and photos of old men and women being reduced to almost comedy as sleeping heros napped here and there.

The march by its sheer size brought its own news.

2002 it's 2014 and we have gained nothing and lost much between those years.

No I'm talking about the whim of editors who can run or spike press releases depending on what they believe or know there is a will or hunger for and I can only imagine its a soul destroying job for both CA and BASC.

Our house hold is a member of both, which costs us more but I join not just because I get insurance !

John.

Scully

How will I get them to do that? If the representative organisations can not get that how will one man?

This is what I mean by being hard work; you're not even reading my posts correctly. The organisations let this one 'pass them by', meaning they didn't even try to get a response from the BBC as far as I know, though I'm more than happy to be corrected.

​I sent Newsround an e-mail as did a few other shooters. Did you?

This is what I am saying the organisations that we all fund need to co-operate, merge or something, join together and get on the offensive. So you keep saying, and I agree, but what you haven't stated as yet is how you're going to achieve this. I'm behind you all the way.

I pm'd you to try and keep your sniping at me off this thread, I also apologised for my half of the argument, you didn't reply. I know you sent me a PM, I've read it. I'm sorry you feel you're being sniped at but that's what happens when you stick your head over the parapet. No need to apologise at all; at least you're trying.Very.

The defence of our sport would include demanding such recognition but again would need to be done on a bigger scale and with a lot more clout.I'm afraid you've lost me there. 'Demanding such recognition' as what?

As I said before, I don't know all the answers, just the questions that need asking........ Well when you've finished asking questions (I'm assuming you mean of the shooting organisations) let us know what the replies were.

It is a destination we need to reach together, I don't know the direction or the journey but see somewhere we all need to get to together. Perhaps a satnav would help?

Don't really know how to tell you this, other than to say that we haven't a hope in hell. Take the e-petition for target pistol ownership. Started of in a blaze of shooter orientated publicity with the backing of the 'big guns' - BASC with 130,000 members for example - no sign of the NSRA though - and managed some 10,000 signatures in the first couple of weeks or so. How many are there now a month or so later? It's called apathy, it's highly contagious and shooters seem to be highly susceptible to it. Here was a fairly innocuous suggestion that would not have had Joe Public, or even the tree huggers, up in arms and would have done us all some good through positive publicity. It's now foundered with all 15,000 hands.

Yep. Have to agree with this, and would just add that Charles Marston (Firearms UK) whose organisation got the e-petition off the ground, has stated that while he is grateful for the help the NRA has given by posting links etc to the e-petition on its website, they will not 'officially' support it. Wonder why?

Perhaps this could be your first assignment Compo 90, as soon as you've finished with the BBC and our shooting organisations?

Edited by Scully

Exactly

Exactly

Exactly

Not being a member of either of those two organisations, I was not entitled to say it, but as you both have, I can agree. Just imagine the fuss if a 200,000 signature petition landed on No 10's doormat! However, one must ask, where is the NSRA in all this? Could it be that they're not in favour of it?

Wymberly

I may not have made myself clear. My point is, it's in the bloody CA email!!! And it's on the front page of their website (and has been since late March).

So the CA emailed it around, but very few signed it? That's good and bad, good in that the CA saw and used the opportunity, bad that the membership didn't sign it and pass it on...... That's the kind of lethargy and second guessing that's the problem, people add their opinion and don't sign as they don't believe it will happen...... Its better to fight and lose than just to lose.

I am going to try and find a sat nav and when I have a few days get down to sending a load more emails

So the CA emailed it around, but very few signed it?

Yes, basically. I'm not sure if BASC did but it was certainly in Shooting Times as well.

I suppose my point (if I have one) is that it's easy to criticise the representative organisations (not that this was necessarily your intention when starting this thread or that such criticism is always unjustified / not useful) but that sometimes individuals, even when 'spoon fed' don't always take action themselves. It's generally easier to blame 'them' than to take responsibility for your own inaction. We all do it to a greater or lesser extent :)

For what it's worth by the way, I signed the petition and I have no interest whatsoever in pistol shooting. :innocent:

I am going to try and find a sat nav and when I have a few days get down to sending a load more emails

Good man; taken in the spirit with which it was meant.

Scully when you do that thing of quoting and putting replies in its hard to read on my phone.

Sorry. Will use bolder type !

Wymberly

it's in the bloody CA email!!! And it's on the front page of their website (and has been since late March).

Not a lot of people know that - particularly me as a non member. It's perhaps sad that, " you might like to sign this" turned out that the majority did not like to do so.

Yep. Have to agree with this, and would just add that Charles Marston (Firearms UK) whose organisation got the e-petition off the ground, has stated that while he is grateful for the help the NRA has given by posting links etc to the e-petition on its website, they will not 'officially' support it. Wonder why?

Perhaps this could be your first assignment Compo 90, as soon as you've finished with the BBC and our shooting organisations?

Scully,

Just seen the NRA bit, but bear with me as this is not my thing. Isn't the NSRA the outfit for small bore pistol shooting? Unless I've missed it, there's been nowt about it on their website as yet - seems strange.

Not a lot of people know that - particularly me as a non member. It's perhaps sad that, " you might like to sign this" turned out that the majority did not like to do so.

Sorry - my frustration wasn't aimed at you !

Isn't the NSRA the outfit for small bore pistol shooting? Unless I've missed it, there's been nowt about it on their website as yet - seems strange.

Sorry Wymberley, can't help you there as I have no idea. I haven't been on either the NRA or NSRA websites. I was merely pointing it out as yet another example of how we are a fractured lot.

I was told an interesting point from someone who served on the council of one of our major shooting organisations who said that most organisations set out with admirable intentions, but as they grow, the survival of the organisation eventually takes precedence above all else. Interesting thought.

I have no issues with the work done by our various organisations but were all those supporting us across shooting, angling, hunting and farming (we harvest game, fish etc and rely on or are part of farming) got together with a united voice we could just make people view the countryside and countrysports in a much more positive light. Suggestions on a postcard as to who/how we do this? Imagine the numbers involved and the voice we would have!