Martyn Jones BASC candidate

kent

I somehow cant see the RSPB or RSPCA allowing any huntin shootin or fishin types get into any position of power in their org's.

Maybe an exclusion clause is needed to prevent members who are 'agent provocateurs' from standing. The proviso could also exist that if it subsequently comes to light that any member of Council has held views in conflict with the stated aims of BASC /CA /patrner orgs etc they will be asked to stand down.

Better not to elect initially,

Maybe one of the members of Council can propose such a restriction before the elections?

It cant be good for any orgs image to allow anyone expressing negative views of the orgs/partners core purpose, to become part of the 'governing elite'?

I'm also sure that future cooperation with the CA might not be so readily achieved. Just my view.

Since quality insurance can be obtained from various places, we need the voices of shooting to be worth the £30 - 40 extra and uncompromisable.

http://www.ccc3.org.uk/home?exref=WK13

Edited by Kes

Thanks for that David - so he's a target/clay shooter but anti-hunting (not mentioned) so he wont be shooting foxes, or do we put the anti-hunting vote down to 'whipping' and a willingness to say anything to further his parliamentary career at the time ?

I dont expect you to comment further David, for obvious reasons.

Just adding my two-penneth, for what it's worth: having spoken to an MP about lobbying etc in the distant past, the value of a former MP fighting your cause in parliament is not to be sniffed at... They know the best ways of making things happen very quickly in parliament; they basically know how to work the system in your favour. If they're representing BASC's issues (I've just become a member myself), then perhaps, irrespective of their past slippery ways (and let's face it, what MP doesn't have a slippery past?), they could be immensely useful for the future...

Just adding my two-penneth, for what it's worth: having spoken to an MP about lobbying etc in the distant past, the value of a former MP fighting your cause in parliament is not to be sniffed at... They know the best ways of making things happen very quickly in parliament; they basically know how to work the system in your favour. If they're representing BASC's issues (I've just become a member myself), then perhaps, irrespective of their past slippery ways (and let's face it, what MP doesn't have a slippery past?), they could be immensely useful for the future...

If BASC doesnt know how to influence politicians without having to have an ex - MP on Council to teach them - then we are in deep ****. After all how long has BASC been going? Come on !

Absolutely and a lot of organisations use current or ex politicians to good effect - the CA's Kate Hoey, Baroness Mallalieu and Simon Hart all spring to mind. But can the management and oversight of an organisation that claims to represent all shooters in the UK really be trusted in part to someone who has used the language and voted in the way that Martyn Jones has done?

Personally I would feel extremely uneasy about his ability to champion and negotiate policies that I would be comfortable with.

Guest rimotu66

I just do not get it, Jones is anti hunting yet he has joined BASC and excepted with what seems like open arms, do those at BASC Towers not have the power to reject applications from unsavoury types ???

I just do not get it, Jones is anti hunting yet he has joined BASC and excepted with what seems like open arms, do those at BASC Towers not have the power to reject applications from unsavoury types ???

In fairness to BASC, I actually think they handle their governance stuff pretty well - there aren't many organisations who have their 'board' (council) minutes on such prominent display (front page of their website) for example. I have no problem with the process - I'd just say don't vote for the guy!

Guest rimotu66

I just find it strange that Basc would let him in in the first place :whistling: , ManU supporters club wouldn't let a Liverpool supporter in now would they :lol:

When does the voting take place?

You see its us that's making the error we should know that and we should research. Perhaps its time that we all might start to take an active interest? I am not coming across like I always do its just the Greylag issue has heightened my awareness that we can elect a council that acts against us and our wishes.

I`m slightly concerned by some of the comments about "BASC letting him in".

The problem with BASC is that it`s a Democracy and he`s exericing his democratic right to join the Association and to take part in it`s running.

I agree that he should not have been allowed to stand for Council, but my view of the requisite qualifications for Council are that the candidate should have held office in a wildfowling club for at least 25 years before being even considered.

Discuss.

I think you might find that view a very lonely one but your welcome to it. Personally I should rather have a joiner or dentist, teacher or salesman etc who might give his heart and soul to protect and improve the rights of all field sportsmen and I know quite a few with very high negotiating skills

I`m slightly concerned by some of the comments about "BASC letting him in".

The problem with BASC is that it`s a Democracy and he`s exericing his democratic right to join the Association and to take part in it`s running.

I agree that he should not have been allowed to stand for Council, but my view of the requisite qualifications for Council are that the candidate should have held office in a wildfowling club for at least 25 years before being even considered.

Discuss.

Perhaps if was still WAGBI. But its not most of BASC members have never stepped foot on a saltmarsh, that no bad thing. I haven't shot a driven pheasant in my whole life and doubt I ever will, if I stood and got elected might I fight hard for the Game shooter? - Darn right I should and I should expect equal from the guy stood next to me when it came to what I partake in

I think you might find that view a very lonely one but your welcome to it. Personally I should rather have a joiner or dentist, teacher or salesman etc who might give his heart and soul to protect and improve the rights of all field sportsmen and I know quite a few with very high negotiating skills

Not saying I'd vote for him personally, I should say. I'm merely pointing out the power of someone who's formerly been on the inside, from my discussions with a former MP. External influence is one thing, but the power of insider connections in politics is immense - even if it would, in this case, be sleeping with the enemy!

Just dug out my voting paper for BASC.

Mr Jones has only been a member for 1YEAR. If u only read his speal he does seem a decent candidate and claims to have been rough shooting since a boy.

Mentions 1 of the few Labour MP's not to vote for firearms restrictions after Hungerford and Dunblane

I can se ur point mudpattern and esp so if was still Wagbi but that would rule out a massive number of decent country people esp as Basc now caters for more than Wildfowling.

Possibly they should have to be members for a certain length of time, say 10 years?

Must admit very glad this was highlighted before the elections take place. I wonder if it is possiblre to take back/void a vote if u have already voted for him before this came out

I

Any move to reopen the issue of fox hunting is utterly ridiculous. The Act was only passed into law in 2005 and was widely debated. It is an act which signalled the end to a cruel and outmoded form of upper class enjoyment."

From that comment he must be opposed to driven game shooting to then?

He wants it for the money,just had a spell in hospital,and most nurses do their job because they're passionate about it and love to help people. And a lot of the ones who do it just for the money leave a lot to be desired!(most nurses are underpaid and do to many hours!). What I'm saying is I wasn't in to pistol shooting or ever been fox hunting but I marched across London for them because it's their sport and the antis will not stop till anything to do with country sports is stopped including fishing! Get your golf clubs out! So we don't need anyone representing us who's against any form of shooting/ hunting/fishing. If your a wild fowler and think driven shooting is slaughter, keep it to yourself, if you shoot driven and think coursings cruel,keep it quiet, fieldsports people should stick together and Basc should all be as passionate or keep them out!

He wants it for the money,just had a spell in hospital,and most nurses do their job because they're passionate about it and love to help people. And a lot of the ones who do it just for the money leave a lot to be desired!(most nurses are underpaid and do to many hours!). What I'm saying is I wasn't in to pistol shooting or ever been fox hunting but I marched across London for them because it's their sport and the antis will not stop till anything to do with country sports is stopped including fishing! Get your golf clubs out! So we don't need anyone representing us who's against any form of shooting/ hunting/fishing. If your a wild fowler and think driven shooting is slaughter, keep it to yourself, if you shoot driven and think coursings cruel,keep it quiet, fieldsports people should stick together and Basc should all be as passionate or keep them out!

YES 100% the anti will always try to divide us.