Martyn Jones BASC candidate

kent

Martyn Jones Former Labour MP is standing as a BASC candidate. Please be aware of the things he voted for in his time in office, most importantly the issue below:

HE VOTED STRONGLY FOR THE ABOLOITION OF HUNTING

Other issues might interest you

Voted to try and exclude himself from the freedom of information act at the start of the expenses scandal - the vote failed!

Don't just listen to what you are told search the candidates, we see what happens when we get the wrong sort in with the GL threads so make your own minds up but do your research before hand!

Dear All,

I am not allowed to get involved in lobbying for any candidate, nor can I pass any comment on prospective candidates.

However, I can tell you that all BASC members are eligible for election as per the constitution. Prospective candidates need to be proposed and seconded by existing members. Instructions for how to stand for Council are printed in the relevant BASC mag and are on the web site

On hunting - we worked alongside the CA who obviously took the lead on this issue - we did all they asked of us.

On lead - come on - please, if BASC had not stood up to the proposed bans, ALL lead shot would have been banned 10 years before the restrictions came in for wildfowl in England...

David

I don't know the former MP candidate at all, and certainly won't be voting for him.

However I do know both the proposer and seconder, they certainly are not anti's, I would be surprised if they were aware of the candidates previous activity.

webber

I don't know the former MP candidate at all, and certainly won't be voting for him.

However I do know both the proposer and seconder, they certainly are not anti's, I would be surprised if they were aware of the candidates previous activity.

webber

That brings up a whole new set of questions in itself. I am wondering if there is enough info about these people, I suspect most vote with the bits they like the sound of rather than do a bit of checking first. Its become evident of late just how important appointing the right type has become under the light of recent events. You never know how badly this could effect yourself, BASC and other members.

Perhaps the system needs looking at? the time of membership was a big giveaway to me

Edited by kent

Googled him. There's 5 minutes of my life I wont get back, but it does seem odd that an anti hunting former MP should seek election to the BASC committee. Wont there be a conflict of (moral) issues in any dealings he may be required to take part in with the CA?

Perhaps BASC believe his experience within rural affairs and his familiarity within political chambers qualifies him as a prime candidate? Personally I'd be showing him the door and be having a quiet word with those who seconded him regarding their motives.

No doubt BASC members will vote as they see fit, and possibly think twice about who they want to give their membership money to come renewal.

Edited by Scully

As I say, all current members are entitled to stand for election if proposed and seconded, that's what the constitution says.

David

David,

It may be a good idea if you got the candidate to post a brief statement either here or in the BASC mag regarding his background. Like others I'd suggest a bit more rigour in the vetting protest. It really isnt good enough that BASC council could so easily be compromised.

Here's a nice quote from Mr. Jones (2008);

Any move to reopen the issue of fox hunting is utterly ridiculous. The Act was only passed into law in 2005 and was widely debated. It is an act which signalled the end to a cruel and outmoded form of upper class enjoyment."

Leaving aside any particular views on hunting with hounds, it does rather suggest that Mr. Jones is not afraid to use the class based rhetoric so beloved of shooting's opponents. He must get on well with George Monbiot!

I would urge any BASC members who think that Mr. Jones' views on hunting make him an unacceptable candidate to use their vote wisely and to make sure that their fellow BASC members know of Mr. Jones' stance.