sound mod and ammo for .22lr

cuzzy

hi all im picking up a ruger 10/22 to replace my 17 hmr can anyone tell me the best mod i know that sak work well but after something that is really good i do have a dm80 but it won't fit and whats the best ammo is there anything with less chance of ricochet

I use a sako (not a sak!) mod on my .22lr I find it a great mod, I've tried a few but find it the best in its price range. Personally I wouldn't bother pending more than £40 on a rimfire mod as you'll pay twice as much for a fraction more noise reduction.

As for ammo there is no definite answer, it's, down to finding what ammo your gun likes. Best off going and getting a box or two of as many brands as you can and spend a day testing them.

Cheers

Frankly any mod is ok on a .22lr, and the difference in sound reduction, if you are using sub sonic ammo, isn't worth the debate. Hence why SAK are so popular, always used to be PH back in the day, but there was next to nothing else available back then, and technology has hardly moved so they still work!

Any ammo can ricochet, the .22lr is still the worlds most popular civil calibre by miles, so most people can obviously deal with that issue, hitting your quarry is a good start. Just the same some ammo may be better than others, allegedly CCI segmented is meant to help, others swear by it, I am no fan of it on performance or accuracy......or price!

Edited by Dekers

I've parker hale on my old Brno, you can strip them down to clean them. Never cleaned mine but still quiet!! I use Winchester subs ( can't fault ). Regarding ricochets don't think you can avoid the odd one, especially during summer when stubbles,meadows etc can be backed hard. Just take care.