2006/2007 - Our Pheasant Shoot Review Slideshow

Millomite

Once again I bow to someones greatness,

You are obviously very good a keeping your birds, you obviously can't shoot for toffee.

I don’t shoot, I beat, again, don’t be too hasty in your criticisms. I just love childish replies

My criticisms are unfounded you are quite right, as are yours towards Ferretboy111. And laughable yes quite right we can't be serious all the time.

I have not criticised him once Martin

You obviously cannot accept that someone else is better at something than you, are you an only child? Your posts attack someone for doing something well and then you can't take someone else having a pop back.

Keepering is not something I do Martin, as I have said earlier my grandfather is the keeper. I do not profess to being one, nor have the desire or time to be one.

I have worked with ferretboy 111, beat for him and shot with him and never have I found him to be anything like you make out.

Knowing someone counts a lot more in my book than just typing on a keyboard. If the guns on his shoot have shot someone elses birds then ask why they wandered? Probably because FB111 is looking after them better.

Why do I need to ask?

I find the fact that he criticised our return, when not knowing anything at all about our shoot a little derogatory, only a few months ago I was helping him out when he asked about his birds having gapes.

very nice scott :drool:

iam sure we had more rain than the pictures show ?

as for the game keeper iam sure Ray can still run uPand down that fell :drool::drool:

any way scott all the best with rugby. and give my regards to - RAY CLIVE AND BIFF

and i'll see you at robs clay shoot :huh:

Half the pictures are us drying out after the bloody rain mate!!! :yes:

Hopefully I can get a win at the clay shoot mate after having seconds and thirds for the past 5 years!!!

Scott it looks like the faimly had a great time this season. :drool: Your Grandfather has done a great job getting up those hills to do the feeding and I can see how you could be producing some high flying birds pushing off there. :drool:

The ones that are missed do they work their way back up or do they hold down in the vally?

Some good photos there and lots of memories shared.

NTTF

Scott it looks like the faimly had a great time this season. :drool: Your Grandfather has done a great job getting up those hills to do the feeding and I can see how you could be producing some high flying birds pushing off there. :drool:

The ones that are missed do they work their way back up or do they hold down in the vally?

Some good photos there and lots of memories shared.

NTTF

They go up, up and up mate. They prefer the open fell to the valley bottom. We have no cereals etc except wheat in the summer

In regards to the clueless comments, your 1001 questions on how to keeper would suggest otherwise.

How is having 300 birds out in the wild going to fuel the antis? Surely 300 birds surviving and having the potential to survive and breed in the wild is much better, in their eyes, than ending up in the game larder?

You make sweeping generalisations. In any other situation could you say you could get another 75% return? No I think not.

The guns in our syndicate pay £150. For that they shoot whenever they want, and within legal restrictions, whatever they want. There are 8 guns in our syndicate, thats 100 shots each at pheasant say, plus days on the pigeon, duck, crows, geese, rabbits, deer and some fishing. For £150 quid thats excellent value. A lot of people would pay £150 for a days shooting.

I think you have a lot to learn, and in some respects hope you fail at some point, if only to realise it's not as easy as you like to think

.......................book me in for next season mate :drool::yes::huh::D:D:drool:

looks like a bloody good shoot to me :drool:

In regards to the clueless comments, your 1001 questions on how to keeper would suggest otherwise.

How is having 300 birds out in the wild going to fuel the antis? Surely 300 birds surviving and having the potential to survive and breed in the wild is much better, in their eyes, than ending up in the game larder?

You make sweeping generalisations. In any other situation could you say you could get another 75% return? No I think not.

The guns in our syndicate pay £150. For that they shoot whenever they want, and within legal restrictions, whatever they want. There are 8 guns in our syndicate, thats 100 shots each at pheasant say, plus days on the pigeon, duck, crows, geese, rabbits, deer and some fishing. For £150 quid thats excellent value. A lot of people would pay £150 for a days shooting.

I think you have a lot to learn, and in some respects hope you fail at some point, if only to realise it's not as easy as you like to think

.......................book me in for next season mate :drool::yes::huh::D:D:drool:

looks like a bloody good shoot to me :drool:

Welcome mate. I'm aloud a few guests, I'll see what I can do :D

Can i just congratulate Millimite on a very good video, a great, successful pheasant shooting season and also to ignore all the stupid comments from ferretboy and martincavie. Never heard such c#@p from so called 'shooting people'. Don't believe what either say. You will always find idiots in every aspect of life. Just hope when they have a gun in there hands they always point it at the ground because people like these have no idea why they shoot or how to.In Ferrets case..how to be a gamekeeper! (by the way i think ferret boy somehow was on speaking terms with the 10 pheasants that got away and martincavie...the 10 birds that got away from ferretboys shoot should be arrested asap as it is illegal for a pheasant to desert its shoot!!!!!!!!!!)

P.s

To release 3-400 birds just to let them wander off is wrong, and also I believe illegal.

You are not allowed to release birds into the wild where it will upset the natural balance.

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.p.s this year im going to issue a pheasant passport system..in order to keep the pheasants on my shoot!!!

LoL this does make me laugh!!!! :drool:

At the end of the day we can all say what we think,,,, i started the (so called)critism because i wanted to know why your shoot from 350 or so pheasants put down only got 118 return, one could call it a minor critism but like i have said previously i just wanted to know why the return was soo low for!!

Unless you are an actual keeper or have your own shoot, or have keepered a shoot before no1 can believe how much work goes into them... like everything you get out what you put in.

Im on my shoot everday, in rain, snow, darkness, even be it for an hour or so, i dont get paid, n if i do its pittance, i do it because i have a passion for it all.

Nickfromsomerset, i dont know your background or anything or why you are soo quick to label and judge people so im not going to reply to anything you say....

I find the fact that he criticised our return, when not knowing anything at all about our shoot a little derogatory, only a few months ago I was helping him out when he asked about his birds having gapes.

Like i said i was just asking, we all help each other out on here, i was intrigued why only 118 were shot, now i know..... Thankyou....

:drool:

Sorry but i have to ask you one question.... for a shoot that releases 120 birds...why on earth does your shoot need a keeper? whether full time or part time?? never heard of any keeper releasing 120 birds before...take it there are no predators, no roads nearby and you pick every bird you find..only reason you have high percentage is because you are obviously shooting birds from a different shoot..not that thats a bad thing.Sure they will be shooting yours too.

Does anyone else agree with me or am i being a bit shortsighted?:drool:

(quote) Sorry but i have to ask you one question.... for a shoot that releases 120 birds...why on earth does your shoot need a keeper?

Like you said its not the quantity its the quality! :drool:

Yeah i spoke to the keeper as he was the previous keeper of my shoot, he didnt tell me the return numbers, ill ask him when i next speak to him.. but my shoot owner said he spoke to the farmer and apparently they didnt get a good return, because of the other larger shoot next door which has some smashin woodlands.

But i must add when my shoot owner says not a good return, he means 300 down, 200 shot, he thinks like that, he thought my 81 return over 3 days wasnt a good enough return from 120 birds. :drool:

Alex

Sorry but i have to ask you one question.... for a shoot that releases 120 birds...why on earth does your shoot need a keeper? whether full time or part time?? never heard of any keeper releasing 120 birds before...

i have no intention of being involved in a arguement here but I agree with nick here, or is "keepering" a part time hobby for you FB?

Surely your relatively small release numbers are intended for a small informal/friendly shoot? :drool:

I have never come across SOLD let days with a promise of 120 birds down over any large acreage.

Or is it let days on a shoot which is heavily reliant on attracting birds from a neighbouring shoot? :D

NOTE TO ALL READERS,

THERE IS NO DIRECT CRITICISM INTENDED TO ANY PERSON ON MY COMMENTS ABOVE...........

SO I DON'T WANT ANY BACK :drool::drool::yes::huh::D:D

Its not a syndicate or anything, its a small shoot so the shoot owner gets invited back to the shoots the guns have! Its a passion, im at writtle agricultural college for my other time, but i am the full time keeper, and in my eyes it doesnt matter whether you are releasing 120 or 1200 birds, everything is the same, and the stress and problems are also.

Alex

Millomite,

You know from my earlier post on here I tried to be diplomatic about the whole subject, but it seems to have got out of hand a little.

I too, as I have said elsewhere, have beaten and shot on the shoot that FB111 keepers, so to some my opinions may seem bias. But, I have to say that at no time do we actually shoot near the boundaries of the Shoot and nor does the neighbouring shoot. This leads me to believe that like on any shoot the birds that had light feathers must have wandered from them. As FB said his Mongolian Blues, which you cannot mistake other than for a japanese green were shot on the neighbouring shoot, now these birds are extremely prone to wandering and as such to only lose a few from those put down means he must be doing something right.

He does work extremely hard on his shoot, doing everything himself, with the occasional help from myself, MC and FG.22, but to his credit he has been out and done the coppicing work, maintained the pens, built new feeders, controlled the rabbits, rats, foxes etc. etc.

His only fault, if you can call it that, is that being as young as he is, he is still learning, but let me tell you this his thirst for knowledge and incredible keeness more than makes up for his lack of experience. IMHO I felt his initial post was somewhat carelessly worded, but knowing him as I do, I feel I can say that I believe he was trying to work out why the return against birds released/bred/retained etc. was the figure it was in order that he might learn something to help him on his shoot.

Most Shoots are only too happy if they get a return of 30-40%, and the larger the acreage, and more birds that are released the more number you have to hit to get that percentage up. This is not helped by birds tendancy to wander, increased vermin control, disease, predators, roads, natural topography, bad breeding year, weather, Birds of Prey, Walkers dogs, etc. etc. etc.

Personally this year we are releasing 1000 pheasants to 1300 acres, with purpose made plantations, coppices, hedgerows, thickets etc. etc. But if we break the 400 bird mark I'll be surprised even with the very high number of natural wild birds on the estate present.

What everybody has to realise, and I think someone else mentioned it earlier, is that unless every individual on here has visited everybody else's shoot in person and spent time watching and learning, then nobody should criticise the returns for anybody. All we can do is pass on advice, that we ourselves have either witnessed or carried out and experienced ourselves. We should all be humble enough to ask for advice if we don't know, or aren't sure on the way forward..

Right off Soapbox, hope the season goes well for you and everybody else on here, and look forward to more pics/vids/tales before, during and after next season.

SS :drool:

Sounds like a fantasic shoot to me and would love to be a part of it if i was nearer ( give me a shout if you want a gun for a day ) : :D

on another note how if your puppy coming on, hope she is well !

all the best ed

She's good mate, steadiness training over and over again at the moment

• 2 weeks later...
Millomite,

You know from my earlier post on here I tried to be diplomatic about the whole subject, but it seems to have got out of hand a little.

I too, as I have said elsewhere, have beaten and shot on the shoot that FB111 keepers, so to some my opinions may seem bias. But, I have to say that at no time do we actually shoot near the boundaries of the Shoot and nor does the neighbouring shoot. This leads me to believe that like on any shoot the birds that had light feathers must have wandered from them. As FB said his Mongolian Blues, which you cannot mistake other than for a japanese green were shot on the neighbouring shoot, now these birds are extremely prone to wandering and as such to only lose a few from those put down means he must be doing something right.

He does work extremely hard on his shoot, doing everything himself, with the occasional help from myself, MC and FG.22, but to his credit he has been out and done the coppicing work, maintained the pens, built new feeders, controlled the rabbits, rats, foxes etc. etc.

His only fault, if you can call it that, is that being as young as he is, he is still learning, but let me tell you this his thirst for knowledge and incredible keeness more than makes up for his lack of experience. IMHO I felt his initial post was somewhat carelessly worded, but knowing him as I do, I feel I can say that I believe he was trying to work out why the return against birds released/bred/retained etc. was the figure it was in order that he might learn something to help him on his shoot.

Most Shoots are only too happy if they get a return of 30-40%, and the larger the acreage, and more birds that are released the more number you have to hit to get that percentage up. This is not helped by birds tendancy to wander, increased vermin control, disease, predators, roads, natural topography, bad breeding year, weather, Birds of Prey, Walkers dogs, etc. etc. etc.

Personally this year we are releasing 1000 pheasants to 1300 acres, with purpose made plantations, coppices, hedgerows, thickets etc. etc. But if we break the 400 bird mark I'll be surprised even with the very high number of natural wild birds on the estate present.

What everybody has to realise, and I think someone else mentioned it earlier, is that unless every individual on here has visited everybody else's shoot in person and spent time watching and learning, then nobody should criticise the returns for anybody. All we can do is pass on advice, that we ourselves have either witnessed or carried out and experienced ourselves. We should all be humble enough to ask for advice if we don't know, or aren't sure on the way forward..

Right off Soapbox, hope the season goes well for you and everybody else on here, and look forward to more pics/vids/tales before, during and after next season.

SS :P

i agree 100 % with the above we should be wishing all good luck for the forthcoming season and not bickering amongst each other good luck to all

• 3 weeks later...

Great show Millomite. What a good small shoot is all about.

Incidently, -our returns were even lower this year (about 20%.) We have put it down to the mild winter allowing birds to wander as there is more natural food about.

But did we enjoy it? - YOU BET.

• 1 month later...

nice show i enjoyed that, returns pretty similar to our own we peeked at 40% this year and were well chuffed, did i spot 3 golden retrievers in there. how do they compare to the labs [just curious :lol: ] nice to see views of home, even if it is the wrong side of the duddon :lol::good::good: