2013 Subaru Forester

DaveyTed

Question is, is it the 'old' or 'new' version ? The Forester was revised quite heavily in 2013.

The 2 versions are here :

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/forester-2013/

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/forester-2008/

Neither is particularly highly rated, so I suppose it depends on the price and what you think on it, more than anything.

They are all grossly overpriced . Not really a shooting mans car , more like a four wheel drive road car with a little bit of off road ability . For the money you will be paying for it you would be able to buy a new or fairly new pick up truck .

Harnser

Harnser, I totally see where you're coming from regarding a pick-up but I don't need one for where I want to go plus I need something my wife can use on occasions. I cannot see her trying to park a pick-up in a crowded supermarket or hospital carpark. Apart from that running costs for a pick-up are far higher re insurance and fuel.

There seem plenty of folk on the forum who find Honda CRVs and RAV4s adequate for their needs.

I assume you consider all SUV/4x4 s grossly overpriced since the Subaru sits around the middle of their pricing. I've always considered pick-ups overpriced for what you get with basic 4x4 systems which cannot, in many cases, be used on road due to lack of centre diff.

But everyone to their own needs.

Regards

Dave

Harnser, I totally see where you're coming from regarding a pick-up but I don't need one for where I want to go plus I need something my wife can use on occasions. I cannot see her trying to park a pick-up in a crowded supermarket or hospital carpark. Apart from that running costs for a pick-up are far higher re insurance and fuel.

There seem plenty of folk on the forum who find Honda CRVs and RAV4s adequate for their needs.

I assume you consider all SUV/4x4 s grossly overpriced since the Subaru sits around the middle of their pricing. I've always considered pick-ups overpriced for what you get with basic 4x4 systems which cannot, in many cases, be used on road due to lack of centre diff.

But everyone to their own needs.

Regards

Dave

The biggest problem with the Subaru is the lack of ground clearance . Some of the subaru's don't have a low range transfer box ,that's a big disadvantage off road . The turbo one is quite potent if that's what you are after . Yes I do think that all the SUV's are over priced considering what you could get for the same money . If your wife doesn't want to drive a pickup then I understand your predicament. I had a forester a few years ago and on the road it was a very nice car to drive . It was the all weather model with the low range transfer box and did well on farm tracks and stubble fields . I got stuck more times than I would like mention when using it off road on the farm proper and dear god wasn't it thirsty . I got rid of it ,not because it was a bad care ,but because it was not suited for general off road work .

Harnser

The biggest problem with the Subaru is the lack of ground clearance . Some of the subaru's don't have a low range transfer box ,that's a big disadvantage off road . The turbo one is quite potent if that's what you are after . Yes I do think that all the SUV's are over priced considering what you could get for the same money . If your wife doesn't want to drive a pickup then I understand your predicament. I had a forester a few years ago and on the road it was a very nice car to drive . It was the all weather model with the low range transfer box and did well on farm tracks and stubble fields . I got stuck more times than I would like mention when using it off road on the farm proper and dear god wasn't it thirsty . I got rid of it ,not because it was a bad care ,but because it was not suited for general off road work .

The pick up is not a problem to park any where ,although I haven't taken mine into a multi storey car park because with roof bars on the top I may get wedged . The 4x4 system is as good as any other vehicle and my navarra will go anywhere my two disco's would go . Just look at the modern pick up and you will see a very capable truck on and off road . They drive like an up market car and are crammed with all the modern gadgets you could want .

Harnser

Done over 150k in a Forester XT I bought new (same boxer engine but in petrol turbo). I have had it places you wont believe (off road ability is only limited by clearance and suspension travel, tyres). I used to race Comp safari in the past and low box was never used and is not required away from extreme traction situations when tyres and clearance will limit you more than ratio. Remember they are a lot lighter and shorter, better balanced than a big truck. In snow on roads they laugh at the usual badly balanced bigger . higher 4x4s

Expect it do massive amount of mileage if you keep it but parts are now expensive (though you will very rarely change them), £250 + gaskets+ vat for a back box part only (I bought a fabricated stainless one for less) . Downside of the diesel conversion is it stall easy till you get used to it, I drove some when they were launched

Interesting views, I'll grant you my 2007 shogun isn't the best on fuel, 20mpg around town and 30on a run, ( neither is a turbo charged petrol subaru if you put your foot down) but it just cost me £333 to insure fully comp for me and the mrs( in a high risk area) , is well balanced, would make a mockery of a subaru in a " ground clearance restricted " situation or through High water , is luxurious, well balanced and came with both a reversing camera and parking sensors as standard making it an absolute doddle to park and manoeuvre in any carpark for me and the mrs ,pretty bulletproof as well as are most Japanese cars and has proved unstoppable in the snow. I'm not knocking a Subaru in any way ( unless you're trying to find the spark plugs) just offering my personal experience . If you want to go off-road best buy an off-road vehicle rather than a family estate car which happens to have an AWD facility, AWD and 4x4's are quite different beasts which suit different purposes , the £500 annual road tax is quite painfull though

Thanks for all the comments - most confusing!

I wonder if some comments are reflecting the pre 2008 Forester which was basically a 4wd estate car. The 2013 model has 220mm ground clearance which is very little less than a pick-up - 5mm less than Isuzu for example.

Yes, agreed, I would have difficulty finding the spark plugs as I'm looking at a diesel.

I had two of the early Foresters, and for me they were very good. Both were company cars and did 120,000 miles or so with no issues. I did c. 50,000 miles a year.

Both were petrol and heavy on juice - c.30mpg.

It all depends what you want - yes they were not mud pluggers, but I had to have one car only for me, and they did the job.

If you use your common sense you will not get stuck - I restricted mine to grassy fields over a 'sensible' amount of mud, as they were only equipped with road tyres. I got stuck twice, once bogging down in a spring in the middle of a field that even the gamekeeper did not know was there. The other time a colleague was driving and he was too adventurous.......

The low range box was excellent, and I must have shot at least a couple of thousand rabbits out of the sunroof.

I changed over to a Skoda Yeti as the number of Subaru dealers diminished rapidly in the North West, and that has given me no problems either - the diesel engine in the Yeti was brilliant (50mpg or so) and when I retired I bought a brand new Yeti as my own car.

As I said - it all depends on what you want. If you are a 'family man' that needs a family car with a fair degree of off road capability then the Forester is as good as any on the market.

Re "Twistedsanity"'s comment regarding ground clearance - the published spec for a new Shogun shows less ground clearance than the Subaru.

Regarding parts & servicing prices; Subaru prices are something that is putting me off but then I can buy a lot if not spending £500 on road tax!

Also as Dead-eyed duck mentions the number of Subaru dealers is diminishing which is of concern. Maybe because, as I understand from a former dealer, they are obliged to accept an allocation of cars with little chance of selling some models in particular areas.

Thanks for all your replies - food for thought.

I need something my wife can use on occasions. I cannot see her trying to park a pick-up in a crowded supermarket or hospital carpark.

My wife loves taking my truck out, mud tyres and all (and it not a small truck...Hilux Surf), She needs a step to get in and you can barely see her when shes driving it... she loves the look on peoples faces when she climbs out with the kids :D

I've seen a 54 plate go further through some serious mud beating a disco 3,a four track and me in my landcruiser.

If only they had put a diesel in years ago I think many more would have converted.

As they have a lighter footprint than a heavy 4x4 they can resist bogging.

Sadly the poachers choice of car round here and they use them to outrun the law.

Good mpg for the new model at over 45mpg Combined.

F.

I've seen a 54 plate go further through some serious mud beating a disco 3,a four track and me in my landcruiser.

If only they had put a diesel in years ago I think many more would have converted.

As they have a lighter footprint than a heavy 4x4 they can resist bogging.

Sadly the poachers choice of car round here and they use them to outrun the law.

Good mpg for the new model at over 45mpg Combined.

F.

Yes that is some of it, the balance also allows a decent driver to keep driving taking turns through gates etc in a controlled slide etc. (keeping forwards motion is so important off road without accelerating and decelerating all the time) try that in a PU or high travel suspension 4x4 and your in the ditch or sideways into the fencepost. I recovered some deer from the top of a big hill one time and the keeper didn't believe me as although he was an experienced professional machine driver and experienced off roader he couldn't get his PU to go up were I took the Scooby that day (std Yokahama geolanders) had to take him out and show him the tyre tracks in the end.

Any who have visited my place and know my front track will realise how bad it gets with over 2ft of snow on it, with the steep gradient and deep ruts but I have actually pushed through the snow at that depth pulling stranded vehicles behind me on a tow rope. Its just not got the clearance and also when you enter water the engine guard plate can lift your front wheels up. across fairly lump free slippery stuff they are pretty much unbeatable though.

Insurance cost has never been a big issue for me and the Mrs, we both have a good enough past and profile to make no matter

SUV's hold their price for a reason, they are a good at what they do,if the weren't they would be cheap,they drive nicely with a higher driving position and are easy to park, they will get you around in the snow, like any 4 x 4 it depends how good the tyres are to how far it will get you out of the sticky stuff as well.Subarus have good ground clearance

I have a 2010 forester diesel and it is just the best all round, car I have ever had, I bought it for the Mrs to take the kids to school in the bad weather we had a few years ago and she loves it,now it's our only car and it does everything, it shops and parks easily,it tows superbly and with all season tyres on its ok off road too,it goes across fields and mud with no problems, a big boot too.

MPG is 50 plus on a run,surprisingly 38 around town, the engine is built for hard work and tows well, expect MPG to be in the twenties for towing 1.5 tonne plus.Plasticy interiors are functional and don't mark easily and wipe clean unlike my mates Audi the plastics look nice but you can mark it with you fingernail.

If you are carrying lots of dirty stuff or are doing a lot of off road stuff a dedicated 4x4 may be the thing.

I urge you to test drive a crew cab then a Forester straight after I know which one you will prefer to drive,the only crew cab I haven't driven is the VW Amarok and it is supposed to be very good but too big for an all rounder in my opinion,the others are a poor ride unless carrying weight

Edited by gazbev

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have decided to take the plunge and have put a deposit on the Forester. Pick it up later in the week.

Incidentally, I sold my Zafira to "Webuyanycar.com" as they their offer after deducting their admin charge was only £500 less than my local Vauxhall dealer is selling them at the same age.