Semi auto advice

Afastr

I'm interested in purchasing a Semi auto mainly for clay shooting.

I'm looking to spend about £600 at the most.

I've narrowed my choices down to a new Armsan 612W, or potentially a Beretta Urika if I can find one for a decent enough price. Armsan looks to be about £450 new, I've seen a Urika or £495 on Gunstar, and Urika 2's for £600ish.

Are there big differences between the Urika and the Urika two? and are there any other guns within this kind of price range, new or second hand I should be considering.

Thanks,

Alun

No and No .

There is very little between the ulrika 1 & 2 the ulrika 2 had a redesigned piston which was suppose to have self cleaned better , I had both and could not tell the difference.

The piston from the 2 would fit the one anyway.

I personally would not consider much else in that price bracket, perhaps at a push the franchi raptor may be worth a look ,but certainly not a turkish made auto, to be fair I have heard some good reviews on the armsans compared to some , but they still will not compare to a beretta

Just seen a Urika Gold nearish to me in good nick for a reasonable price (£550). I've seen Urika 2's for about £600, but I'd have to cross the country or RFD to get hold of them, so I'm inclined to go with the gold - looks pretty blooming swish as well.

Remington 1100/1187 good guns but can be ammunition fussy. The 11-87 is also a touch heavy.

Browning Maxus, nice gun with the WOOD stock if you can live with a loose and moving forend.

Winchester X3 as the Browning except for the rattling forend, TRY the synthetic stock BEFORE you buy, it can be a bit thin in the comb for some,

which will cause headlifting.

Beretta, a good, used 303 is always a good buy, if a little heavy, can be a bit ammo fussy though.

The 391 is a good buy too but a bit of a pig to clean, compared to the Winchester/Browning guns and even the newer Beretta 300's.

Whatever you choose, I would urge you to try before you buy. The fit is not too critical because that can be easily altered with spacers etc. Try with your usual ammo to make sure it will cycle them. I have seen 'Friday Afternoon' guns from ALL of the top makers that have been a source of trouble with ammo cycling so you do need to try the gun.

My advice, go with the Beretta. It may be harder to find the right one, but that is usually because people hang onto them and that speaks volumes.

Edited by Westley

And WHY ? This is the result of a totally unjustified bias by a few C**P shooters who find it impossible to blame themselves for their own inadequacy, should they miss a target. Having scored and Reffed many a DTL comp. I think I have probably heard most of the Top 50 Excuses for Missing. You will probably find that those same ****H***S still miss targets when the nearest auto is in the next County.

And WHY ? This is the result of a totally unjustified bias by a few C**P shooters who find it impossible to blame themselves for their own inadequacy, should they miss a target. Having scored and Reffed many a DTL comp. I think I have probably heard most of the Top 50 Excuses for Missing. You will probably find that those same ****H***S still miss targets when the nearest auto is in the next County.

lol :)

I have the Armsan A612 and it has been a really good gun for the price but if I had the money again and was looking for a semi auto I would buy the beretta. Not because it's a better gun but a while back I fell on hard times and needed to release some cash from my stash of toys. Only had stupid offers for the Armsan. My Beretta 686 and my mossberg sold for what I wanted instantly.

If you do buy the Armsan you won't be disappointed (until you have to sell it)

Edited by Sco77w

Once had 2 Peratzi toting gents who stuck there nose up at my Remy 870 pump in 410 and people who shot them a peashooter one called it.

Really p@@@@sed them of when I asked for the high bird to straiten the skeet, they didnt need the choice, plastered in badges on what they had straitened in the past. Made my day

I have the Armsan A612 and it has been a really good gun for the price but if I had the money again and was looking for a semi auto I would buy the beretta. Not because it's a better gun but a while back I fell on hard times and needed to release some cash from my stash of toys. Only had stupid offers for the Armsan. My Beretta 686 and my mossberg sold for what I wanted instantly.

If you do buy the Armsan you won't be disappointed (until you have to sell it)

I'd come to the same conclusion myself mate. Seen a lot of second hand Armsan's sitting on Gun Trader / Gun Star / Gun Watch for quite a while. I purchased myself a second hand Urika Gold, which I very much like the look and feel of. Need to see how I get on with it now on the clays!

ive just sold a beretta ES100 for £425.

granted it was the cheapest i could find in the uk, but still a worth while option.

inertia driven so a little more kick than a gas one (not much though)

very reliable and busted clays all day long.

i couldnt shoot it for **** while shooting skeet, but let my friend have a go and he shot 25 straight with it.

Once had 2 Peratzi toting gents who stuck there nose up at my Remy 870 pump in 410 and people who shot them a peashooter one called it.

Really p@@@@sed them of when I asked for the high bird to straiten the skeet, they didnt need the choice, plastered in badges on what they had straitened in the past. Made my day

Good job mate :)

I think you need to get out there and try as many as you possibly can. There are some very, very good autos out there.

Back in my clay shooting days I often shot at Shap Wells Hotel club; a great little club which sadly folded when the hotel changed hands....but I digress. There was an old boy there who came with his two sons; he had a Remi' 1100 in .410 and his sons had Remi' 1100's in 12 bore. They were all good shots but neither son could match their Dad. I decided I wanted one, but ended up with an 1187. A superb bit of kit, and I grew to love autos, and since then I have had an old clunky Breda, a S1 1187 SP, a Franchi 620, a Browning 2000, a Beretta 303 and now have a Winchester 1500 XTR.

If I was looking for one in your price range for competition, out of those I've owned, I would opt for either the Franchi ( but in 12 bore) or Beretta 300 series, and probably settle for the latter. Franchi are very under-rated guns in my opinion, but the Beretta will hold its value better.

But life is just too short and you can never have enough guns, so get out there and sample them all at any opportunity.

Edited by Scully