New shop...

JustFieldsports

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a decent online website, good cartridge prices, not a huge profit margin but a huge draw to get people into your shop

another big draw would be country & hunting clothing in mens sizes.. its suprising how many of us are porkers and cant fit into the little boys sizes a lot of shops sell

for me the best draw would be a shop that catered for left handed shooters not treating them like outcasts.. i know lefties only account for 10% or so of the population so carrying a big stock would be financially restrictive due to the turnover compared to right handed items but it is next to impossible where i live to walk into a country / gun shop and find suitable guns, clothing & accesories. somewhere that catered for left handers would be a draw for me and one i would travel considerably further for and i know if i walked into such a shop id end up trying things and buying them

Weldone on opening up your shop I hope it all goes well, one thing I always thought would be good was if country shops sold fishing tackle ot means people aren't running to different stores all the time i always thought it would be good for the shop as well you shoild get in touch with your local river club or trout fisheries and organise something where you could sell day ticket for them?

It's just an idea killing two birds with one stone.

Good luck

Weldone on opening up your shop I hope it all goes well, one thing I always thought would be good was if country shops sold fishing tackle ot means people aren't running to different stores all the time i always thought it would be good for the shop as well you shoild get in touch with your local river club or trout fisheries and organise something where you could sell day ticket for them?

Good luck

A bale and son in Cardiff do this tbh these days are more of a fishing shop that sells guns.

a decent online website, good cartridge prices, not a huge profit margin but a huge draw to get people into your shop

Agreed, a new gun shop opened near here recently but doesn't appear to have done any research, their cartridges are considerably more expensive than the agricultural merchants just a few miles away. I'd much rather buy from a gun shop and know the prices before I made the journey.

Good luck!

One bit of advice. Price consumables he same way tesco does for milk and bread.
Ammo should be cheap, don't plan to make money on it, all it does is get people through the door. Once they're in the shop they pick other bits up and that's where you make the money.

People always need ammo, just like they always need milk and bread.

And when someone comes in for a look around, say hello (they already know to ask for your help should they need it) but leave them to look around peacefully without rushing them. Thats how sales are made.

One bit of advice. Price consumables he same way tesco does for milk and bread.

Ammo should be cheap, don't plan to make money on it, all it does is get people through the door. Once they're in the shop they pick other bits up and that's where you make the money.

People always need ammo, just like they always need milk and bread.

And when someone comes in for a look around, say hello (they already know to ask for your help should they need it) but leave them to look around peacefully without rushing them. Thats how sales are made.

Very good post !!!

Good luck

Second that! Fly fishing and shooting for me! :)

A dealer told me regulations stopped him putting a price list in view for ammo, he had his round a corner out of free public view..... is this true?

I like wee nik naks, knive sharpener, flasks, ear defenders, socks, face veils, camo gear. A good price is very important. Have a loss leader to get the punters in. Theboffer of a cuppa and chat is good. Maybe a notice board for shooting wanted, offered etc.

Lived in Leighton for over 20 years myself, there used to be a decent gunshop there ( Tom Lindars) but he closed in the early 80s.

Good luck with the venture.

As a new business I would think cash is likely to be tight and you dont want it sitting in unsold stock. Clothing is what sells steadily and margins are pretty decent, try and avoid brands that are heavily discounted on line. Try to do a deal with your suppliers to return any unsold products after a given period, its not in their interest either to have your shop stuffed with slow moving items. As far as I am aware the nearest decent gunshops to you are Bletchley and Markyate so you should be able to access whatever brands you like. The area is pretty wealthy so stocking higher quality products as well as a budget brand should cover both ends of the market.

The very best of luck.

A

Good luck on the new venture. One thing I always struggle finding is decent clothing for the kids. I would love to get my 9 year old a nice clay vest but can't find one at a decent price. Also you could get the female shooters in with pink vests/ear defenders etc.

all the best

And a free coffee machine - keeps me in a shop for longer.

Edited by acsimmo

Thanks for all the feedback guys; fabulously helpful.

Happy to say that I had already adopted a great deal of your idea, and plan to adopt lots more.

And a free coffee machine

Yep, that would be me!

Completely agree about the loss - leader (although going more for a break-even leader) and quite rightly that will be the pellets, cartridges and section 1 ammunition. As was pointed out, this is the bread and milk of our sport.

Please do keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

PS Obviously there is a discount for all PigeonWatch members ;-)

Well done and good luck with your venture. If you do not already know, I feel sure you will quickly find out, the problems with selling clothing. One company will have large at say 40" chest, that will be a medium by a different manufacturer. I did have an account with Musto, when I was connected with a shooting ground. Their clothing was always listed by chest size, 40" 42" 44" etc. etc. Then they changed things and started sizings in S,M,L,XL etc. The only way to buy clothing is to try it. Be prepared to have to order and re order to get the correct sizings. I recently bought the Musto brogues, I take a size 8 shoe, I ended up with a Musto 9 1/2. I have NEVER worn a 9 1/2 shoe. The Clay shooting waterproof jacket, again by Musto, is an XL, which is actually a 42" chest. Problem is returning wrong sizings is at your expense, or it sits on your shelf until it ends up on Ebay for sale at cost.

Well done and good luck with your venture. If you do not already know, I feel sure you will quickly find out, the problems with selling clothing. One company will have large at say 40" chest, that will be a medium by a different manufacturer. I did have an account with Musto, when I was connected with a shooting ground. Their clothing was always listed by chest size, 40" 42" 44" etc. etc. Then they changed things and started sizings in S,M,L,XL etc. The only way to buy clothing is to try it. Be prepared to have to order and re order to get the correct sizings. I recently bought the Musto brogues, I take a size 8 shoe, I ended up with a Musto 9 1/2. I have NEVER worn a 9 1/2 shoe. The Clay shooting waterproof jacket, again by Musto, is an XL, which is actually a 42" chest. Problem is returning wrong sizings is at your expense, or it sits on your shelf until it ends up on Ebay for sale at cost.

Helpful info. Many thanks.

Did you find that sizing was consistent across a brand of did it even vary by product?

Good stuff.

You're not a million miles away - Used to live in Bozeat for many many years! Bit further than that now though!

No it well. You didnt happen to have a major gun room in your house in bozeat did you? Only reason I ask as one of dads old customers used to have one?

Liked your facebook page for you aswell ;-)