To pick or not to pick that is the question?

plitts

I can see both sides of the argument , I've been asked to shoot pigeons and leave them and it's something as I get older sits less well with me. How do you recover or dispatch wounded birds ? If the farmer is worried that much about the damage being done why put a gas gun and a scarecrow out

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you shoot pigeon you're guaranteed to have runners that need to be dispatched, for that reason alone I would simply not shoot over crops that made retrieval impossible. On the very rare occasion that I have been asked to shoot specific fields by the farmer retrieving them hasn't been an issue but if it ever was then I'd set up in such a way as to minimise problems.

I cannot believe the ignorance of some people on this forum, it beggars belief!! Shoot clays if you don't have enough respect for your quarry to pick or dispatch any wounded, you should be ashamed!!! For those of you that this apples to, try a gas gun or flags or rope bangers you have no excuse for the actions some people have mentioned they carry out! You know who you are!! I'm appalled to say the least!!

Hi rich1985. Please don't think I'm trying to be inflammatory, I'm not. But apart from saying respect for the quarry which I understand why do you think it is so appalling. Is it because it is cruel?

This thread confirms my views, first formulated on a similar thread last year, that there are those PW members who I would wish to meet and those who I would not. For some to be so indifferent and disrespectful to shot pigeons, dead or alive, beggars belief.

:good::good::good:

Leaving anything shot to that is not dead is cruel isn't it?? Yes there are times when shot quarry will get away from you and I do hate this but sometimes it's out of our control. I'm not perfect I do not kill every thing cleanly every time but I dispatch as fast as I possibly can. I also think why go shooting a perfectly edible quarry and not even attempting to pick it up? This the farmer said so attitude is a total load of ****, with the arsenal of gas guns etc that we can use if it is not possible to pick your quarry then go along this root. As for taking pigeons to the tip that is totally disgraceful and that person should shoot clays or get a different hobby, totally disgraceful!

So am I right in concluding that 1) it is of course cruel and 2) it is a waste of a perfectly good food source. Is that a fair assessment?

I would say so.

I take them home and put them in the brown bin for recycling into garden compost. :oops:

Why?? Don't you have such things as butchers, game dealers, friends and family??

Rich1985. I completely agree with you it is cruel and a waste of a good food source. The only difference in us is that I don't feel as strongly about it as you do. As I said before when I lay poison for rats I don't feel good about it, but I do it. I buy poultry from supermarkets knowing they have had a terrible life and a possible horrific death. I throw good food away in doors because out of date or whatever. I hate it but I still do it. I don't want to labour the point anymore, but we all have double standards when it comes to our fellow animals. The only person true to their convictions is the moral reason vegetarian. Each to their own but food for thought I hope. ( no pun intended) ATB

who are you to tell me I give the sport a bad name , I shoot to get rid of vermin pure and simple don't judge me , when I haven't done anything wrong

Exactly - shooting under the terms of the general licence we employ gas guns, but the birds get used to them. Then I'll go shoot if there are birds hammering the crop. I lose birds to brambles and in the crop, but that's unfortunate. It's not disgraceful.

I shoot crows and tip them under the hedge. Edit to add: Pigeons I take home wherever possible - but that's my choice, it ain't compulsory!

We all shoot for different reasons.

Edited by Paul T

Rich1985. I completely agree with you it is cruel and a waste of a good food source. The only difference in us is that I don't feel as strongly about it as you do. As I said before when I lay poison for rats I don't feel good about it, but I do it. I buy poultry from supermarkets knowing they have had a terrible life and a possible horrific death. I throw good food away in doors because out of date or whatever. I hate it but I still do it. I don't want to labour the point anymore, but we all have double standards when it comes to our fellow animals. The only person true to their convictions is the moral reason vegetarian. Each to their own but food for thought I hope. ( no pun intended) ATB

I am a poultryman for a well very large company, poultry in my care or any of my colleges care does not have a terrible life, yes they are kept on sheds in large numbers and yes they have a short life but all there needs are cared for up to the highest possible standards, they have never known any different. If I kill a bird in the sheds it is instant by neck dislocation an approved method, slaughter at the processing plant is carried out by gas or electric stunning and is very affective. Each to there own though, every On my way! Has there own views and opinions, that's what makes life interesting!!!

why

Why.... Are you for real??? You shoot and leave it to rot or leave it wounded to die slowly or take it to the tip. You do give shooting a bad name and should stick to clays! Ur the sort of person the antis love, you saying just the sort of things that will help us lose our sport! Maximum effort should be made by sportsmen and women to pick up and use any edible quarry.

Why.... Are you for real??? You shoot and leave it to rot or leave it wounded to die slowly or take it to the tip. You do give shooting a bad name and should stick to clays! Ur the sort of person the antis love, you saying just the sort of things that will help us lose our sport! Maximum effort should be made by sportsmen and women to pick up and use any edible quarry.

:good:

I don't give shooting a bad name , wot I do is vermin control, the farmer would be well ****** if I ruin his crops, like I said I pick up when it's safe not to ruin crops ,the ones I pick up or my dogs pick up get thrown away correctly ,if any ones giving the shooting a bad name its you

who are you to tell me I give the sport a bad name , I shoot to get rid of vermin pure and simple don't judge me , when I haven't done anything wrong

so now you call it sport! They might be vermin, but we don't get into pigeon shooting for vermin control, we do it because we love the sport and being in the countryside. If you worked for a pest control firm, and was getting paid for it , fair enough, but your not!

I don't give shooting a bad name , wot I do is vermin control, the farmer would be well pxxxxx if I ruin his crops, like I said I pick up when it's safe not to ruin crops ,the ones I pick up or my dogs pick up get thrown away correctly ,if any ones giving the shooting a bad name its you

I hope you're not being serious. If you are, please give up pigeon shooting.

so now you call it sport! They might be vermin, but we don't get into pigeon shooting for vermin control, we do it because we love the sport and being in the countryside. If you worked for a pest control firm, and was getting paid for it , fair enough, but your not!

you called it a sport , isaid vermin control ,last I'll say on this cause looks as if a couple on here are out for a argument , I have my views and the farmers are more than happy , thing is you think your right I know I'm right xxx

If a farmer is that desperate for someone to shoot over standing cereals, he should have the decency to allow whoever is shooting to have a thorough search for birds with a dog.I hate leaving just one bird where I think I can pick it. Leaving EVERYTHING that is shot goes against all that I was shown when growing up. I hate waste like this.

you called it a sport , isaid vermin control ,last I'll say on this cause looks as if a couple on here are out for a argument , I have my views and the farmers are more than happy , thing is you think your right I know I'm right xxx

You are so wrong it is unreal!!

that told me ! Here's a couple of kisses for you too. XX

Its hard to judge people on the internet , but how old are you , you come across as about 11 or 12 , your dad really should not be letting you play with his guns !

Its hard to judge people on the internet , but how old are you , you come across as about 11 or 12 , your dad really should not be letting you play with his guns !

don't bring my dad in to this I take that as a bad insult ,he died a few years back and I was very close , so the best thing you can do is be quiet