To pick or not to pick that is the question?

plitts

Been out over small patches of laid barley this weekend, but finding the blighters once dead in the barley has proved a challenge without wrecking the standing barley.

What is the consensus... Pick up the dead ones and trash the barley..... Or leave them for the foxes?

The fields are high and you couldn't even walk the tramlines.

Farmer wants the pigeons gone, but I don't want to annoy him by stamping all over trying to find mr pigeon under 3 feet high barley.

Tried to drop them on the laid stuff, but that is not so easy.

???????

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same problem today on the crows..yet couldnt get to the laid patches as in middle of field...so set up along the edge with the crow decoys raised up on sticks in the tram lines and a flapper and bouncer...we just leave them where they fall..farmer wonts them shot and kept moveing off his crop...youll end up doing more damage trying to find them...

I'm with Kent - ask the landowner what he wants to do.

Personally, I'll leave them - unless it's an easy pick for a dog. They seem to do much less damage than size 12 wellies :yes:

Leaving the pigeons is a total waste.

Leaving the pigeons is a total waste.

It is and seriously goes against respect for our quarry, but we need to remember the primary reason we're there in the first place. And that is to protect the crop and kill as many pigeons as we can. Another one of our infamous double standards.

My boss went out friday shooting what was said as layed barley in a very good pigeon area. With a si of jealousy i said take plenty of cartridges. At 4 oclock i rang him he was on 238 and still shooting. I rang at 7 he was packed up. He had clicked and killed 325. I asked howd picking them go. He picked up 150. He spoke with landowner befor i rang. He said as much as i dont like the fort of leaving a food source there u have to understand that u have shoot 300+ there still coming and uve packed up, just think of the damage this ammount of birds has been doing. Anyhelp i am greatfull of. As much as i disagree i can see his point.

Personally I would not shoot where I could not pick. Pigeon shooting is the main reason I have a dog as he can retrieve in standing corn without making too much mess. But what ever choice you take should be by mutual agreement with the farmer. If a farmer was keen for me to shoot a field of peas now I would try to find a field edge where I could intercept a flightline rather than drop birds I could not retrieve without destroying the crop.

With the wind in my favour last year I managed to decoy pigeons along a tramline on the field margin with nearly all birds shot along the hedgerow or within 1-2ft of the first tramline.

You would be better driving around the farm letting off shots to move the birds on. I shoot to put birds on the table, not being able to pick up something I have killed, for me is a waste and gutting. Everone of those 325 birds would have been used.

Wife does a beautiful pigeon pie.

I go along with most of the posts on the subject of leaving pigeons , I wouldn't do it , I get as much pleasure as watching my dog retrieving as I do shooting, even when I pack up if I had seen any drop out or were hit and made there way to a tree I feel its my duty to go and have a look and see if I can find them, as far as damage to the crop goes , the fields I have been on lately are all ready badly damaged so with me shooting pigeons my dog isn't really doing too much harm and the farmer is more than happy with me retrieving dead and wounded pigeons from the crop.

As I said on one of the other threads on this topic .

There is a moral and indeed legal reason not to cause uneccasary suffering to the quarry , chances are your not just dropping dead birds into the crop but winged / pricked ones too , by leaving them to die a slow death without attempting to pick them, then you are causing suffering and as such could be in a tricky position if the wrong person sees whats going on .

For me if I cant pick , I dont shoot.

As I said on one of the other threads on this topic .

There is a moral and indeed legal reason not to cause uneccasary suffering to the quarry , chances are your not just dropping dead birds into the crop but winged / pricked ones too , by leaving them to die a slow death without attempting to pick them, then you are causing suffering and as such could be in a tricky position if the wrong person sees whats going on .

For me if I cant pick , I dont shoot.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/253609-what-a-difference-a-day-makes/

This is a good example......

TEH

It is and seriously goes against respect for our quarry, but we need to remember the primary reason we're there in the first place. And that is to protect the crop and kill as many pigeons as we can. Another one of our infamous double standards.

so if you shot on a stubble with a big bag on the cards, and you knew you couldn't get rid of the dead birds, would you keep on shooting them?

Not double standards for me. I was out shooting with Fenboy yesterday. We both let pigeons go past unshot that would have more than likely been un-pickable in standing wheat.

so if you shot on a stubble with a big bag on the cards, and you knew you couldn't get rid of the dead birds, would you keep on shooting them?

No!!

The question is how hard are people are prepared to not let them go to waste? I have to do a 50 mile round trip to the game dealers. Just about covers the fuel. But I am happy as they end upon someones table. Smaller quantities are friends, clients and the dog. The same goes for the cost of running the freezer to keep them in. Its part of the shooting invoice.

All this chat about pest control is rollocks. We do it because we enjoy it. I personally can't bear the posts we are about to get with laid cereals............shot 140 picked 60 :no: IMHO there are a lot of shots that just kill for the sake of it, and hide behind the pest control banner to save their conscience :yes:

No!!

The question is how hard are people are prepared to not let them go to waste? I have to do a 50 mile round trip to the game dealers. Just about covers the fuel. But I am happy as they end upon someones table. Smaller quantities are friends, clients and the dog. The same goes for the cost of running the freezer to keep them in. Its part of the shooting invoice.

All this chat about pest control is rollocks. We do it because we enjoy it. I personally can't bear the posts we are about to get with laid cereals............shot 140 picked 60 :no: IMHO there are a lot of shots that just kill for the sake of it, and hide behind the pest control banner to save their conscience :yes:

. If I shot 140 and picked 60 I'd pack up shooting pigeons!

No!!

All this chat about pest control is rollocks. We do it because we enjoy it. I personally can't bear the posts we are about to get with laid cereals............shot 140 picked 60 :no:IMHO there are a lot of shots that just kill for the sake of it, and hide behind the pest control banner to save their conscience :yes:

I think you are spot on there .

Hi Berettacocker. The debate was shooting over standing crops where picking the birds would cause more damage than the birds. If over stubble I would hope to pick them all. I always seem to find an outlet for all birds shot, there never wasted, however I have never had a 200 / 300 day so that may be a problem for me.

I'm lucky enough that one of the farmers on 1 of my permissions buys all my cartridges and bullets but I wouldn't shoot pigeons if I knew I couldn't pick them it seems a total waste to me. Shooting things and just leaving them laying dead is just the ammo the antis need to make our sport look bad, everyone to there own but I wouldn't do it personally.

Not double standards for me. I was out shooting with Fenboy yesterday. We both let pigeons go past unshot that would have more than likely been un-pickable in standing wheat.

Hi Motty. The point I was making Is, that if you are carrying out true crop protection, I don't mean doing it for sport under the guise of crop protection (I'm sure no one on this forum does that) Then we would be expected to kill pigeons. And for me anyway I'm not under any illusions. It is double standards.