Pole climbing

Not shooting related but I had a go at the pole racing at woodfest this weekend. I climb most days at work but this really killed me. Probibally not the best idea getting drunk the night before. Did pants score wise but here's my footage.

Appolagise in advance for the language.

That looks like darned hard work Phil, rather you than me! :yes: Even so well done mate, it made for interesting viewing! :good:

Maybe you should have spent more time out in the field watching the squirrels and learning how they manage to climb trees and poles so easily and quickly! :lol::lol::lol:

Well done, looks far higher than 80ft, just shows u takes a big tree to be a 100ft'r as thoose poles are high.

Was going to ask the hieght of the pole and ur spike type.

Where u racing against the other pole?

Do u not get proper pole racing spkles that fit on ur toes? Seen the pro boys do it a couple of times bloody impressive.

Mind a long time ago at RHS they got big Doddie weir to go up (think he was a sru flanker/forward back in late 90's) by hell the pole had some swing on it when he got to the top, took him a while and he was knackered by time he got up.

You can get racing spikes which are on your toes, but it entered the working category just using my tree spikes. Yes it was a competition the reason I was on my own in the last race is because it was odd numbers.

As for being a young mans game on the form if your 30 or over you are in the senior category. Lol missed it by a week as I'm 30 on Monday.

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Is that the competion size then?

They had a big forestry show near us years ago and can mind the poles arriving and sat at the field side for ages, fair lumps of wood

I've got a big cyprus/lleyandi tottem pole at the back of my house the now and it takes me a lot longer than that to get up it, and there is some sway when u get to the top. I estimated it was 80ish ft but prob more like 60 after seeing ur clip

Some of the other lumberjack sport events they do are quite good to watch too, going at big logs with a cross cut or razor sharp axe, or the 1 where they put boards in to climb the trees.

Out of interest wot was the times for the working class? 9 secs is really going some but no one could do that with ur working spikes.

Was it a special racing strop or harness u use? Noticed u never tightened it but guessing u just took all the weight/tension on ur arms

That is impressive, infact probably more impressive than the 9 with racing spikes. Well done all the same thou. Is there any/much prize money althou i would imagine the bragging right of beating ur mates would be more important

Are these boys pro's or atleast have there own poles to train at it?

Well done phil. It's hard work on spikes and I guess the poles are more like hedgehogs after all the use they get. Since they introduced the full body harness and pole choke climbing is far harder. Give me free climbing any day. At least you had a good size pole that's not like a matchstick at the top. Do your tree spikes have longer gaffs than linesman's ??? The next pw challenge could be do this lol

Well done phil. It's hard work on spikes and I guess the poles are more like hedgehogs after all the use they get. Since they introduced the full body harness and pole choke climbing is far harder. Give me free climbing any day. At least you had a good size pole that's not like a matchstick at the top. Do your tree spikes have longer gaffs than linesman's ??? The next pw challenge could be do this lol

If it was my money would not be on you Graham , you would stop half way up for a fag :lol: