Wanless shotgun makers, Sunderland & South Shields - any informati

jgguinness

Evening all

I've just purchased a Wanless 12 gauge SBS, ejector (by sellers description) and it's on its way to my RFD as we speak. Can't wait. It's serial number is 1203, so pretty low. Text on the rib reads, as far as I have been told, W.M Wanless makers of Sunderland and South Shields.

From the pics sent by the seller it is a bit of a project, not totally knackered, but I would like to make it mint.

My father bought a Wanless BLNE SBS earlier this year, text on the rib reads Wanless of Stockton on Tees. His is a much higher serial number, 71???

Bought them as Wanless was a very local gunmaker to us, and it's nice to have some local history.

I know they were based here around 1900, moved to Stockton I think around 1918.

Does anyone have any further information please?

Anything would be great.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Edited by jgguinness

Thanks for the HV. I hope the serial number is correct. It was listed as that in the advert, and was told the same over the phone.

I will post some pics up of what I was sent.

Nothing special really, stock needs work and will get the barrels reblackened and hopefully it will make a tidy local piece. From the land I shoot you could probably see where it was made, and last year the farmer found a cartridge base that is/was an old Wanless cartridge.

6405e45fc114de2ca86fc7e3c66009bd.jpg

352e5ca739334a8e7bf6c54d9c0a03d5.jpg

b507164ed0ed651227c01d7b4f46dc4d.jpg

4c7387e720289396448be8cdb833457b.jpg

Edited by jgguinness

Found this as an extract on another forum, so maybe it's pre 1909.

According to Boothroyd's:

"Wanless & Co., Sunderland

20 Norfolk St., Sunderland, in business 1908. 96 High St. Stockton-on-Tees

1897=1900 William Wanless, 22 Thomas St., Sunderland. In 1901 moved to 20 Norfolk St. 1903, Wanless Bros. William & Thomas

1909 WW moved house to Stockton

1929 Wanless Bros. had shop at High St. Stockton

• 9 years later...

Hi folks,

I was lucky enough to pick up a Wanless bros 12 bore sidelock from the recent online auction at Holt's. Circa 1915, 30" nitro proof barrels in what appears to be amazing condition for a gun that is 108 years old. Barrel blacking is still very good and timber is in reasonable condition although a bit short for me. Apparently I was the only one to place a bid at a price I'm too embarrassed to say.  Obviously I'm over the moon and can't wait to frighten some clays.

Warm regards

The Wanless Bros  where a well known  gun maker business of the North-East 

1897 William  at 22 Thomas  Street  Sunderland 

1901/02 Wanless Bros   12 Norfolk Street  Sunderland 

1902-to 1910  20 Norfolk Street Sunderland

1902 Russel Street South Shields

1906  66 ocean parade South Shields

1905-10 Wanless Bros  Priest gate Darlington

1910-21  12 Waterloo Place South Shields

1910 7 Bridge Street Stockton On Tees

1934 22 Vine Place South Shields 

1933-34 12 Church Street  West Hartlepool

They had several shop going at the same time  they not only made guns but also retailed Birmingham and Belgian made guns known has  farmers and also keeper guns to well made hammerless  side lock guns . A mention must also be made to their made brands of cartridges that they were  also well known 

Feltwad

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what did Wanless consider was a Rook & Rabbit rifle.....the usual or some sort of obselite calibre ?

The first rook and rabbit rifles fired .295" calibre bullets, subsequently a number of cartridges were developed for this purpose ranging in calibre from .22" to .38" 

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The first rook and rabbit rifles fired .295" calibre bullets, subsequently a number of cartridges were developed for this purpose ranging in calibre from .22" to .38" 

aahhh .....interesting :good:

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Years ago I remember going with a keeper to shoot rooks in a big wood with a .22 rim fire, we must have used about 100 bullets and never even give any thought of where the bullets were ending up. :oops: