F.A.C Air, 22lr or .17HMR?

Danoi99

Just put your application in and stop worrying. If you have a need for the rifle, the land is suitable and you're not a nutter you will be ok. I had .22 and .17hmr first time and I see no reason why other people shouldn't.

If you're applying for a 308 first time then chances are it's going to be a no but all this rubbish about FAC air first then rimmies is a load of ************

What a load of defeatist piffle, grow some balls and ask for what you need!

If you can't afford it try another hobby, this is about what you consider you need to get the job done, not how deep your pockets are!

Of course some of us like to buy good rifles highest quality ammo and great glass, others well?. Its not case of the above its about not underestimating the enemy and knowing their motivation. You can find many references on here to what has been going on

Of course some of us like to buy good rifles highest quality ammo and great glass, others well?. Its not case of the above its about not underestimating the enemy and knowing their motivation. You can find many references on here to what has been going on

So, you advocate rolling over and getting shafted.

You can also find many references on here to people getting centrefires first grant!

......... grow some balls and ask for what you need!

You can also find many references on here to people getting centrefires first grant!

You are correct dekers, I know of a guy who applied for a .22lr for his first firearms license and when he had his visit from the FLO explained his need for a centrefire for foxes and was told not a problem!

Quite correct Dekers....I got 243 on first application.... He wasn't keen and tried talking me out of it, but I told him I needed it for foxes and deer that would become a problem on my permission!! I also reminded him it was their own rules and law that minimum calibre for deer and foxes was 243 so he had no choice but to grant me CF on first app!!

No your missing the point while looking for argument! If you want a .243 say, ask for one don't put a .22 rf down also to save £26 or it gives them entry to "we will grant you a .22 for now till you gain experience". A .22 to use this example does not meet the criteria for deer if the application was for that - SO JUST PUT 243 ! Once you have your .243 deer rifle send in a variation for a .22 rf - they cant say no if they already gave you a .243 provided you have Good reason! are they going to say use your .243 on bunnies - No! Its like chess not a pub brawl

Its the same argument and the same as asking for FAC air and .22 lr (both satisfy rabbit "good reason") guess what the cops are going to do! Yep "here you go we are giving you your fac for an airgun, gain some experience and you can perhaps add the .22 LR later!"

Instead get the bigger gun as the only ask and then a variation for the airgun, Good reason then being smaller land or shooting during times of higher ricochet risk etc. One decision (do we grant this?) it wont even touch the FEOS desk but just get passed up the line for signing off!

Pick you battles and don't give them an easy victory from not thinking things through tactically, anyone who has been married more than a few years should be pretty good at this way of getting your own way!

Edited by kent

Why not ask for them all anyway if you can show the need?!

Which part of that did you fail to understand in my #22?

Let me explain as it is commonly known that comprehension is not your strong point, a 12ftlb, .22lr, HMR, WMR (God forbid even that 17mk2) centrefires of various descriptions ALL fulfil a need for rabbit in different situations, IF you can demonstrate a need, now that will be harder in some cases than others, but the DIFFERENCE in need for FAC Air/.22lr/HMR for rabbit can easily be demonstrated on various sites, different locations on any site, distance, etc.

Therefore.......

Why not ask for them all anyway if you can show the need?!

Edited by Dekers

If you have permission on three farms it's unlikely you will get refused. 22lr and that's what I personally would go for. If you feel fac air is up to the job and.17 hmr would be advantageous at times then the 22lr with the vast array of ammo for it would bridge the gap. With rounds like cb long at 30ftp (not that Accurate) to cci velocitors and other hyper velocity rounds you should be more than covered for your needs. As others have said air in general is far more expensive in both rifles and hassle/charging equipment. As Kent said it's not the world's number one hunting weapon of choice for nothing.

Edited by merseapaul

What might be an idea is get together with one or two people who have the calibres you are interested in and see them in action. Have them shoot with you on your land so you can get some real life experience on that actual ground and make your own mind up.

Some love .22lr others hate it, the same goes for HMR and FAC air is usually seen as very niche or very adaptable.

Lots of good insight here, thanks guys. I'm lucky to have a good FEO here in South Gloucestershire area and he knows the local area well. I will probably look at the 22lr angle a bit more cuz it suits my needs and is affordable.

Thanks for all the advice.