flat shooting

dob

this has probably been done 1000 times but can anyone give me a definative answer on the distance a .17 hmr round will shoot flat before it starts to drop, i have heard everything from 100yds to 200yds+.i thought it was about 140 - 150 .

Thanks chaps.

Nothing shoots flat once it leaves the barrel its dropping. That said zeroed at say 100 yards the bullet will start low of point of aim equal to scope to barrel centre size as measured (normal 1.5" ish) pass through Point of aim (POA) at about 30 odd yards, peak over trajectory at about 80 yards 3/4" high and then pass through the zero (POA) at said 100 yards were it will continue to drop being say 1 1/2" low about 140 yards and further the more you push out the range the quicker that curve of fall becomes as the bullet gets slower and slower. Shoot said gun at 30 then 100 yards and it appears flat but its not only the line of sight is flat. Zero at 200 yards and likewise it might appear flat to that range but there will be a big whopping peak trajectory over the line of sight (POA will be useless for much of the distance other than when the bullet reaches through it at shorter range and drops back down at 200)

Pls excuse my rough figures its been about 4 yrs? from when I last used a HMR and this is just for rough example but near enough for your purpose.

surely it starts climbing otherwise it would never cross the line of sight of the scope......unless shooting downhill I suppose :lol:

just messing

lol yeah but is that not due to the line of sight being straight but the bullet being shot very slightly up through the line of sight i think ?????

colin