look what was in my field

djgeoff

There was a chap from Coventry area selling domestic white rheas on a Poultry Forum about 2 years ago..

Possibly your answer..they are flightless so its obviously walked in from somewhere reasonably locally.

The domestic birds are quite docile so its feasible a reasonably sized dog could kill one.

thats it mate but the one i saw was hell of a lot bigger, you could be on the right lines re breeder because i ve just been informed some one local had some and left area releasing them i presume

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok top marks for all those that got white rheas. ive been in touch with local wildlife sanctuary and they wish to rescue this bird, with permission of farmer to go onto his land.

chap also informed me its a good job we did not get to close, these things have claws on rear of foot that can rip your stomach open when they kick you.the last one they rescued and took to twycross took 4 people to capture it safely

thanks all

the things you see in the field!

oh yeh and i got 65 pigeon 1 crow

Edited by djgeoff

right some more info 4 you mate rang farmer to let him know, apparently farmer said yeh there were 3 two were killed by dogs one left.

this one came within 20yrds of mate in his decoy pattern , shot gun did not flinch this bird it just strolled by, it did not have yellow beak

obviously mate did not shoot at it

If three of them got killed then he must have the bodies dogs would net have eaten three gert big uns like that would they so you should be able to take some pics of there bodies or as the farmer already got them cut up and in the freezer.

If three of them got killed then he must have the bodies dogs would net have eaten three gert big uns like that would they so you should be able to take some pics of there bodies or as the farmer already got them cut up and in the freezer.

these poss dog attacks could have been some time ago, sanctuary poss large foxes i dont know i am only repeating what was said to me , wonder do foxes hunt as a pack would they kill such a large bird.

any way its the one still alive is the issue

Mmm barbecued Rhea, nice,best get yourself some turkey chokes and cartridges. A leg you need to hold two handed would take some eating.

Imagine trying to cover the bird with bacon to keep it moist in the oven :lol: full pig needed to wrap it.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

There was an "emu" running around Claverdon/Lowsonford /Preston Bagot for years, we actually saw it on a couple of occasions. Am told it was a Rhea, apparently kept by a local travelling fair. Certainly we saw some pretty exotic stuff including elephants, llamas, possibly a giraffe, in pens in the fields behind Lowsonford. This would be thirty-odd years ago, the rhea was seen twenty years ago, bolting across the land by Preston Bagot church. Not sure what happened to it.

I regret to say it but rheally don't think its a her on the contrary it its a him, a male..... you can tell by the pale magnolia emulsion colour. Quite tasty ! I've had Crane in butter (not stork) but it was rather bittern, as explained in my post rich. I tried to paint one once and it terned on me ...dangerous enough to make even Piccaso wary