Rimfire Zero and Ammo Test

Good evening gents, I hope you've all had a good day.

I had a good look round today for a few pigeons but we've had zip all wind.

Time i checked out the zero on the rimfires as i haven't been out after bunny for a while and next week is a goer. So here goes:

I'm no target shooter. I used to like crawling around on the ground. These days i like to use a stick and a seat when not shooting from the motor. Not as accurate IMHO but results are good.

Here's the "test" set up. Basic isn't it?

All the ranges quoted on the targets are measured distances and not my guesswork.

brigg4.jpg

I nicked a little table from the missus's BBQ set up which is pretty darn handy.

brigg2.jpg

I decided to start with the .22 my main bunny gun.

brigg3.jpg

I wanted to test / try various ammo.

brigg1.jpg

Bottom left Remington CBees Top Left and Middle RWS HP Subs Top Right SK HP Subs Bottom Right RWS HP High Velocity

Now for some results:

First up RWS Hp Subs:

briggs7.jpg :

Now for the good old Winny's

brigg6.jpg

Sk's shoot pretty good.

brigg11.jpg

I like to carry a low powered round. My God if you look at Rem CBees you would wonder how they ever get to the target, really poorly made. I like 'em for close rabbits.

brigg10.jpg

brigg5.jpg

All well and good. Now let's let the hummer out of the sleeve.

brigg8.jpg

Then some ammo and spare mag.

brigg9.jpg

Top Hornady V-Max 17g Middle Winchester 17g Bottom CCI Gamepoint 20g

brigg12.jpg

I shot the last three remaining rounds from different batch at the bottom left target.

So all is well. I'm happy enough.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Edited by Whitebridges

Nigel,

What is the size of the black area on your targets? I really should do the same and buy a few boxes to see which ones suits my Annie LR, I am just a lazy *** and normally buy a brick at one time. Up until now I have been using winnie (black box) and cant say they are too bad. I have still not bought my Annie HMR yet (just in the process of buying a new motor bike so my mind has been concentrating on that at this time) but when I do I will try and do the same with some HMR ammo. I have not long got my FAC back after getting the variation done so will have a look at a new one at the end of this month. Do you know if Chris has a few different HMR ammo in stock?

Nigel,

What is the size of the black area on your targets? I really should do the same and buy a few boxes to see which ones suits my Annie LR, I am just a lazy *** and normally buy a brick at one time. Up until now I have been using winnie (black box) and cant say they are too bad. I have still not bought my Annie HMR yet (just in the process of buying a new motor bike so my mind has been concentrating on that at this time) but when I do I will try and do the same with some HMR ammo. I have not long got my FAC back after getting the variation done so will have a look at a new one at the end of this month. Do you know if Chris has a few different HMR ammo in stock?

Yo Jimmy, The large center black is two and a quarter inch. The Birchwood casey is two inch.

If you would like to try some different stuff you can always try some of mine. Most dealers in Norfolk restrict themselves a a few different sorts. If it helps I can advise of all the suppliers.

Chris stocks Hornady and Winchester HMR last time i looked in.

Enjoy the bike mate!

Edited by Whitebridges

100 Yards with the 17 hmr using 17g hornady.
The 22 at 50 yards using cci subs, i didn't see a lot of difference between the rws,cci and eley subs. didn't like winchesters though.

Your hummer looks spot on diddy.

I've used Eley subs quite a bit in the past but they are like rocking horse pooh to get hold of around here. Winny's hit hard but loose a little a little accuracy in my gun. See pictures above.

Please don't take this as criticism of you or your shooting, its not at all.

But, i would be seriously worried if I I got groups like that at 50-60yds from any ammo

I appreciate sitting on a tripod will have affected the results a bit but I recently did an identical test following a scope failure

I ran 5 kind of ammo through the Sako at around 50yds off the top of the car

any .22 should be able to fill a shoot'n'see sticker at this range otherwise it is marginal for quarry

bottom right is a walk on zero followed by the remaining shots in the mag

bottom right is actually two groups of 4 and 5 after a scope adjustment

IMG_1670_zpsd45e5025.jpg

use a car, table, the deck, or something more stable to see what the groups really look like

I have even done shoots like this off quad stick leaning back into a tree. very stable

Please don't take this as criticism of you or your shooting, its not at all.

But, i would be seriously worried if I I got groups like that at 50-60yds from any ammo

I appreciate sitting on a tripod will have affected the results a bit but I recently did an identical test following a scope failure

I ran 5 kind of ammo through the Sako at around 50yds off the top of the car

any .22 should be able to fill a shoot'n'see sticker at this range otherwise it is marginal for quarry

bottom right is a walk on zero followed by the remaining shots in the mag

bottom right is actually two groups of 4 and 5 after a scope adjustment

use a car, table, the deck, or something more stable to see what the groups really look like

I have even done shoots like this off quad stick leaning back into a tree. very stable

Absolutely no offence taken Bewsher. Thanks for your reply. Your groups are nice. :good:

I shot from 65 yrds with subs bar the CBees. The wind did get up and was gusting pretty hard in between showers. Sounds like an excuse it isn't meant to be.

I have shot a lot lot better prone when i can get clover leaf groups but as you can see the land i was on was rather mucky and there's a lot of rubbish in the way plus I didn't take a mat.

I also get really good groups off the window on a cushion from the truck. It just gets a bit cramped for room inside for exercises such as this.

I seem to get on better with sticks when I'm standing up and as you say propped up against something.

I must agree, I think this is a great post. Its always nice to see what everyone and their equipment are capable of.

When I get my FAC in 4,000,000,000,000,000 years time from the highly efficient Essex department I will have a go.

ATB

Ed

Sorry typo its actually 25,000,000,000,000,000 years time.

Nice post thanks for sharing.

A pleasure. I just thought it was worth a post and might generate a bit more "shooting" discussion. I'm thick skinned!

I must agree, I think this is a great post. Its always nice to see what everyone and their equipment are capable of.

When I get my FAC in 4,000,000,000,000,000 years time from the highly efficient Essex department I will have a go.

ATB

Ed

There is no reason why you can't get a FAC. Join a club shooting rimfire is a good start they say. I guess i'm lucky in that I haven't had to go this route. I know guys that started this way and things evolve.

Another day i'll get down on the grass and tighten those groups up a bit :lol:

ATB

Ed

Have you given them a bell. It may be they have passed it to your FEO. In that case phone him/her and sort out your visit.

I know they are having problems, what with moving offices, losing people, big backlog of forms to deal with etc. I have to say I have had no probs with them.

• 1 month later...

Interesting post, thanks for that. I've found .22 SK's to be very accurate in my Annie. I haven't managed to find any brand of hmr ammo that I'd consider not to be accurate in my .17 magnum, the .22s though are very different in that respect IMO. Thanks for sharing.

If the 17HMR is also Anschutz, have you tried the Remingtons?

If the 17HMR is also Anschutz, have you tried the Remingtons?

I've got to say Phil, I have tried them in a brand new CZ some years ago and I'd forgotten, but I recall that I wasn't impressed. At the time I put it down to running in a new barrel, wrongly or rightly, I don't know? Never tried them since though. I haven't had any accuracy issues with any other brands I've tried though. How do you find them Phil?

I've got to say Phil, I have tried them in a brand new CZ some years ago and I'd forgotten, but I recall that I wasn't impressed. At the time I put it down to running in a new barrel, wrongly or rightly, I don't know? Never tried them since though. I haven't had any accuracy issues with any other brands I've tried though. How do you find them Phil?

I think I'm right in saying that they now make their own. So far I've only had one split neck and the other few hundred I have I've checked and all is well. I did the usual routine when I got my rifle and they were the best by a Devon mile. Trouble is, they're also the most expensive but I can live with that. My oppo soon cottoned on to the fact that the HMR is well suited to our shooting and also has just bought an Anschutz. Sod's Law, in his the Hornady perform better so as ever, it's barrel dependent.