opinion please

brook

Don't worry it won't be long till you see loads of semi autos on game shoots as is the norm on mainland Europe. Over & unders were once frowned upon.

Some people have no choice but to shoot an auto due to recoil issue seen this on a driven day.

Figgy

standing on a peg, in a hide, flighting duck etc -safe enough BUT rough shooting over cleared woodland/stumps etc and the best place for them is in the gun slip IMO. Ive seen too many camo kids with semi autos turn up as guests and before a shot is fired you get syndicate members uneasy especially if they end up next to them in the beating line.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should buy whatever your happy with.game shooting is steeped in tradition if you get an invite to join a game day but do not get a second invitation then you can almost be certain that they do not appreciate autos.sxs is the standard o/u is the modern way and in my view acceptable. The semi is fine in a hide the rest of the time they should just be hidden.enjoy your gun and your shooting whichever way you decide.

Edited by bostonmick

All great info the safety issue with U/O and semi is rubbish in my eyes as long as the user is competent in that weapon system then neither one is safer and it's user error that causes accidents.

id disagree with you whole heartedly- if you are beating on icy/snowy/slippy rough ground and you look to the guy beside you in the line and he has a sxs or o/u and its broken (sometimes carts taken out for good measure) you know that if he falls then the gun aint going to go bang and shoot you or someone else. Same situation and semi auto in hand- you don't know if its empty or has one in the chamber do you? Too many folk take too many risks- as I said earlier, best place for a semi auto in this situation is in the slip and if a bird gos back then c`est la vie or the guys beside get a shot off

I must just be my job role and my normal as to me if it's loaded with safety catch on finger on the outside of the trigger guard then I don't see a problem but I understand people are different in how they feel about weapons

I must just be my job role and my normal as to me if it's loaded with safety catch on finger on the outside of the trigger guard then I don't see a problem but I understand people are different in how they feel about weapons

the safety is no guarantee that the gun will not fire.

I've not seen many safety seeres or trigger bars break making the weapon fire it's a possibility just a very small one. I think from what I've read and heard from people is as they are not the traditional gun of choose as seen in most hunting photos every body is used to the snap barrel models I would love to see hard evidence of semis been less safe

I've not seen many safety seeres or trigger bars break making the weapon fire it's a possibility just a very small one. I think from what I've read and heard from people is as they are not the traditional gun of choose as seen in most hunting photos every body is used to the snap barrel models I would love to see hard evidence of semis been less safe

I don't think anyone is claiming semis are anymore safe or unsafe than any other type of mechanism, just that they cannot always readily be easily seen to be safe. A broken double barrel gun can be seen to be safe, but unless an auto or pump has a breech flag apparent, it's not easily regarded as safe.

Putting your faith entirely in a safety is a dangerous ploy, no matter what mechanism it's attached to.

Have a look next time at a shoot and see how many people know how to remove from and replace a gun in its slip without sweeping those muzzles through everyone at waist height and often higher as they struggle to do up the zip. Most of them will have o/u's, but they're no more safe than the next bloke with his auto. At least with a breech flag you can see the auto is empty. Muzzle awareness is everything.

Edited by Scully

The other benefit of a semi of course is the flexibility of use. My Browning multi choke is capable of handling any type of shotgun shooting from Wildfowling with 3.5inch carts and magnum steel loads to Clay shooting and everything in between. That's as I have said before it gets used more than any other gun in my cabinet. I would not use it on a driven day, but only because of the tradition factor, but then I wouldn't use my OU either. I would use a side by side.

I think scully has hit the nail on the head so no more safety talk haha as you can see I've decided a semi it is for me I like the Beretta so going down to churchils tomorrow to see if any fit me.i couldn't believe how cheap the baikal U/O are going for so I might even try pick one up cheap I think I could get both for around 550-600

I am pretty set on a semi I don't really see why you would have a U/O but every one to there own I just think the semis are a better all round rough gun

Yet most do, what shooting experience do you have? Semi particularly a cheap one isnt a great first gun. Much better IMO with a lanber OU or similar

I have experience in a vast array of weapons from 5.56 rifles to javelin missiles but not much on shot guns apart from the benelli semi we get issued great fun:)

Don't use the missiles on the clay ground you will get banned and they tend to mash the pheasants up a bit. Might be worth trying them on foxes, saves taking them to the farm for disposal. :)

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Hi everyone new to the forum and currently looking for my first shotgun but I have read so much about different makes,models and the different mechanism types so I'm looking from abit of info from all of you. Now I only want the gun for odd day or afternoon to shoot pigeon and so on so I won't be spending a lot around £400 so would be looking at second hand guns. I have been looking at semi autos as I think having the extra shell ready gives you that bit extra over your normal O/U so if you could leave your thoughts on this it would be great. Thanks liam

if you are looking for a 1st shotgun..and not gun savvy.then an auto is not for you....auto's are dangerous in hands that have had them for years....and they are not a very friendly gun to shoot with other people who dont know you...........most people who have them are unable to do a complete stripdown of them.....

having said that i have an auto....im not saying you shouldnt have an auto....but NOT as a first gun......get yourself a Baikel first and learn about auto's...there are many different ones on the market...then when you are "sussed" up...and you are still desperate for an auto then get one knowing you have the knowledge....

I have experience in a vast array of weapons from 5.56 rifles to javelin missiles but not much on shot guns apart from the benelli semi we get issued great fun:)

So if you have experience with Benelli semi you should know exactly what auto's are like. I also think that if you have been using them in the situation I think then you have probably been using very heavy carts and is nothing like what you will be firing out in the field. You have been given some good advice from many people here and should forget your vast array of weapon knowledge as unless you are using a centre fire, 5.56 has absolutely nothing in comparison to sporting shot gun and Javelin, well once again I bet lots of people have used such "weapons" (as you continue to call shot guns) on this forum and realise that sporting shot gun shooting is miles apart from any Military weapon use.

You have made your mind up without even trying the array of shot guns that are available to you, you have been advised on the pro's and cons, it is now up to you to get out and find what suits. I will however guarantee you that you will eventually think back to this thread and realise you could have saved yourself a bit of money buy paying attentions to the advice you have been given :good: . Whatever you do decide to get, I hope you enjoy using it. :yes:

Sorry, this is not only very condescending , but none of it makes much sense either, I'm afraid.

if you are looking for a 1st shotgun..and not gun savvy.then an auto is not for you....The OP is 'gun savvy' as apparently he's been using a Benelli.

auto's are dangerous in hands that have had them for years....​I have no idea where you have got this information from. If true then that is surely entirely the fault of the owner and not the firearm. Autos in both shotgun, pistol and rifle spec' have been in common use worldwide for nigh on a hundred years, and in some cases longer.

and they are not a very friendly gun to shoot with other people who dont know you...........Why?

most people who have them are unable to do a complete stripdown of them.....Really? Is this just your opinion or do you actually know?

having said that i have an auto....I'm assuming none of the above applies to you though ! im not saying you shouldnt have an auto....but NOT as a first gun......get yourself a Baikel first and learn about auto's...Nothing against Baikal, but how will buying a Baikal teach him anyone anything about auto's? there are many different ones on the market...then when you are "sussed" up...and you are still desperate for an auto then get one knowing you have the knowledge....

So if you have experience with Benelli semi you should know exactly what auto's are like. Not really as you state lower down in your comment we use them for putting doors down and point man on patrol if you mean I should know how to use safely and maintain then yes. Rifles and shotguns are totally different well done I don't see me saying they have any similarities just one final point I don't think they will have been many javelins fired so very few will have fired such weapon in fact :)

So if you have experience with Benelli semi you should know exactly what auto's are like. Not really as you state lower down in your comment we use them for putting doors down and point man on patrol if you mean I should know how to use safely and maintain then yes. Rifles and shotguns are totally different well done I don't see me saying they have any similarities just one final point I don't think they will have been many javelins fired so very few will have fired such weapon in fact :)

Well said brook. All you did was ask for some advise. Bet you never expected all this!!

Welcome to PW

im not going to "explain" my post...but if you think im condescending...then i apologise...it was not meant to sound that way....i just cant see the point of jumping in to pigeon shooting with an auto....there is a lot more to pigeonshooting than guns.....like sitting quietly for hours on end not even seeing a bird...so you are sitting there with "load once and fire the rest of the day gun".......bit of a waste ?

get out with someone first and see what it is really like....then you can really make an imformed decision............

im not going to "explain" my post...but if you think im condescending...then i apologise...it was not meant to sound that way....i just cant see the point of jumping in to pigeon shooting with an auto....there is a lot more to pigeonshooting than guns.....like sitting quietly for hours on end not even seeing a bird...so you are sitting there with "load once and fire the rest of the day gun".......bit of a waste ?

get out with someone first and see what it is really like....then you can really make an imformed decision............

You are right of course about being more to pigeon shooting than the gun, but there will be a lot of guys on here that do use a semi for Pigeon shooting.