Gamekeeper found guilty

marsh man

So what exactly are you saying? I'm a bit confused.

I'm saying yes he done wrong as he admitted but if he did not do as wrong as what's being made to believe was the sentence unjust? If you take the 9 common buzzards that were in the sack out the equation if they were planted then it does not make it the worst case in the U.K. No. As had been said it is not the estate owners fault he killed some things he shouldn't have done but the lack of training he had been provided with to do his job is.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying yes he done wrong as he admitted but if he did not do as wrong as what's being made to believe was the sentence unjust? If you take the 9 common buzzards that were in the sack out the equation if they were planted then it does not make it the worst case in the U.K. No. As had been said it is not the estate owners fault he killed some things he shouldn't have done but the lack of training he had been provided with to do his job is.

You're calling the killing of protected species, by a professional gamekeeper, a 'lack of training' ?

Wow. Just wow.

At Centreparcs last year, we attended a wonderful talk on Owls, not many people there, just us and another family we had gone along with. The chap giving the talk was from Yorkshire and when i mentioned the reintroduction of Red Kites on the Harewood estate near us, he explained that because of the breeding programme, the Red Kites are wiping out everything below them in the food chain.

It's what happens when we meddle.

This is true to some extent, but Red Kites were once more numerous in our towns and and cities than Seagulls are now.

Seagulls have come inland due to depleting fish stocks in shore and the rich pickings to be had from human waste which was in past years the same reason why Kites were so numerous.

When we started cleaning up the cities, the Kites were forced into the countryside looking for food and then came the persecution, like it or not by the shooting community.

Nature will always find a balance if left alone, populations will fluctuate in line with the food chain, Raptors eat poults so if you breed them in numbers expect the raptor numbers to take advantage of the available food source to increase their numbers accordingly. Their breeding cycles are all reactive to food availability.

Every species in Britain which is red listed in decline, is subjected to different triggers ( excuse the pun) be it persecution, domestic cats, loss of habitat, farming practices or even climate change, the one thing that links all these is the interaction of Man.

Shooting estates, Grouse or Pheasant will have to accept the increase in predation or find other ways of protecting the birds..the problem is birds bred under cover and released are not wild birds and never will be, they just don’t have the savvy to adapt quickly enough to survive natural predation.

As for Red Kites…I believe we should be quite radical now with them. They are expanding and artificial feeding to sustain their numbers should be reduced and subsequently ceased…They should be allowed to colonise naturally and if they cant survive without artificial help so be it.

As for the GK..he broke the Law and he got caught, the courts decided his punishment and that’s the end of it. The next one however will probably get a custodial…and there will be one !

And the domestic Cats..well as far as I am concerned they are totally superfluous and if people want to keep them should keep them indoors. Any cat wandering across my property gets blasted with the high pressure hose and I don’t discriminate either.

Next door is a sad individual he actually, proudly, gave me an inventory of the gifts his horrible pet had presented him with just this summer… Innumerable shrews, mice, & voles, baby rabbits x 4, baby hedgehog x 1, Weasel x 1, Rats x 2, slow worms, grass snake, Robin, Hedge sparrow, x 2 Chaffinch x 3, Black Cap x 1, Blackbird Juveniles x 9, Song Thrush x 1, Canary x 1 ( One of mine the ****** !) Willow Warbler x 1, Pheasant chicks 4 in one day and even a bloody male Bull Finch. !

Wildlife hasn’t got a chance.!

I must admit i have no knowledge of this case but why is everyone so convinced everything printed is 100% accurate?

Not long ago u had doors getting kicked in all over invernessshire looking for the person who poisoned 22 BoP's now it turns out in may have been the RSPB/feed station it's all hushed up

From wot i read in the BBC thing i thought he was denying it and he said the birds were left, maybe far fetched but some of these anti's are not exactly the most sane people ur dealing with.

I just find it very strange that u would have as many birds hidden in a feed sack in ur garage, doesnae make much sense to me to bring protected birds home and leave the there to be found??.

Soetimes i think folk just automatically assume they ae guilty even when some of the 'facts' seem a little iffy

Allen Lambert, formerly a gamekeeper on the Stody Estate, near Holt, appeared at Norwich Magistrates’ Court and was found guilty of two charges relating to the killing of 10 buzzards and a sparrowhawk, and possession of pesticides and other items capable of being use to prepare poison baits.

The 65-year-old had earlier pleaded guilty to five other charges includes three offences of illegal storage and use of pesticides and unlawful possession of nine dead buzzards.

The matter has been adjourned for sentencing at Norwich Magistrates Court on November 6.

On April 4, 2013, an RSPB investigator followed up a report of dead birds of prey in a wood on the Stody Estate.

Pictured: Pesticide Phosdrin (mevinphos) and needles - which the court heard was typical of a so-called

Pictured: Pesticide Phosdrin (mevinphos) and needles - which the court heard was typical of a so-called "poisoner's kit". Picture: RSPB

The remains of five buzzards, a sparrowhawk and a tawny owl were found and appeared to have been dumped in the wood. The birds were recovered and subsequent analysis confirmed at least one buzzard and one sparrowhawk had been poisoned by the pesticide mevinphos.

This was a former agricultural pesticide but banned from use in 1993.

Later that day, officers from Norfolk Constabulary, supported by Natural England and RSPB visited Lambert’s home at The Old Lodge at Stody.

A search of his Land Rover vehicle and unlocked storeroom found two containers of the pesticide mevinphos and a further container with the pesticide aldicarb, a substance also banned from use in 2007. Both of these highly toxic products have a long history of abuse for wildlife poisoning.

A ‘poisoner’s kit’

The banned pesticides mevinphos and aldicarb are highly toxic products which have a long history of abuse for wildlife poisoning.

The laying of poisoned baits in the open countryside to kill birds and animals has been illegal for more than 100 years.

One of the pesticide containers was found in a yellow bucket with a syringe and a number of needles.

The court heard how such items are often referred to as a “poisoner’s kit” and are used to inject poison into eggs or carrion.

The laying of poisoned baits in the open countryside to kill bird and animals has been illegal for more than 100 years. One of the pesticide containers was found in a yellow bucket with a syringe and a number of needles. These items are often referred to as a ‘poisoner’s kit’ and are used to inject poison into eggs or carrion.

Investigators also found a game bird feed bag on a quad bike in an outbuilding at Lambert’s home, which contained the bodies of nine buzzards. Analysis by a government laboratory confirmed all nine had also been poisoned by mevinphos.

The prosecution maintained these had been poisoned on the estate and collected by Lambert for disposal. However, the defendant denied killing the birds and said he believed they had been planted on the estate by a dog walker with a vendetta against him. He said the bucket containing the “poisoner’s kit” had been left in his cluttered garage by a now-deceased friend who had thought he might find it useful and it had remained unused for years.

However, district judge Peter Veits pointed out several discrepancies in the defendant’s version of events had undermined his credibility as a witness.

It must have been an easy verdict to reach.

Edited by Gordon R

I pasted this over from the BBC news link posted earlier

During the trial Lambert claimed a dog walker with a grudge against him had planted the dead birds, but the district judge said his theory was "implausible".

Earlier the court was told Mr Lambert still claims he was not responsible for the death of the birds and he only kept the poisons to deal with "a tricky fox".

I have not idea wot or how good the evidence was or how easy it was to reach the verdict.

But i do not automaticaly want to believe the worst every time a dead BoP turns up. It may be unlikely but remember some of these anti types used to think nothing of digging up dead realatives graves

Makes absolutely no sense for someone to carry all thoose birds home

Quie a few years ago i was at a talk given by the local wildlife cop, long story short 4 buzzards were found posioned in a field on a smallish est, 2 then another 2 1 month later, these were found in a field in full view of the local bus route at a time of year when the diy keeper is hardly ever on the est. If that keeper really did want to do something illegal he had about 1500 acres the other way which are well out of sight. And even if u were up to no good and 2 are found u do not go back to the same very public spot only a month later to do the same again

Just sometimes things dinae add up

It must have been an easy verdict to reach.

Unlawfully possession of 9 buzzards, nothing about taking there lives. I would assume his lawyer would advise him to plead guilty to this to lessen the sentence etc. I'm no law expert however. I agree with scotslad, why take them home? The man is not an idiot, why do that?? As for the RSPB feed station and the birds dying there... It all has gone rather quiet hasn't it... Don't you think.

U'd be surprised how many people could fall foul to illegal storage of pesticides.

Any round up (or any other weed killer/pesticide) not stored in the correct container in the proper manner u would be guility of storing a pesticide illegally, same with use if u are using them in a non prescribed way u could also be guilty of illegal use.

Any folk on here got concentrated 'farmer strength' weedkiller without having the relevant spraying tickets??

The evidence at first glance seems very damning but possibly it is not just as straight forward as it at first seems, esp when u take into account any exageration/poor reporting by the press.

I don't think there is any doubt he is an 'old school' keeper, given his age and having the chemicals in his posession. But i do think there could be a reasonbly doubt that he is responsible for all those carcass's, esp at the time of year, was it not spring time?? So no poults at wood etc, prob the time of year BoP's do least damage, unless he is a wild bird keeper when it could be the oppisate

Keepering has changed massively in the past 20-30 years and the 'old school' are now the exception and a very small exception at that.

I see the RSPB 'birdcrime' report is out, was an article on it in last weeks ST, included as confirmned poison cases was the 22 at carron bridge which are now not wildlife crime.

To be registered as a probable case in there stats it only needs a witness, no evidence, no police case/investigation, no missing BoP, for an unconfirmed it only has to be "possible a crime was comitted" and they dinae even keep the 3 types seperate so impossile to see how many reported 'crimes' fall into which category

Some of u further south may not have heard about the 6 'buzzards/BoP's' found dumped in a bag in aberdeenshire after a few doors kicked in and houses/sheds/outhouses throughly searched, the detaiked DNA anylisis showed them to be chickens!!!

U'd be surprised how many people could fall foul to illegal storage of pesticides.

Any round up (or any other weed killer/pesticide) not stored in the correct container in the proper manner u would be guility of storing a pesticide illegally, same with use if u are using them in a non prescribed way u could also be guilty of illegal use.

Any folk on here got concentrated 'farmer strength' weedkiller without having the relevant spraying tickets??

The evidence at first glance seems very damning but possibly it is not just as straight forward as it at first seems, esp when u take into account any exageration/poor reporting by the press.

I don't think there is any doubt he is an 'old school' keeper, given his age and having the chemicals in his posession. But i do think there could be a reasonbly doubt that he is responsible for all those carcass's, esp at the time of year, was it not spring time?? So no poults at wood etc, prob the time of year BoP's do least damage, unless he is a wild bird keeper when it could be the oppisate

Keepering has changed massively in the past 20-30 years and the 'old school' are now the exception and a very small exception at that.

I see the RSPB 'birdcrime' report is out, was an article on it in last weeks ST, included as confirmned poison cases was the 22 at carron bridge which are now not wildlife crime.

To be registered as a probable case in there stats it only needs a witness, no evidence, no police case/investigation, no missing BoP, for an unconfirmed it only has to be "possible a crime was comitted" and they dinae even keep the 3 types seperate so impossile to see how many reported 'crimes' fall into which category

Some of u further south may not have heard about the 6 'buzzards/BoP's' found dumped in a bag in aberdeenshire after a few doors kicked in and houses/sheds/outhouses throughly searched, the detaiked DNA anylisis showed them to be chickens!!!

Definitely Fowl Play then................................................................................................................................................................I'll get me coat

Don't think anyone is disputing his guilt, more the extent of it, and was his punishment fit for the crime.

I'd say his punishment was pretty leniant 'IF' all the eidence is exactly as reported, possibly it'd not hence the suspended sentance?

Unlike some on here i do not choose to automatically think/believe the worst and try to see wot makes some sense.

They actually reckon that a lot of red kites thrived in towns way way back in time, even going back to the plague era as would eat the dead bodies

Red kites probably are the nearest thing to a purely carrion eater there is, althou when number get ridiculasly high will target poults, ut most prey species won't know the difference a big set of wings is a big set of wings so will stress and spook the hell out of birds