s&b 8x56, why not?

foosa

It's new glass time for the .243, used only as a stalking rifle. I'm looking at getting a 8x56 schmidt but I've never actually looked through one so was just wondering if anyone can think of a reason not to get said scope? Any thing else about for similar money that is just as good or better?

It's new glass time for the .243, used only as a stalking rifle. I'm looking at getting a 8x56 schmidt but I've never actually looked through one so was just wondering if anyone can think of a reason not to get said scope? Any thing else about for similar money that is just as good or better?

S&B for me, I have S&B in 3x12x50 and Zeis 3x12x50 and the S&B is better.

Reggiegun

S&B for me, I have S&B in 3x12x50 and Zeis 3x12x50 and the S&B is better.

Reggiegun

That's the make of the spectacles he uses, ha ha ha and he still blames the scopes when he misses. Haha,

Swarovski for me as soon as funds/ wife allow , the ones reggie has are bang on clear as day,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Perfect scope for stalking. I've a S&B 8x56 on my .243 and it is very nice and clear, much much better than the Hawke, Nikko Sterling, etc. Might be worth having a look through a few at a gun shop before you buy.

My uncle has a Swarovski and a S&B and he say there is not much in it, except easily twice the price!

I had an S&B 8x56 on my 243 for a while and "upgraded" to a Zeiss 3-12x50. Mostly I wish I had kept the S&B.

I would get a fine reticule, can't remember what mine was but it was a bit heavy for long (for me) range foxes under the lamp.

Fantastic stalking scope and the light gathering capability at dawn and dusk is amongst the best (30mm tube).

the only reason is sometimes 8x is a little more than required, tested side by side with a 6x42 myself and a staking partner once agreed no difference in light transmission its all about if you want the extra mag and if you ok with the extra heft. You don't need more than 8x for stalking deer for sure

the only reason is sometimes 8x is a little more than required, tested side by side with a 6x42 myself and a staking partner once agreed no difference in light transmission its all about if you want the extra mag and if you ok with the extra heft. You don't need more than 8x for stalking deer for sure

You sure about that Kent? I've got a 6x42 Swarovski scope and can safely say the light gathering capability is nothing like as good as the 8x56 S&B.

If you get a chance take a look at meopta scopes... I've had S&B but have swapped to meopta...just another angle to look at...

just had a look at their website and they have a good range, what model Meopta do you have? What's it like in low light?

just had a look at their website and they have a good range, what model Meopta do you have? What's it like in low light?

Meopta use the same glass (or at least they did) coating might well make a difference and of course internals are different. I don't know what you have to do to get a S+Bender to loose its zero, hit it with a hammer perhaps but it will need a good thump

I use a 3-9x50 on my 243 I use it for everything..low light it's as good as S&B no issues at all....well worth the money and if you decide to do a little Lamping the 3-9x50 gives you the extra range, a 8x56 is a good scope but if you look at a fox at 150 yards under the lamp it looks awfully small were as something with a bit more mag will cover you for all eventualities...just my opinion.

I use a 3-9x50 on my 243 I use it for everything..low light it's as good as S&B no issues at all....well worth the money and if you decide to do a little Lamping the 3-9x50 gives you the extra range, a 8x56 is a good scope but if you look at a fox at 150 yards under the lamp it looks awfully small were as something with a bit more mag will cover you for all eventualities...just my opinion.

Effectively if you take 8x against you 9x it appears a whole 15 yards nearer, dunno about anyone else but I cant call range at night to within 15 yards either way of 150 yards.

The eye soon learns if your using the same mag over and over again, its especially hard if you have been doing a lot of target shooting and practice at 30x to drop down to the 6,7 or 8x level. Yet effectively 8x is eight times nearer than the naked eye 150 / 8 = 18.75 yards. now who cant take aim at a fox at 18 yards with open sights? indeed I think we have forgotten a lot over the last twenty years 150 /4 = 37.5 and this should effectively be fine for roe and foxes out to 150 yards and 4x was for many, many years the magnification of choice.

Its hard to forget about what the salesmen and advertising tries to tell us and put things in some perspective

Effectively if you take 8x against you 9x it appears a whole 15 yards nearer, dunno about anyone else but I cant call range at night to within 15 yards either way of 150 yards.

The eye soon learns if your using the same mag over and over again, its especially hard if you have been doing a lot of target shooting and practice at 30x to drop down to the 6,7 or 8x level. Yet effectively 8x is eight times nearer than the naked eye 150 / 8 = 18.75 yards. now who cant take aim at a fox at 18 yards with open sights? indeed I think we have forgotten a lot over the last twenty years 150 /4 = 37.5 and this should effectively be fine for roe and foxes out to 150 yards and 4x was for many, many years the magnification of choice.

Its hard to forget about what the salesmen and advertising tries to tell us and put things in some perspective

I here what your saying Kent but it's just my choice..I feel more comfortable with a 3-9x50 than I do with. 8X56 and I've had both..

Sportsman knocking them out at 499 I believe. .

yep already seen them and reserved one for pick up next week. I have 2 foxing setups with high mag variable Zeiss on them so the s&b will be a 100% stalking scope,low light dusk/dawn performance was my main concern in a no nonsense, good quality scope. I think 8x is plenty for deer work and the Hungarian 8x56 at under £500 new is just the ticket:) many thanks for sharing your views, helped up my mind.

yep already seen them and reserved one for pick up next week. I have 2 foxing setups with high mag variable Zeiss on them so the s&b will be a 100% stalking scope,low light dusk/dawn performance was my main concern in a no nonsense, good quality scope. I think 8x is plenty for deer work and the Hungarian 8x56 at under £500 new is just the ticket:) many thanks for sharing your views, helped up my mind.

keep it long enough and likelihood is it will loose nothing. I have a 6x42 and a 3-12x50 S+ Bender and both are worth more second hand now than a paid new. Out of the two the only one I might one day sell is the 3-12 as I have shot more with it on 3X than I have at 12x and I don't think I have shot a deer above about 8x with it, I can remember only one very distant fox taken at 12x (and I have had the thing on a gun for approx. 10 yrs or greater)