Mobile phone question

henry d

3G

In basic terms it Stands for "3rd Generation"

It's just a phone that can connect using newer frequencies which are outside the spectrum for older phones but also allowing better quality conections and higher bitrate transfer allowing your Video message and conference calls etc.

Taken from a Specification sheet on 3G

What are all the different international organisations doing?

European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) is working in Europe to develop technical standards for UMTS. 3rd-Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) is a co-operation between international standards bodies will make UMTS and third generation mobile telephony technical specifications. The founding members are: ARIB and TTC of Japan, ETSI of Europe, T1 (ANSI) of the U.S. and TTA of Korea. The work of these organisations will be announced globally by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). ITU coordinate world-wide spectrum and IMT2000 standardisation, harmonises regional regulatory policies and is a foundation and framework for 3G convergence across regions and technologies. UMTS Forum represents the opinions and views of the telecommunication industry and operators and GSM Associates is a mobile operator organisation. European Radiocommunications Committee (ECR) in European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administration (CEPT) handles European radio frequency related issues. European Union (EU) harmonises its 15 members UMTS implementation.

How is UMTS different from current second generation networks?

- Higher speech quality that current networks - Addition to speech traffic UMTS, together with advanced data and information services, will be a multimedia network.

- UMTS is above 2G mobile systems for its potential to support 2Mbit/s data rates.

- UMTS is a real global system, comprising both terrestrial and satellite components.

- Consistent service environment even when roaming via "Virtual Home Environment" (VHE). A person roaming from his network to other UMTS operators, user will experience a consistent set of services thus "feeling" on his home network, independent of the location or access mode (satellite or terrestrial)

Why is WCDMA called "Wideband"?

3G WCDMA systems have 5MHz bandwidth (one direction). 5MHz is neither wide nor narrow; it is just the bandwidth. New 3G WCDMA systems have wider bandwidth than existing 2G cdma systems (cdmaOne 1.25MHz), that's why the "Wide". There are commercial cdma systems with 20MHz bandwidth.

Are GSM/GPRS networks compatible with UMTS networks?

UMTS networks can be operated with GSM/GPRS networks. Systems use different frequency bands, so BTSs and mobiles will (should) not interfere with each other. Some vendors claim their core network (MSC/HLR/SGSN ect) and BSC/RNC are UMTS compatible, but most operators will prefer to build a totally separate/independent UMTS network. Some of the latest GSM BTSs can also have UMTS radio parts and share the same rack.

UMTS specification is design so that there is maximum compatibility between GSM and UMTS systems. Late 2002 there will also be dual/multi band phones that can be used in GSM and UMTS networks. Eventually phones will be able to do handovers between networks.

3G networks (UMTS FDD and TDD, cdma2000 1x EVDO, cdma2000 3x, TD-SCDMA, Arib WCDMA, EDGE, IMT-2000 DECT) are the latest cellular networks that have data rates 384kbit/s and more.

LG

Just seems a bargain at £59.99 with headset and 1G micro SD card, pay&go as I don`t use the phone much(yeah no friends!)@ £20/quarter, it has a 1.3 mp camera which is the main attraction and my old phone is 6-7years old and I don`t think it will last many more years.

HD!

To be perfectly frank MOST mobile phone cameras are **** :rolleyes:

There ARE a few exceptions but on the whole you would be better off getting a stand alone camera.

I have seen some of these alledged 2Mp mobile phone cameras take pictures WORSE than my old 300k samsung camera :rolleyes:

I now have a 1.3 MP camera in a PDA and again it's NAFF i had better from a 1MP Kodak :rolleyes:

LG

On the other hand I have a 3.2MP sony ericsson and the camera is tops for when you don't have a digi cam on you

I also have a sony erricson k600i? with a 1.3MP or 2MP camera (can't remember) but i find the quality on that is also crud when blown up to full screen on the PC :blink:

I know one of the new Nokia phones has an astounding camera. When i was first shown a picture from it i was very sceptical to beleive it HAD came from the hpone till i was used as a subject (not a good one) but the photo was again excellent (just not the face) lol.

I also find Lens quality helps a great deal when it comes to a camera not just the MP rates.

Often i see people buy 6MP cameras raving at how cheap they get them and really pee them off by showing them the pics taken from an old Sony 2MP camera that whops their 6MP pics.

All due to lens quality and a LOT of 6MP being interpolated rather than a TRUE 6MP they are say 3MP and then software boosts it to 6MP losing quality :lol:

LG

I have a stand alone camera and it is the nads, but to save hauling this half brick everywhere I thought it would be useful, it would have saved a lot of bother when some bimbo rear-ended my daughters car and then did a runner, it took 10 months to track her down !!

HD!

For that i know they are good. I was relating more to if you wanted GOOD pictures.

I recently used MY phone camera to take a pic of a guys car after he hit my car.

What if this ridiculous new law relating taking photo's comes into force? Then if you take a photo of a car with a child in without consent you can land in trouble :blink:

LG

The 2mp cameras on the sony ericsson phones are good, the 3.2mp SE phones (as mentioned by millomite) are exceptional for a camera phone, it really is a cut down sony cybershot camera with a phone tacked on. It has shutter speed / lighting adjustments as well as some other toys - I don't know of a better choice right now.

There is also the Nokia N93 smart phone (its a computer with a phone stapled to it) also has a 3.2 megapixel camera, decent lens etc however it is the most awkward thing to use in the whole world, looks like something out of a bad 50's B-Movie and costs a fortune.

The 2mp cameras on the sony ericsson phones are good, the 3.2mp SE phones (as mentioned by millomite) are exceptional for a camera phone, it really is a cut down sony cybershot camera with a phone tacked on. It has shutter speed / lighting adjustments as well as some other toys - I don't know of a better choice right now.

There is also the Nokia N93 smart phone (its a computer with a phone stapled to it) also has a 3.2 megapixel camera, decent lens etc however it is the most awkward thing to use in the whole world, looks like something out of a bad 50's B-Movie and costs a fortune.

Thats the one i was on about!

Can take broadcastable quality video it's a good spec phone but a little on the bulky side for me :lol:

LG

this is a picture taken with my sony ericson k800i with a 3.2 megapixel camera, not bad for such a small camera.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/flash42/DSC00038.jpg

cheers

flash

Thats a good photo for a phone camera :blink:

I think the whole thing with the Phone cameras is perhaps it was intended more for take a photo and send it between phones rather than desk tops?

As i say i have a Sony Erricson (sure it's a 2MP) but i was more happy using my Fuji camera :lol:

I think a great portion of the problem is the size of the lenses on the Phone cams being a lot smaller than a Camera and not alowing as much detail into the lens as you would expect?

Or perhaps i just expect too much from a phone camera :blink:

LG

i've got a nokia with a 3.2MP camera, and it has a Carl Zeiss lens. and i'm totally with millomite on this. really handy for when you dont have a digi-cam on you. the quality of the pictures are pretty impressive for a phone, as is the video footage. it comes with loads of extras too (to keep the child amused :blink: ).

oooo and although i have had a video phone for about 2 years, i never used it until a few of us in the office all discovered we were in the same boat. needless to say, much daftness was had by all :blink: