switch over/under to side by side

will2490

Whats the most common shotgun confiruration on a game shoot these days ?

12g O/U 30" with a 32gram 5/6shot cartridge in fibre wad - this is my guess !

ATB

Matt

Not if you dont want to be bashed black and blue by the recoil.

A nice lightweight game gun will want 28gr loads, 30gr at top wack and not many of them. A heavier gun such as the Winchester 23 then you could get away with 30s and 32s at a push.

When my dad shot he used a SBS hammer gun, Eley Maximum 34gr was his normal load through 30 inch full choke barrells. Took me years to get him to try another gun ( AYA Yeoman) with open chokes, lighter payload and smaller shot. In his final season he was using Gamebore White Gold 7.5s to very good effect.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my 2 pence worth, usually shoot a beretta 682 ltd, and had a 687 el game gun in 12g. The 687 was sold on as usually go ruff shooting and worried about getting it scratched/ falling and damaging it. Replaced it with a victor sarasqueta sidelock that I got for a couple of hundred. Put a thick recoil pad on( orange in colour) and did the stock up. If you look through my previous posts you will come across it. As it is a 70mm chamber I can use a wider variety of shells instead of a 65mm English gun. It looks the part and is very similar mechanically to an aya number 2. I shoot as well with it as I do a o/u and can fire the scions trigger nearly as fast as a single trigger. The chokes are 1/2 and 3/4. I usually use 30g number 6 black gold but don't find the recoil excessive as the gun fits really well. I can walk most of the day with it in the crook of my are with no discomfort as appssed to an o/u that does not feel as good. If your thinking of a sxs then do it, I have no regrets and prefer the light sxs to a ou for my style of shooting. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Went over to a sbs some years ago (Gunmark de lux made by Arrietta I gather) and love using it. Having said as much I shoot high birds better with my 20b ou so alternate as the need arises. Took the sbs out for our first syndicate days and shot 3 pheasants and 4 partridges out of our modest 78 bag by 20 guns (10 walk/stand) so a good start.

had the aya out this afternoon crow decoying. the fit is good. no noticable difference in recoil from the O/U. putting it down to the fit and the beavertail fore end,very comfortable grip. didnt take too long getting used to the double triggers either and the semi pistol grip makes it feel more familiar. so yea. Its only one trip out I know, but so far so good! welk pleased, glad I swapped

I like the idea of a sxs, and even used to own a cheap Belgian import which I used to have for those without a gun which I eventually gave away, but for some reason I have never found one I can comfortably reach both triggers on without having to adjust my grip.

You are not supposed to be able to reach both triggers without changing your grip that is why double trigger guns have straight hand stocks and not pistol grips

You are not supposed to be able to reach both triggers without changing your grip that is why double trigger guns have straight hand stocks and not pistol grips

+1

I would imagine that not being aware of that little titbit is the one reason more than any other which puts people off the sbs particularly if they've tried one with any other than a straight hand stock.

Guest cookoff013

Double trigger guns have a unique ability to be loaded with 2 different shells. Load up 28g 6s then 36g 2s on the back trigger.

You can select the 36g for the first shot. Decoy shooting is for volume shooting so cartridge choice is immaterial.

Its great being able to just go to the back trigger, left barrel and shoot distance targets.

I started doing subs for the sxs. Light recoil but hits hard.

I picked up a sxs for about a £100 from GunWatch, the guy's in Essex and usually has a few of them. It had a pistol grip and beavertail forend, was a bit odd getting use to the double trigger at first, forgot to use the second one a few times!

But apart from that it was great. Can't go wrong for £100.

I love my side by side. It's harder to shoot with unless whatever it is your shooting is coming straight at you or going away.

But I wouldn't be without it, I think everyone should have one in there cabinet and for a decent aya for around £200 it's not going to break the bank.. And ideal for walking around with.

Lee

+1