Advice please, struggling with new rimfire

7daysinaweek

Hello all,

new to the forum and looking for some advice if possible.

been shooting a .22lr for a few years and have just purchased my first .17hmr this week (cz455 thumbhole with lepold 3-9x50 vrx scope) i have zeroed at poa straight off at a 100 yards and getting just over 1 inch groups off rest using hornady vmax 17gr. been out last 2 days shooting out of vehicle window and have taken several shots at magpies and crows around 70-130 yard mark and have not hit a thing, getting a bit frustrated!. wind has been 10-20 mph, how much does wind affect .17, also should i be holding under, over for these ranges? Have been told by a couple of people who have the same gun that should be flat from 50- 130 yards, am beginning to think not?. i am used to shooting the .22 which requires regular adjustments for holdover etc, or is it just me, should i re-zero?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Assuming your shooting stance in the car is as per the one used for zeroing and also a 2" sight height together with the advertised velocity, then the figures indicate a plus of c0.2" over zero at 70 yards and a minus of c1" at 130. 15mph cross windage for the same ranges is c2.5 and c8.5" respectively.

Edited by wymberley

What are you resting on ??? and what part of the rifle are you putting on the rest ???

Are you taking head shots ??? no need to with the HMR just center mass will do.

At wymberley says the wind will blow them off quite a bit, and its been windy the past few nights, well round my way it has. I would say try and check zero using the same technique as you were using in you vehicle and see how it goes. I bet with the different rest and the wind you will find your problem.

What are you resting on ??? and what part of the rifle are you putting on the rest ???

Are you taking head shots ??? no need to with the HMR just center mass will do.

At wymberley says the wind will blow them off quite a bit, and its been windy the past few nights, well round my way it has. I would say try and check zero using the same technique as you were using in you vehicle and see how it goes. I bet with the different rest and the wind you will find your problem.

Hi Doughy

i initialy zeroed off the bonnet on a soft rest in a standing position on a day with no wind at all, i am now shooting out of the vehicle with the forestock resting on the wing mirror. have been shooting at magpies on stubbles on large flatfields, has been windy both times i have been out probably 10 -18mph wind at a guess.

Its the wind thats getting you. Youl just have to learn how much drift side to side to allow for (like you wouldve learned for the .22 holding over or under by how much depending on distances).

Hi Harry, thanks for replying

so i can can i assume that the .17 is more affected by wind than the .22 even at distances of the lower end such as 50-60 yards and would have to allow for more windage left to right for a .17 as opposed to a .22 in the same conditions.

Regards

Hello all,

new to the forum and looking for some advice if possible.

been shooting a .22lr for a few years and have just purchased my first .17hmr this week (cz455 thumbhole with lepold 3-9x50 vrx scope) i have zeroed at poa straight off at a 100 yards and getting just over 1 inch groups off rest using hornady vmax 17gr. been out last 2 days shooting out of vehicle window and have taken several shots at magpies and crows around 70-130 yard mark and have not hit a thing, getting a bit frustrated!. wind has been 10-20 mph, how much does wind affect .17, also should i be holding under, over for these ranges? Have been told by a couple of people who have the same gun that should be flat from 50- 130 yards, am beginning to think not?. i am used to shooting the .22 which requires regular adjustments for holdover etc, or is it just me, should i re-zero?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

You car is moving with the wind also not so easy to get the rifle locked out as you body will always be twisted in the seat as it is at right angles to the window........

TEH

You say out of window, I assume you mean drivers side. Do most of my shooting like this, . just a few points

1. my hmr cz likes a firm hand,

2. you only have a very narrow comfortable field of fire.

3. have the seat back upright to enable you to brace yourself against it.

4. stop engine for longer shots.

5. some vehicles have a sharp edge on top of mirrow, put some tape on it to save stock.

6. sight in and practice from the same place as you do you normally shoot, the car seat

7 rest the stock, not the barrel .

8. 75 yds zero works best for me

Edited by joe soapy

You say out of window, I assume you mean drivers side. Do most of my shooting like this, . just a few points

1. my hmr cz likes a firm hand,

2. you only have a very narrow comfortable field of fire.

3. have the seat back upright to enable you to brace yourself against it.

4. stop engine for longer shots.

5. some vehicles have a sharp edge on top of mirrow, put some tape on it to save stock.

6. sight in and practice from the same place as you do you normally shoot, the car seat

7 rest the stock, not the barrel .

thanks joe for advice

i certainly notice the difference between the recoil from the .17 vs the .22, will zero from that position and will put advice into practice.

Regards

thanks joe for advice

i certainly notice the difference between the recoil from the .17 vs the .22, will zero from that position and will put advice into practice.

Regards

No prob, enjoy.

personally i would ditch that scope in favor of a smaller objective, currently using a 6x 40, but lusting after a 24 mm scope with turrets.

May be a minox or a C-more, I think the bigger heavier scopes upset the centre of gravity on a hunting rifle.

Also, when you are driving and shooting the outfit needs to be easily controlled with one hand.

Have ditched the bipod as well, If rifle makers thought they were a good idea they would have put a decent mounting rail underneath!!