Small bore capabilities

njc110381

I've been thinking of getting a cheap .410 or 28g for use around the farm yard. I don't know which would be best for me. I read a magazine article some time ago about using a 28g for decoying pigeons so they must have respectable power, but know nothing of the .410! Are they just a ratting gun, or could it be pushed to rabbits and pigeons at closer range? I know poachers used to use them, but I'm talking humane use not just knocking them down to be caught. I've also looked at guage reducers, but that's a different topic! Any advice on which gauge to go for, and also cartridge price? I'm heading towards a .410.

Remember the .410 throws it's pellets at the same muzzle velocity as a 12 bore, it's just that there are a heck of a lot fewer of them to kill the quarry, therefore your aim needs to be more accurate as the effective pattern width is much smaller.

They still make a hell of a bang, and the ammo is expensive when compared to a 12 bore, (can never work out why..??).

I would opt for a 12 bore every time if you're shooting live quarry.

Cat.

I'd say the cost is related to production numbers. I think 99% of shooters use either 12g or 20g. The reason I'm after a smaller guage is well related to Cats comment. Sometimes the close range rabbits that I hit are really mashed up with the 12g, and are not edible. For shots like these, and also for close squirrels and rats, I need less power. Rats don't matter if they're destroyed because I pick them up with a shovel anyway, but food species needing the shovel is a waste :(

There is a good 28 bore Investarm currently for sale in the Firearms section of airgunBBS by Ballie who posts on here. I looked to see if it is listed in PigeonWatch sales section and I can't find it. Don't know why since Ballie posts here on PigeonWatch mostly. But anyway, it is a good gun which has had very little use.

I'd say the cost is related to production numbers. I think 99% of shooters use either 12g or 20g. The reason I'm after a smaller guage is well related to Cats comment. Sometimes the close range rabbits that I hit are really mashed up with the 12g, and are not edible. For shots like these, and also for close squirrels and rats, I need less power. Rats don't matter if they're destroyed because I pick them up with a shovel anyway, but food species needing the shovel is a waste :lol:

Hi njc if your shooting rabbits for the pot at close range with a 12b aim off a little so that just the edge of the pattern catches them, with practice its not difficult.

As far as the .410 goes most sb come in full choke and make quite a hole at short range, not to be underestimated, for farmyard work a good air rifle takes some beating, good luck with your final choice. :( D2D

try using a 12b with a really light load and open chokes. it will still have huge killing power at short ranges - cheap too. the best solution is probably an air rifle - no danger of damaging anything in the yard, discreet and good fun! or buy a jack russell and wave the rats goodbye.

Buy a S/H SB 410 for £50 or so and add a Hushpower moderator and you have a very effective and discreet vermin tool out to around 25 yards or so, will not disturb anyone or livestock.

I couldnt agree with the above more. One of my permissions is a bit sensitive due to there being horses etc about, so I got a webley b/a .410 and stuck a 9 inch hushpower silencer on it. Its fantastic for rabbits etc out to about 30 yards, though I only take pigeons out to a max of about 25.

ZB

same here an Anny .410-3" b/a with a hushpower mod. Have even shot a pigoen up a tree and a few yards away rabbits were playing - spoilt their game. It still makes quite a bang but for some reason doesn't cause too much disturbance. bit tight on the choke a 28bore has alot more range also with 28g of lead against 18g with 3" .410 but no moderators will fit.

Also use moderated air rifles alot - very effective. :lol:

I've been thinking of getting a cheap .410 or 28g for use around the farm yard. I don't know which would be best for me. I read a magazine article some time ago about using a 28g for decoying pigeons so they must have respectable power, but know nothing of the .410! Are they just a ratting gun, or could it be pushed to rabbits and pigeons at closer range? I know poachers used to use them, but I'm talking humane use not just knocking them down to be caught. I've also looked at guage reducers, but that's a different topic! Any advice on which gauge to go for, and also cartridge price? I'm heading towards a .410.
for rabbits I dont think a 410 can be beaten, get one chambered for 3 inch magnum I used to shoot rabbits with nothing else.

a 3 inch mag no 6 or 5 will drop dead a bunnie at 60yards easily the hitting power of a 410 is around the same as a 12 bore at the same distance. cartridges are about £5 for 25 for magnums

same here an Anny .410-3" b/a with a hushpower mod. Have even shot a pigoen up a tree and a few yards away rabbits were playing - spoilt their game. It still makes quite a bang but for some reason doesn't cause too much disturbance. bit tight on the choke a 28bore has alot more range also with 28g of lead against 18g with 3" .410 but no moderators will fit.

Also use moderated air rifles alot - very effective. :lol:

Same set up as mine however using std 2 1/2 inch shells in mine I find it very quiet, just makes a sort of metallic clack sound which does not sound like a Firearm discharging.

Can you get sub sonic .410 carts? The sonic crack will never be silenced, no matter how much kit you strap to it. Get some small, slow shells and you should find it much better I would think

Yep, you can get them. I dont bother but I have heard they are good enough, and no crack to worry about.

• 4 weeks later...

try ELEY fibre wads

i use a hushpower 410 , at the moment i use 2" and 2.5" carts plastic wads , the 3 " are just too loud.

have tried eley four long fibre wads and these are much quieter and make all the difference at night.

got some subsonics coming so looking forward to trying them out .

a 410 is a good little gun, i took the wife out shooting i had a 410 with me and said to her watch this a bunch of pigeons went over i fired and hit 3 of them.after that i got her a 28 gauge and she was hitting pigeons with it.