Looking to buy some camo net for a hide

I've been looking at a few bits of camo net to make a pigeon hide with, but they come in all sorts of sizes. I've seen them from 4'x5' which seems a bit small, to enough to hide a lorry! What is a good size to get? I want enough to make a hide against a hedge that wont be too small to move in!

I have 5 nets of different type and size in green/brown for general hide building, and 2 (cut from one big one) in sand colour for on the stubble. I also have 4 "sniper nets" which are about 4' square in green and meant to be draped over you but good for filling in on a hide on the sides.

Sometimes I use three nets, sometimes five and can make a single or double hide. I prefer a 75% scrim coverage rather than a 100% coverage to be able to see out better.

The point I am trying to make is that several smaller nets are easier to handle than some of the monsters you see out there, and easier to arrange into a hide.

If however you are limited to one net a 12'x5' would be a good choice, but if you can get a few of different shade/colour.

I've been looking at a few bits of camo net to make a pigeon hide with, but they come in all sorts of sizes. I've seen them from 4'x5' which seems a bit small, to enough to hide a lorry! What is a good size to get? I want enough to make a hide against a hedge that wont be too small to move in!

just buy a stealth net from uk shoot warehouse, job done :huh: :( :lol:

Can't agree more, cracking nets those. Very light, in strong sunlight you can see silhouettes through them but it seems to make no odds :huh:

Having something to make a back / roof is certainly worth considering if the circumstances require it.

just buy a stealth net from uk shoot warehouse, job done :( :lol::lol:

I'll second that..Excellent nets :huh:

just buy a stealth net from uk shoot warehouse, job done :lol::lol::lol:

Ok, cheers. I'll do that :huh:

It's only £40, bargain! Doesn't say how big it is though :(

Try cabelas.com from the "states" they do some very useful patterns. As well as your usual greens they have "mossy oak shadow grass" "dead duck" "max 4". During the winter and early spring the main background i am backed up against is hawthorn with long dead grass in the bottom, or hardwood trees.Apart from the odd ivy, holly, gorse, or conifer green camo is not needed in winter. Max 4 is excellent in winter. The experts tell us that light colours are best i am inclined to agree. The cream coloured stripes in max 4 break up the hide when veiwed from 50yds out. The bottle green scrim sticks out like a sore thumb. The nets from "cabelas" are 8ft x 20ft more than big enough and around 50 quid.

Im after some netting but dont want to be spending £40 yet on stealth net yet as dont know if there are pigeons on my permission as only been up once for a reccy. I have some net, looks like stuf for army surplus place which will do for roof on hide but need some for sides. seen some on ebay, think its £16 (new), that any good?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone use the hessian type stuff? On my one and only hide outing so far we used hessian to form a hide around a tree, on a railway line with hardwood trees all around, and even with out the leaves on the trees you'd a job to spot it from 70 odd yards.

Im after some netting but dont want to be spending £40 yet on stealth net yet as dont know if there are pigeons on my permission as only been up once for a reccy. I have some net, looks like stuf for army surplus place which will do for roof on hide but need some for sides. seen some on ebay, think its £16 (new), that any good?

Dont forget that to be really effective a good hide should have an almost solid pattern net as a background behind you.

sometimes, if you are wearing full camo and you keep still, you can get away without a hide provided you have a good background net.

The cheap £3 washing line props from Wilkinsons are very good as poles.

:sly: D2D

• 2 weeks later...

In my humble opinion i would get something at least 20x5 just in case you need to set up in the middle of a field with no cover,especially if shooting with a mate. As others have said the stealth nets are good(i have one) but i think are too small for many situations.